Does the Sony ECM-719 sound as good as the 717?

Rate this topic

Karl Engel

Was considering getting a Sony ECM-DS70P mic and came across this site

http://infos.0db.net/micros/compare/indexe.php3

which compares recordings made with this and a few other similar mics

including the Sony ECM-717... which sounds leagues better to my ears.

However the 717 appears to have been replaced by a newer model, the

ECM-719, which looks more like the DS70P except without the T-Bar

mounting. Anyone know if the 719 is similar-sounding to the 717? My

particular MD unit generates very little mech noise so I wasn't worried

about the T-Bar design specifically

Of course now that I've looked through this forum other mics like the AT Pro24 seem like the go (I'm in Australia) but I was definitely impressed with what was achievable with that little (and stealthy) 717

If you look at the french page, there is a comparison between the 719 and 717. The translation in English is missing, but it appears that the former 717 has better self-noise and dynamic range. You can get the sample sample here :

http://infos.0db.net/micros/compare/sounds/719_717.mp3

If you get the DS70P, I would recommend using some cord, as you could get motor noise from the MD otherwise.

Or contact greenmachine for his mics.

I use the ECM-719 for stealth taping. I'm satisfied with the quality but I always need to EQ since mid-range is always too prominent. The cause of this is the limited frequency range of the microphone: 100 Hz to 15 kHz. This means you will have almost no "deep bass" and your recordings will lack a little "air". Anyway, EQ seems to fix things for me...

I've just heard a Pearl Jam show taped with an Apex 162 mic.

I went to tradersden and downloaded that recording, which was made (it says) on an NH1. It's limited by the microphone, which only picks up 100-14,000 Hz.

Pearl Jam

May 9, 2006

Air Canada Centre

Toronto, ON, Canada

Source: Apex162 > MZ-NH1 Hi-MD (44.1kHz/16bit LPCM Stereo) > Hi-MD(m)

Whoever did the recording must have been in a great spot: everything the mic can pick up is crisp and clear, and you can understand every word Vedder sings (which is more than you can say about their albums!). But there is absolutely no bottom end, so the result is extremely tinny, like something being played through a three-inch speaker. I wish the person had brought some SoundProfessional BMC-2's and a battery module instead, or even some better mics--that recording would have been amazing.