goodbye sp-tfb-2s

Rate this topic

dex Otaku

I'm saying goodbye to my SP-TFB-2s as one mic element finally died on me.

If anyone knows where to get matched CZ034E [or others that are the same size, about 2.5mm high * 4mm diameter it looks to be] mic elements, please let me know. The TFB-2's plastic mounting hooks are easily reusable.

As for what killed the element that died - while on loan to another sound artist, one of the tiny black "screens" fell off [the one on the left element]. Ever since then [lacking anything even remotely durable to replace the screen with] I've had problems when there was any significant humidity.

The element finally gave out completely last night - somewhat ironically, since my last-ditch effort with the mic was to pull the screen off the right element, cut it in half so there was enough to the hole on each, and re-applied the new pieces. But no, it's dead.

This puts me out of location recording for an undetermined and possibly indefinite period of time. Yeehaw.

I assume you've confirmed this, but just in case not, are you outside the two-year warranty they come with?

Hmm. You know, I never even thought of this [purchase was July 2004]. I just ripped the cannister out of the plastic mount to see if it was reusable, so in any case I've already voided the warranty.

I just ripped the cannister out of the plastic mount to see if it was reusable, so in any case I've already voided the warranty.

Or looking at it another (the right) way, you just did some of the repair work *for* them :rolleyes: .

Honestly, it seems like it's worth an email to ask if they could take pity on you to repair/replace under the warranty, even if you did dismantle it. Seventy bucks is worth saving if you can.

Honestly, it seems like it's worth an email to ask if they could take pity on you to repair/replace under the warranty, even if you did dismantle it. Seventy bucks is worth saving if you can.

There is also the issue that these were purchased through Minidisc Canada, not Sound Professionals. MD-Canada no longer sells the TFB-2s, and I actually don't know what their warranty support was for them, but I sincerely doubt they'll cover any product that has obviously been torn apart by the user. I could always ask them, of course, but I don't expect much of a response.