recommend for old recorders?

Rate this topic

looonie

recently i spotted some 2nd hand md recorders going for dirt cheap so im wondering wat're the classics of the past years. im using it mainly to do field recordings and concerts. im thinking of buying one now cos i'll be going off to Nepal in 5 weeks' time and i want to do some field recordings of the performances there.

i've seen the Sony MZ-R50 being recommended as an old sturdy model, im just asking for more in case the shop doesnt have that model.

hey greenmachine, thanks for ur input.

i just downloaded the recordings u made with ur mics, the Gloria one is ace man!! like a real record!! who's that gloria anyway? another good one is "Zoo scene 04", u can pass if off as some avant garde field recording ;) i love the rumbling ambience. is it underground near some huge tank??

and, how much would u reckon a shipping of ur GM Standard mics cost to Singapore?

Thanks for your input. To be honest, i didn't even consciously notice the rumbling ambient noise when recording it, but i agree it sounds weird and interesting at the same time. It was recorded inside the lion's cave in a local zoo. It must be some kind of ventilation mechanism i suppose. Shipping costs are 3.5€ (~U$4.5) worldwide, the price of the microphone itself is open to negotiation. You're welcome to PM me for details if interested.

Hi

I concur with greenmachine that at minimum one the first generation models he listed would be your best bet, what with warranty, and the ability to upload your recordings. If you can put together some extra cas, the RG1 is the one to shoot for, but you won't go wrong with a 700 or 800.

Good luck,

Bob

BobT means the RH1.

There are basically four kinds of minidisc recorders:

1)original MD (like the R50), which recorded only in SP. (MZ-Rx or Rxx)

2) MDLP, which recorded in SP, LP2 and LP4 (compressed formats, twice and four times the length of SP) (MZ-Rxxx)

2)NetMD, which was MDLP plus fast download of music from PC to minidisc, but NOT upload

(MZ-N*)

3) Hi-MD, which allows you to upload your recordings to your PC for archiving, editing, etc. Hi-MD can handle a new kind of disc, 1GB, and pack more onto an older disc. Hi-MD also records, if you want top quality, in uncompressed PCM, which is the same as a CD--90 minutes on a 1GB disc--or to compressed formats. (MZ-NH* or MZ-RH*) There are also MZ-M* units that are compatible with Mac computers, but if you have a Mac then wait for the RH1, which is more flexible.

The Browser tab at http://www.minidisc.org has all the models.

For field recording at this point, Hi-MD is by far the best investment. Same recommendations as above--NH700 or NHF800, available for under $200 on Ebay or at http://www.minidisco.com or http://www.minidiscaccess.com . Both run on AA batteries, which will be the easiest thing for you to find in exotic places.

If you buy an old MD recorder, especially something a decade old like the R50, it may be used, it may be worn, and it will be far more inconvenient to use than a Hi-MD. The small extra initial investment for Hi-MD will be well worth it.

Edited by A440

If you are on a tight budget, you might also look at the Sharp units, which have easier to use manual levels recording. A unit that accept AAs (either internally or in the external case) is probably preferable, so you can buy them almost anywhere.

Just make sure that the R90 is working when you buy it. Repairing it will be more expensive than a new MD.

The R90 records only in SP, which means it only records for the length of the disc: 74 or 80 minutes. There is no computer connection, so if you want to burn the recordings to CD you will have to record them in realtime out of the headphone jack into the computer. (Or buy an RH1 someday to upload them from the disc.)

As long as you understand what you're getting, then go for it.