my first recording came out mono...

Rate this topic

whatsleftofj

I'm not sure exactly what I did wrong. I've had my RH10 for about 5 months now, and I finally caved with a few extra bucks and bought a microphone. My local Radio Shack was going out of business, so I purchased an "electret condenser omnidirectional microphone." Put it in the mic hole on the unit, talked into the mic for a bit, and only the left side showed any volume fluctuations. Sure enough, when I played back it only came in through the left headphone. Anyone have any idea why that is? Did I just buy a crappy microphone? :(

wait just one sec with returning your unit... "electret condenser omnidirectional microphone" does not exclude in any way "mono"

- electret and condenser is only about the technique used to turn sound into electrical current

- and omnidirectional is about the 'directionality' of the pickup area of the mic. It means it will pick up sound from every direction around it, but it does not mean it records it in stereo

I have a Sony mic with the exact same 'descriptors' as above and it is (knowingly bought as) a mono mic. With mono mics, HiMD record only in the left channel...

I'm guessing the store sold you a mono mic without telling you (perhaps if you post the mic model/make someone here can already tell you whether this is the case or not)

Only if you've checked this I would start looking for malfunctions. Further it could also be a bad connection in the mic so it shouldn't (well hopefully for you) be the RH10

Look at the plug. Does it have two circles (like your headphone plug or the stereo attenuator I use for an avatar) or one?

One is a mono mic. You can get an adapter that will turn a mono mic into a stereo (actually two-channel mono) mic. Or get a stereo mic.

Edited by A440