MiniDisc Addiction. Do you have one?

Rate this topic

alrose312

lol 64 does me just fine (for now) lol! :lol:

Stuge really shouldn't be making fun of your 64 kbps preference - he did buy the Bose TriPorts at retail (or more) afterall. :lol:

MDCF seems a little RH1-crazy lately. T-Board is less RH1-crazy, but more DH10P/NH3D- and definitely EH1-crazy.

Stuge really shouldn't be making fun of your 64 kbps preference - he did buy the Bose TriPorts at retail (or more) afterall. :lol:

Just don't reveal this bit of info to the folks at Head-Fi. :P

MDCF seems a little RH1-crazy lately. T-Board is less RH1-crazy, but more DH10P/NH3D- and definitely EH1-crazy.

Somewhat towards the RH1 for its ability to upload legacy tracks. ;) However, we sure do have a large number of DH10P/EH1 owners before the advent of RH1. As for myself, I just need to find time to prep a pictorial for my red DH10P.

Just don't reveal this bit of info to the folks at Head-Fi. :P

Somewhat towards the RH1 for its ability to upload legacy tracks. ;) However, we sure do have a large number of DH10P/EH1 owners before the advent of RH1. As for myself, I just need to find time to prep a pictorial for my red DH10P.

Man, just thought it was me. Since I saw the RH1 on web page on satyrday, I know I've gots to have it :D

I'm listening to some .flac files at the moment, I might find myself going to 352kbps soonish! :lol:

& what is that anyway? (Bose TriPorts)

Edited by danielbb90

Bose Triports are $150 headphones. A lot of people praise them for their comfort and sound quality, just as many people think that they are drastically over priced.

No offense, Nismo, but you're sugar-coating it a little (possibly to spare Stuge's feelings, I'd imagine, so that's fine). I think there is more TriPort bashing compared to TriPort praising, by a landslide.

Daniel: You know how people here generally react to someone buying an iPod? That's how people usually react over at Head-Fi when someone buys the Bose TriPorts, hence Ishiyoshi's comment about not revealing this info over at that forum. It's like feeding you to the lions.

No offense, Nismo, but you're sugar-coating it a little (possibly to spare Stuge's feelings, I'd imagine, so that's fine). I think there is more TriPort bashing compared to TriPort praising, by a landslide.

Daniel: You know how people here generally react to someone buying an iPod? That's how people usually react over at Head-Fi when someone buys the Bose TriPorts, hence Ishiyoshi's comment about not revealing this info over at that forum. It's like feeding you to the lions.

I like that answer, dousn't take much to understand it... :ok:

ROFL, I have heard of Head-Fi but not TriPort lol

Edited by danielbb90

Generally, when you pin down a Tri-port hater they'll admit that the phones aren't as terrible as they make out. Most folks I know think that the Triports would be an ok set of phones at a $50 pricepoint. As it is, I've listened to them myself in an Apple store and think they were comfy and with good EQ (not an iPod) settings, they can sound good. You can get much better headphones for less than half the cost of the Triports though.

Very true. I've heard the TriPorts on an iPod Shuffle. In fact, at most of the Circuit Cities here, they have the TriPorts hooked up at their CD listening stations. And, I feel that sound quality is highly subjective anyway. But, it's just that (most) Head-Fiers find anything labeled with "Bose" to be undesirable, not for sound quality alone, but for the overall package, which includes price, build, etc - things that should be taken into account when buying anything. And, as you know, the people over there will spend hundreds (sometimes nearly thousands), so it can't be just price that they're looking at when they object to someone buying the Bose TriPorts.

I`m not worried about Head-Fi & what they think about Bose or Triports :P( Since it can`t directly access Head-Fi) (Indian IP address Problem :lol:).

Also to tell you people i have stopped using Triports ;)

Edited by stuge

I'm addicted!!

I already owned a Sharp SD-SG11 (Den), MZ-N505 and a Sharp Hi-Fi with a SP MD recorder (in bedroom, forget model number) and have added the following this year so far - MZ-RH10, RM-MC40ELK, RM-MC38EL after selling my MZ-E10 with regret! In addition, last year I gifted a MZ-N505 to my parents and MZ-NF610 to my brother so I could send them MDs.

I bought a 100 pack of MDs so I could keep churning them out. Ordered a set of adhesive backed inkjet sheets so I can print labels for my MDs, keep them looking good. I'm a software engineer by profession and will probably write a software package to help me keep track of all the MDs before I go crazy.

On a related note, most of my music these days is from Satellite Radio (XM) and Yahoo Music Unlimited (on my PC through Creative Audigy's Optical Out)

• 2 years later...

After not using my minidisc (MZ-R700) for quite awhile I have gotten back in this year. Since March I have picked up an MZ-NF610, a Sharp IM-DR420H, and an MZ-M100 in that order. The first two were very inexpensive. Today I just received an MZ-NH600D in the mail, another relative bargain at $70 shipping included. Of course now I want a remote for it....

It is a little addicting, but there are so many available for inexpensively if you are patient.

Maybe the addiction has something to do with the fact that

MD is fading out and it feels like the moment you cant find

any more units around you may think you'll feel very bad if

you didn't take the prevision to be ready with a lot of units

and blank media to use the rest of your life.

Edited by Aleko

This is a great thread to resurrect. :dance3:

I have had the bug since around May 2002 when I bought my first portable recorder the ever so fine MZ-N1. I used it until the record head died and was fortunate enough to find a replacement in pristine condition about 2 months ago for 25% what I paid for the original!

I have been buying them up on eBay lately, I target the full metal bodied models, SP/MDLP/HiMD. I love them all. My wife thinks I am nuts!

I have also been really in to recording optical SP onto my MZ-N1 and MZ-N10 from my Sony ES9000 CD/SACD/DVD player. Depending on the source, the 292Kbps SP results can be fantastic!

I have around a dozen units now and may stop buying soon, prices are going through the roof on eBay for some of the better units.

This is a great thread to resurrect. :dance3:

I have had the bug since around May 2002 when I bought my first portable recorder the ever so fine MZ-N1. I used it until the record head died and was fortunate enough to find a replacement in pristine condition about 2 months ago for 25% what I paid for the original!

I have been buying them up on eBay lately, I target the full metal bodied models, SP/MDLP/HiMD. I love them all. My wife thinks I am nuts!

I have also been really in to recording optical SP onto my MZ-N1 and MZ-N10 from my Sony ES9000 CD/SACD/DVD player. Depending on the source, the 292Kbps SP results can be fantastic!

I have around a dozen units now and may stop buying soon, prices are going through the roof on eBay for some of the better units.

Same here, I have been recording on my MZ-M200 from the Sony DVP-S7000 DVD/CD/Video player using a digital optical cable on SP and man the sound is superb! (I HATE MP3)

Well I suppose I do to a certain extent, because Im quite often looking around for units under 100 dollars. and I've got about 10 machines at the moment...should be enough, why would someone be looking for more when it has already got 10? Blank MDs are becoming harder and harder to find, I dedicated yesterday to track them down but no store carries them any longer.

For last 6 months, I have been active in MD scene. Last time I was active was from 2002-2005. My MZ-N707's buttons are giving up, so I recently acquired MZ-N510 for $25 from ebay. Then, I acquired MZ-RH1 from ebay for $69.99 no accessories. And, last recently I got 64 Sony 74/80 min blanks for $30. I am bit on a MD fast now as it is difficult to convince my wife for this hobby of mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi my name is JP and I have a Minidisc addiction...

...it all started back in 1998 before my 18th birthday. I had enough of the pressures of a life with cassettes - the constant rewinding and forwarding - and I always wanted more. Then in a crowded digital event it caught my eye. I was hypnotised by the silver aluminium casing of the Sony MZ-R35. I was captivated. Amazed how the sales assistant pressed a button and the song would skip to the next. My heart began to race when I saw that the recorder could move, merge, delete, shuffle and best of all, would never become a tangled mess of magnetic string.

10 years later and I'm afraid its gone out of control. I have two portable standard MD recorders (MZ-R35 and MZ-R55), one play-only MDLP MZ-E510, one portable MDLP recorder MZ-N510, one Hi-MD recorder MZ-RH710, two car stereos (MDX-CA580 and MDX-CA790X).

I don't know what to do. I have nearly a hundred MDs or HiMDs that are used and nearly as many unused.

I don't know how much I can scrape and sell from my home but I keep seeing cheap MD recorders on ebay including HiMD recorders!!

My wife has tried buying me Network Walkmans and an iPod Touch, but non quell my addiction. I need more.

Please help i think I'm going to remortgage my house....

Probably it was just love at first sight that you cant really live without your MD. The last MD unit I bought was an MZN10. Will get the HiMD once I have enough cash. I have a lot of prerecorded MDs as well. At the moment I have 2 portables, 2 home units and 2 in car entertainment. Im still not convince the iPod entice me to change my medium of choice for listening music.

I got back into minidisc last year, my Iriver H140 packed in, and I lost a lot of music, I wondered wether to get a new one, but put up with playing music on my psp for a while. Needless to say, I was not happy with the music performance.One day,

I decided to get out my old minidisc deck and plug it into my home system having not played it for quite a while, Man! these discs, which i created over 10 years ago still rock! great sound.

I didn't have a portable, so I had a look on e-bay to see what was floating around, I had no idea what Hi-Md was, it completely missed my radar, such is the lack of advertising from sony.

I decided to buy a N1 for £20 and I was happy for a while (I later sold this and decided to stick with Hi-md), but I kept looking on ebay and started to notice the Hi-Md units. I did some research into it, thanks to minidisc portal.

Amazon still had the mz-rh1 but it was way too expensive, i researched it as it had positive reviews and it was very tempting.

Then one day, I noticed on ebay, reconditioned mz-nh1's (silver) for £20 each! wow, I though, I immediately bought 3.

The sound blew me away, I sold the other 2, so effectively got me going with Hi-Md for free, bought some Hi-Md discs from Amazon when they sold them for just £1.99 each (they are now back to £5 each)

I am now at the point where I have been buying different design blanks, making artwork for the discs using PressIt labels, and converting all my cd's to md's - Lets say I am hooked!

I love the creative aspect (I tend to put one artist per disc eg. all beatles albums on one Hi-Md disc or a double disc Greatest Hits on a standard MD)

, I love having unlimited storage, I love the reliability, and not to mention - THE SOUND QUALITY! These little discs are so good at reproducing music it knocks the socks off any mp3 player!

I am now interested in stockpiling as many Hi-Md units as I can to keep my going for as long as possible with MiniDisc. Later I hope to make myself a bespoke Minidisc storage bookcase for all my collection of Mindiscs (instead of lots of random boxes).Why weren't these available anywhere? And how big would a bookcase have to be to store 1000 minidiscs? ( I dont want them two deep, I want to see all the titles )

Just this week purchased from eBay for £120 - guess what? - yup, mz-rh1 (black), eagarly awaiting it's arrival. I will keep that next to my PC, not take it out. This will relieve my MZ-NH1 for just playing duties & possibly the odd outdoor recording, so I hope this extends both of their lives.

After that? errm.. an Mz-Eh1 looks nice, but finding a cheap one in good nick is like finding hens teeth, probably the RH10 next - cheaper, and also quite nice, but not as slim.

Edited by bridb

UPDATE ON MINIDISC BOOKCASE: I am now making one from some timber I found in a skip, its looking good (a 6 foot tall one, kind like a cd tower but wider, and 17 shelves,so it'll hold hundreds of minidiscs, maybe a 1000+, haven't worked it out yet), when I have it complete I will post some pics in the pictorial section! :D

I'm not sure wether to stain it or not, it's made of plywood, so sanded down it looks ok as it is, any suggestions?

maybe a nice teak stain.

Edited by bridb

My True Story:

"Hello, my name is Bluecrab and I'm a minidisc addict."

"Hello Bluecrab!"

"I got my first MD unit in 1999. It was a Sony MDS JE-510. My wife said I spent more time with it than with her, and that I was more affectionate towards it. At that point, I should have realized something was wrong, but I couldn't stop. Eventually minidisc took over my life. That's why I'm here. I need help."

"Thank you, Bluecrab!"

;-)

Edited by bluecrab

My True Story:

"Hello Bluecrab!"

"I got my first MD unit in 1999. It was a Sony MDS JE-510. My wife said I spent more time with it than with her, and that I was more affectionate towards it. At that point, I should have realized something was wrong, but I couldn't stop. Eventually minidisc took over my life. That's why I'm here. I need help."

"Thank you, Bluecrab!"

;-)

You've come to the right place, my prescription, take one minidisc, insert into player of choice, press play, close your eyes, enjoy, may need more than one application, repeat as necessary

Dr. Bob

My True Story:

"Hello Bluecrab!"

"Thank you, Bluecrab!"

;-)

Blue Crab , You will find no judgement here , your safe , and we understand . You just need to follow these simple 12 steps that we all learn and they will help you tremendously

just repeat them to your self out loud every day

#1 : I am Good , I really Am !

#2 : I dont need to overcome this , I really dont !

#3 : My Batteries Charge Just fine thank you , They really do !

#4 : I Need more discs , I Really Do !!

#5 : I Need more discs , I Really Do !!

#6 : I Need more discs , I Really Do !!

#7 : I Need more discs , I Really Do !!

#8 : I Need more discs , I Really Do !!

#9 : I Need more discs , I Really Do !!

# 10 : The MZ- R 50 is soooo Pretty

# 11 : The MZ RH1 is Soooo Pretty

and last but not least Number 12 which is so very important to remember

#12 I NEED MoRE diSCS , I REALLLy DoOoOo!

Just say these things 3 times a day , and you will feel MUCH Better . :crazy:

I do need more discs :)

I typically keep at least 30 1gb blanks in "stock" at all times..I think I'm going to order some more here soon. I usually order from Tapewarehouse www.tapewarehouse.com , however I will occasionally go to Guitar Center and buy whatever they have in stock, this is great because they will match TapeWarehouses price per disc ($2+) and I don't have the shipping that I would if I ordered them (which is like getting 2 blanks free)

5 portables, and one deck for me.

I have just recently obtained an extreme hate for Net MD aswell as Hi MD.

I ALWAYS run into problems when transferring from PC to MD... Sonicstage is just way too crappy for me to go on with.

I've even tried the hack version you can download from this forum.

meaning: about to sell my RH1, and n600d... I absolutely CANNOT stand to use remotes with portables.

I might keep my RH1 strictly for uploading of legacy discs, since all I use md for is recording vinyl.

Computers ruined MD.

However I am still completely obsessed with SP MD, and take pride in my big collection of PC-less discs.

been using the format since 1998/have no plans on stopping.

</complaining>

Aha, it's an addiction I'm suffering from. What a relief. I thought it was something to worry about.

Before April of this year I had never owned anything MD, although I had been using it professionally. Now I own a whole bunch of recorders, blank discs and accessories, but I still don't feel satisfied. The latter troubles me however. Where will this end?

Is there some rehab for us, in case we come to our senses? :lol:

Rehab = Hardoff , and a trip to Japan >>>>> To see all The Hardoffs here with a lot of money in your pocket !

Hard Off, as in

HARD OFF CORPORATION Co., Ltd. is a Japan-based company chiefly involved in the reuse business. The Company operates in two business segments. The Reuse segment purchases and sells various secondhand goods through the operation of stores, which are under the names of HARD OFF, OFF HOUSE, MODE OFF, GarageOff, HobbyOff, JUNK HOUSE, BOX SHOP and BOOK OFF. The Others segment is engaged in the provision of goods to franchise stores, as well as the receiving of merchant fee and royalty fee. The Company has one associated company.

Company website: http://www.hardoff.co.jp/

?

Odd name, but if it gives me a real and lasting one ... ;)

They Also Take US Dollars , at a little less than standard transfer rate .