[Price-Watch Thread] for the MZ-RH1 in the UK

Rate this topic

1kyle

it depends... the 1st gen HiMD can be unhacked (the software limiter can be turned off) but not entirely (there are some resistors in there that lower the output (so hardware limited)

as far as I know the 2nd gen HiMD doesn't have this hardware part and should be completely hackable (well, we've found the hack and it seems to work)

and the RH1 will be hackable as well, once someone gets a look at the service manual

...but really,

- get yourselves some decent phones that lock out external sound (in-ear type) and even an unhacked NH900 is more than loud enough even in noisy environments

- respect your ears, you've only got one pair and if you need to raise volume above 'normal levels' to hear anything, you should just get out of there as it is too noisy anyway... killing noise with louder stuff is not the way to go

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I did jump myself into the deep end without doing my research. I just had the assumption that the Euro Editions were capped through PCB alteration. As much as the HiMD models can be hacked through firmware and the claim it would be pointless to create a limited PCB.....

Why has there been no hacks for the NetMDs (especially my N510) if its the case of the destination code mod?

Anyway, back on topic, I will most likely get a UK edition rather than importing from across Japan. I am just considering how much cheaper it will be in the end as UK prices are "normally" ripoff and overpriced.

there are a bunch of hacks (even more than the euro-uncapping) known for NetMD-models, but not for all models and as I never used NetMD I'm afraid I can't help you with that

if possible you could try to get an RH1 from germany, their tax (VAT) on electronics is lower (than Belgian VAT at least) and you'd still have a european warranty... but still most German e-tailers do not sell outside Germany (AFAIK)

As much as warrenty is quite nice to have, it's very unlikely the unit will go wrong. MD units are very well built together, and like my N510, its still going after several years.

I'm desperate for the RH1 because I'm a radio presenter and recording onto my MD (SP/LP2/LP4) would be so much more easier than recording it on another PC in MP3 then copying and pasting to my MP3 player.

I had to send in my NH900 for repairs (something mixed up the button functions) and the RH10 is known to show these problems as well... many other models are known for small (and not so small quirks)... I'm not saying you shouldn't buy from Japan... just saying it's not really unlikely there will be problems with HiMDs (after all, this model again is quite a big leap in technology and it is only launched with firmware 1.0)... Tunster, not meant in any negative way, but please read some more threads on these forums before stating things as obvious while they are not. (Hi)MDs are sturdy, but not all models are built without faults

besides, honestly, if you do not need it to record on the go, I guess recording directly in MP3 on a PC and then drag-n-drop to MP3-player actually is easier than recording on HiMD, uploading with SS, either converting to wav with SS and then to MP3 with something else or converting to MP3 with HiMD-Renderer, then transfering to MP3-player

I seem to have found a place that have the MZ-RH1B in stock in UK!

http://www.thehifistore.co.uk/eshop/products/MZRH1B.htm

still I'm not prepared to spend the full whack!!!

Lion

Lion

They Confirmed on the Phone that they have it in stock!! ;)

Lion

I had to send in my NH900 for repairs (something mixed up the button functions) and the RH10 is known to show these problems as well... many other models are known for small (and not so small quirks)... I'm not saying you shouldn't buy from Japan... just saying it's not really unlikely there will be problems with HiMDs (after all, this model again is quite a big leap in technology and it is only launched with firmware 1.0)... Tunster, not meant in any negative way, but please read some more threads on these forums before stating things as obvious while they are not. (Hi)MDs are sturdy, but not all models are built without faults

besides, honestly, if you do not need it to record on the go, I guess recording directly in MP3 on a PC and then drag-n-drop to MP3-player actually is easier than recording on HiMD, uploading with SS, either converting to wav with SS and then to MP3 with something else or converting to MP3 with HiMD-Renderer, then transfering to MP3-player

I wouldn't be recording my show on the RH1. I will be recording onto SP mode on the JE-480 we have at my hosptial radio station, then transferring it to whatever with the RH1. Radio uses MD an awful lot.

Also, I won't be using the RH1 just for that purpose. I don't see the point having every single bit of music I own on my MP3 player (which is brilliant however). I only listen to certain stuff, and love the music on some physical media. A hard-drive is more likely to go than a MD getting broken. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind one MD going, with a small proportion of my collection rather than all of it on one HD.

Edited by Tunster

Lion

They Confirmed on the Phone that they have it in stock!! ;)

Lion

mmm, it seems I succumbed to the temptation and ordered my MZ-RH1B from the above store in Cheltenham! So should get it next week! Apparently it was the only one they had in stock and it only arrived yesterday! so it was in and out of the door!! ;)

Can't wait!!

I dropped into www.cheapelectricals.com and they said that there was a delay with Sonys stock so wouldn't get any til 7th July!! The price in their suppliers catalogue was £203!

Lion

mmm, it seems I succumbed to the temptation and ordered my MZ-RH1B from the above store in Cheltenham! So should get it next week! Apparently it was the only one they had in stock and it only arrived yesterday! so it was in and out of the door!! ;)

Can't wait!!

I dropped into www.cheapelectricals.com and they said that there was a delay with Sonys stock so wouldn't get any til 7th July!! The price in their suppliers catalogue was £203!

Lion

I have just bought one from the Sony Centre in Harrow; it was the only one they had had supplied to them apart from the display model.

I quickly popped into my Sony Centre (Chelmsford). I'm sure LION has said already, but as to my disappointment, they won't be getting them until the 5th or 8th July (cannot remember now). I did ask whether there would be limited stock as there hasn't been any news of any other 3rd Gen units of yet. He said they should be well stocked because there has been alot of interest in this model.

As much as I don't want to wait, I may have to.

I just got mine from the Sony Centre in Plymouth, when I phoned up on Friday they had 4 in stock by Saturday lunchtime there was only one left !! very pleased with the unit I can't believe how small it is compared to my MZ-NH900

Can you please submit a picture with the RH1 side-by-side with the NH900. I'm curious, as I too have an NH900.

Hi

Just letting the people from the UK know that this place sells the MZ-RH1 fro £192.75 INC VAT.

http://www.qed-uk.com/q/?vp=5&bg=208&bp=rh1b&bi=0&ird=1117

I have purchased from them before, so i know they are trustworthy :ok:

I was thinking, perhaps there should be a new forum where people can post the best deals that they have found etc etc!!!

Edited by Ishiyoshi

Hi

Just letting the people from the UK know that this place sells the MZ-RH1 fro £192.75 INC VAT.

I was thinking, perhaps there should be a new forum where people can post the best deals that they have found etc etc!!!

The only downside for me is that I want the black version... (and obviously site only sells the silver one from what I read in the description).

Is it really worth saving 50 quid for a colour I don't want?

Great find tho!

Hi

Yeah I found this site last week, but when I phoned up they said they are bought to order and have none in stock. so said 14 to 21 days to come through after being ordered. But after the shortage at Sony it's more likely to much longer!!

Lion

How much was the RH1 from the sony centre?

Because i rang up my local Sony centre (in maidstone) and they said the RH1 will be £199.99!!! Although its not out yet?!

I think what they told you was the trade price. I went to see a guy face to face the other day. He quickly looked to see when they were in (June 8th - i think!). I asked the price and he stumbled to say £200, but then he said that was the trade price. He then looked at the till system and it said £250. I wouldnt reckon it would different prices across the country as that would be.......wrong.

You'd be safer to spend the full whack at the Sony Centre, be guarenteed you'll get one and be safe of a guarentee if it goes wrong.

I've bought online before for my electronic stuff, but I'm not prepared to buy online for this, for the sake of £10 - £50 saving. If you've got the money to spend, spend it. Eventually, I'll sell my MP3 player on eBay which I should get £100 - £150 from it to recover my finances.

Edited by Tunster

We have a thread as such but for eBay MD related items. I've edited and merged your thread with another similar one running concurrently to be an exclusive UK Price-Watch thread for now. Happy hunting folks! B)

Well, I've placed a pre-order on www.askdirect.co.uk! :D For £204! that is a fantastic deal. I bought my first MP3 player there (which I still have!) and are excellent, so I can trust them that they will have stock in beginning of June. I don't mind saving £50 which can go towards the HiMD discs I'm going to buy of eBay as soon as I know the RH1 is on my way ;).

Edited by Tunster

• 2 weeks later...

There are "some" online retailers that have managed to get stock in before Sony. I've ordered off askdirect.co.uk *as I said in my previous post*, but having rung them up a couple of times, they still don't know when they're getting their stock to send out.

This RH1 release plan (if it can be called that way) is really getting ridiculous. Its june now, and it looks like even the most up-to-date and dedicated stores only expect 3 to 5 units overall in the next 3 weeks (I still remember when Sony officially announced a wide May 2006 release). I don't know if this is Sony trying to create a buzz or just screwing things up again, but it makes me wonder whether or not that RH1 is ever gonna be released on a regular basis.

Oh well, I'll still have my brother wander the streets of London to get me one (lucky for me he lives there, because here in Paris the situation is way worse for minidisc fans).

Rang up the Sony Centre Galleria in Tottenham Court Rd this morning. They have one in stock, four on order, @£250.00.

So does that mean that they have some sort of on-order waiting list and the one they got in stock automatically goes to the first person on that list?

So does that mean that they have some sort of on-order waiting list and the one they got in stock automatically goes to the first person on that list?

I tried them today and they said it had gone.

However the Baker Street branch has one left. By chance I have to go to London tomorrow so they have reserved it for me.

So tomorrow night I will be 250UKP poorer but one MD richer, and will finally be able to start messing about with my legacy recordings.

[Apologies - I should have included the quote from GQ Smooth, not Norick. Obviously the excitement of getting an RH1 is too much for me.]

Edited by Hungerdunger

I am so happpppppy!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Just had a call from AskDirect and they've now got them in stock at £204! Just confirmed my order over the phone and they're dispatching it today, so hopefully I'll recieve mine tomorrow or friday! :D

Now I need to order some Hi-MD discs.

Just had a call from AskDirect and they've now got them in stock at £204! Just confirmed my order over the phone and they're dispatching it today, so hopefully I'll recieve mine tomorrow or friday! :D

Do they say how many they had in stock???

Nope. All he said to me is that they had some in stock and could dispatch it out to me. Give them a call and see how many they have. Surely they'll have more than one.

www.askdirect.co.uk

I am so pleased because I was on the verge of seeing if my local Sony Centre had some, and if they did, pay the extra £50 and cancel the AskDirect order. But talking of the devil, the AskDirect man called me up after I said that. :D

I've just ordered one online with ASKDirect then rang up to make sure i got one of the ones in stock, he said I had and it was already being processed. I asked how many more he had in and he said he *thinks* that was the last one since they only had a small order in (guy in the portable players department said they only had two in).

-zahg

Nope. All he said to me is that they had some in stock and could dispatch it out to me. Give them a call and see how many they have. Surely they'll have more than one.

www.askdirect.co.uk

I am so pleased because I was on the verge of seeing if my local Sony Centre had some, and if they did, pay the extra £50 and cancel the AskDirect order. But talking of the devil, the AskDirect man called me up after I said that. :D

Drat - picked mine up from Baker Street Sony Centre yesterday but had to pay the full 250UKP. Never mind - at least I've got one (and very nice it is too!!!).

The only trouble is my girlfriend can't understand why I need another one when I've already got three other models. That's women for you.

Drat - picked mine up from Baker Street Sony Centre yesterday but had to pay the full 250UKP. Never mind - at least I've got one (and very nice it is too!!!).

The only trouble is my girlfriend can't understand why I need another one when I've already got three other models. That's women for you.

They don't understand our crave for technology, lol. Like they are for chocolate I suppose.

My unit has arrived, but I'm still at work :(. Only 1 hour to go and I'll be playing with it all afternoon :D.