Question about RH10's power adapter; JP --> UK

Rate this topic

johnsmells

just bought myself a lovely 'new' blue rh10 off of ebay. being a japanese model it is 100V (i think thats the voltage in Nihon). the problem arrises when i think about connecting it to 240 of her majesty's finest volts.

does anybody know how i can plug a japanese plug into my sturdy british three pin wall socket including changing the current so i don't turn my new toy into a rather expensive firework?

heres what the IDC plugs has to say about the japanese electrical system-

JAPAN (100VAC, 50 & 60Hz)

The Japanese plug and socket on first glance is identical to the North American NEMA 5-15 standard. However, the Japanese system which is described in JIS 8303 incorporates tighter dimensional requirements, different marking requirements, and mandatory testing and approval by MITI or JIS. Furthermore, standard wire sizes and the resultant current ratings are different than those used elsewhere in the world.

and these are its thoughts on the british wallsocket

BRITISH STANDARD (240VAC/50Hz)

British Standard BS 1363 requires use of a 3-wire grounded and fused plug for all connections to the power mains (including Class II, two wire appliances) British power outlets incorporate shutters on line and neutral contacts to prevent someone from pushing a foreign object into the socket. The plug is rated at 3-13 amps, depending on the fuse. BS 1363 was published in 1962 and since that time it has gradually replaced the earlier standard plugs and sockets (BS 546). It s used throughout the United Kingdom, Ireland, Hong Kong, Malaysia and also in Singapore.

thanks

oh, i just thought, would either of these work.

can i recharge through USB?

can i just go buy a standard UK RH10 recharge adapter from my local sony centre and use that instead?

cheers

Edited by johnsmells

does anybody know how i can plug a japanese plug into my sturdy british three pin wall socket including changing the current so i don't turn my new toy into a rather expensive firework?

US and Japanese plug types are identical - type A or B. Accordingly... for portable use, you should try and acquire Sony's AC-E30A Worldwide AC Power Adaptor (Rated Output of 3V DC, Rated Input of 100-240V AC, 50/60Hz and a Maximum Output Current of 1000mA DC) or its equivalent and a UK 3-prong adaptor plug as shown below:

IPB ImageIPB Image

can i recharge through USB?

Yes but you won't get a full charge via USB.

can i just go buy a standard UK RH10 recharge adapter from my local sony centre and use that instead?

Yes, as long as its specs are identical to the original or Sony's AC-E30A as mentioned above.

That's exactly what I'm using with my Japanese RH10. For my EH1 however, I use a multi-volt adapter bought from Argos for £6.99. Works absolutely fine. B)

ok, argos it is.

um, i guess it will be next to the hole i plug the adapter into, but could anybody tell me what voltage is right? also i'm guessing DC?

Im just thinking it might be written on in japanese

The RH10 needs 3V. But if you get the multi-volt thing, you'll be able to set it at 3V, 6V, 9V, 12V, etc., so it can be used with most things.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9829701.htm

Don't the Japanese RH10's come with 100-240V adaptor's anyway? In which case you only need the plug convertor (UK Visitor) available from any Argos / Dixons type store.

If the label on the AC adaptor says 100-240V input you're fine.

Edit: Just checked the JP RH10 manual and it seems to say it does come with the adaptor with 100-240V input.

Further edit: Assuming your JP RH10 came with it's original adaptor all you need is something like this:

IPB Image

But maybe that circular rim will get in the way of the pins, so if you can find a "flat" topped one that will probably be better.