Buying LIP-4WM

Rate this topic

unignal

I'm using DH10P and am considering buying an extra batt. I checked with the local sony spare parts service and was told I could get one for S$81 (around USD50).

Thats pretty expensive! So i check out ebay and was shocked to discover that these batteries are going cheap!

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?c...-4WM&category0=

Are these reliable? Also, how do i ship them to Singapore?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few forum members have purchased those LIP4WM coming from China and haven't had any problems with them ... yet. No one is currently for certain if these China-based LIP4WM are crappy like some of the China-based, fake NiMH gumsticks. Your best bet is to contact those eBay sellers and ask if they ship to Singapore. Good luck.

They are probably cheap knockoffs - ie. pirated copies. Just like the "New and Sealed" gameboy advanced games I got through an online etailer last week. They work fine and the games are out of print, so I don't feel any guilt (I would rather buy the real thing if they were in production)...well, not much.

So what to expect? Probably a battery that will have (at best) half the life-expectancy of the real battery. It that worth $5.00. Maybe so, but I haven't been willing to take the chance yet. Anyone else?

They are probably cheap knockoffs - ie. pirated copies. Just like the "New and Sealed" gameboy advanced games I got through an online etailer last week. They work fine and the games are out of print, so I don't feel any guilt (I would rather buy the real thing if they were in production)...well, not much.

So what to expect? Probably a battery that will have (at best) half the life-expectancy of the real battery. It that worth $5.00. Maybe so, but I haven't been willing to take the chance yet. Anyone else?

The thing is that, as opposed to pirated GBA games, a fake battery might damage the unit. Don't ask me how, I'm no expert, but I just think it could do smth...you know...inside :)

especially with NiMH batteries this damage can be caused by the battery swelling inside the unit so it gets stuck and even bends/breaks something or in a worst case scenario that the pressure gets high enough for the battery to burst and cause further damage

still, I dunno if LiIon could act the same...

So did I.. ended up with 4 of them... :lol:

I ordered 3 batteries from the "China" seller on Ebay (one by itself a long time ago) and 2 more just recently. I haven't even charged the 2 latest yet, but I read positive thing about them via the Audio T-board so I'm taking the chance. I think $50 is ABSURD for one of those puppies.

Should any of these from China 'explode' or go bad, etc... I'll let you know, in the meantime I'll enjoy the savings.

The thing is that, as opposed to pirated GBA games, a fake battery might damage the unit. Don't ask me how, I'm no expert, but I just think it could do smth...you know...inside :)

Actually, a fake cart could just a easily damage a portable game machine. Too much resistance, too little, a short circuit in the cart, etc.

Should any of these from China 'explode' or go bad, etc... I'll let you know, in the meantime I'll enjoy the savings.

;) Hope you're using it in your DH10P that has the 2-year warranty. Thanks for being one of the brave, guinea-pig souls.

Hi all.

Just got my RH1 and asked about a spare battery.

It seems that Sony UK stock these as a spare part, not an accessory.

Spare parts are more expensive.

I've been told the price is £58 + tax = £68. Thats over $120.

Any suggestions for suppliers or alternative ways of powering the RH1?

I bought two LIP-4WM batteries on eBay at a significantly lower price. I do not know if they are fakes or just OEM batteries, but they work as well as the batteries that came with my HiMD gear.

Hello AllanH and everyone,

Line Make & Description Model

SONY Qty 1 PRICE 28.36 TOTAL 28.36

BATTERY (LIP-4WM)

The above is what I was quoted from Sony spare parts office in Melton Mowbray. Not got my RH1 yet, but will probably get my battery from the official place. I wouldn't dare touch Ebay with a barge pole, had enough misery through crap stuff!! Contact details:-

Accessories (as originally supplied with the product) can be purchased from:

SEME Limited

Hudson Road

Melton Mowbray

Leicestershire

LE13 1BS

Telephone: 0870 240 6354

Fax: 01664 563 976

email: sony@seme.co.uk

Cheers.

I wouldn't dare touch Ebay with a barge pole, had enough misery through crap stuff!! Contact details:-

Well I even buy my barge poles on Ebay... no problems. As long as you watch feedback history of sellers and use a lot of common sense, it's a great alternative.

But still thanks for your info, that still is a great price!

Mine didn't come with the plastic cases.

Mine did not come in the cases either, but this was the seller's response when I asked "liebflea" about that before bidding:

"Only a battery in a clearn plastic bag.but we guarantee they are original new products,not used.please check the picture,what you see is what you get."

Whatever... I use them, they seem fine to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine did not come in the cases either, but this was the seller's response when I asked "liebflea" about that before bidding:

"Only a battery in a clearn plastic bag.but we guarantee they are original new products,not used.please check the picture,what you see is what you get."

Whatever... I use them, they seem fine to me.

Just bought two from the same seller...$36 for both, delivered.

Here is a site that offers them for $12.00.

http://store.whsle.biz/product_info.php?products_id=38

I just did a search in froogle, and that came up.

Thanks for posting. However, it's all in the shipping. These people are the same as the Chinese eBay seller "bargaining4all".

Just did a test shopping cart at their site...

two LIP-4WM @$12 = $24.00

+ Shipping $15.00

Total = $39.00

I'm better off by $3 with the eBay purchase I just made.

About how long did it take for you to receive your batteries from China?

I'm in the UK and don't normally think of buying from "too cheap to believe" ebay sources, but the price differential between Sony Spares in the UK (£28 + postage) and the ~£10 (inc postage) from China seemed to be worth looking at. I ordered mine in two lots. 1st lot of 2 cells arrived within 7 days, and the 2nd. lot of 1 cell within 8 days. The cells carry a recyclable label (not prsent on the original in my RH1 unit), and came without the plastic case. Otherwise they charged OK, and seem to have plenty of life in them. (I'll report here if they turn out to be junk.)

So I've ended up with 3 spare cells for around what I would have spent on 1 from Sony UK, plus a few Chinese postage stamps.

Received a note from eBay seller the day following my purchase, that the batteries had been shipped. He also provided a tracking number and a tracking web site...but the web site is in Chinese and is useless to me.

I ordered from "liebflea" on Ebay also the other day. Got the same chinese web site and a tracking number. Couldn't make heads or tails of it. I'm anxious to see how long it takes to get to Texas.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are two LIP-4WM batteries, the bottom one is the original, the top one is one of the new ones from China. As far as fit and finish, they appear identical to the naked eye. First the fronts...

[attachmentid=1909]

Curious...notice the recycling notice on the original (for the U.S. market)...are the batteries that are sold outside the U.S. like the ones at the top with the generic "recycle" logo?

Here are the backs...

[attachmentid=1910]

The only discernable difference to my eyes here are the three letters at the bottom right...the original is "FDA" and the new ones say "DHA". Any idea what those designations mean?

OH...one more difference. Along one edge is yet another series of numbers, the original being on the bottom and the replacement from China being the top one. They are different only in the last two digits (11 vs. 21).

[attachmentid=1911]

Interesting...looks to me like they are the Sony part number. Go to the Sony Direct Accessories page, enter the number 175642521 as a Part Number and up pops a lithium battery ($49.95)...no photo, though. I had thought I'd seen that battery there for something like $80 in the past...?

http://servicesales.sel.sony.com/web/productSearch.do

Entering the same number with "11" on the end instead of "21" yields no results. Might that be the part number for Sony Japan?

post-4093-1153872094_thumb.jpg

post-4093-1153872321_thumb.jpg

post-4093-1153872673_thumb.jpg

My Japanese NH1, EH1, and NH3D all have the battery in your top pic and came with hard plastic carry cases. Part numbers are the same as yours (the "11"). I don't think or know if this makes a big difference, but mine say "DEA" and not "DHA."

There's a 3rd LIP4WM that I've seen and it only says "Li-ion" in the center with no logo or anything. It was bought from an eBay seller in China and I don't think it's been verified yet if it's fake or not because no one's seen it come stock with any Hi-MD unit. The users say that it works just like the other 2 though.

OH...one more difference. Along one edge is yet another series of numbers, the original being on the bottom and the replacement from China being the top one. They are different only in the last two digits (11 vs. 21).

The battery from my RH1 has the same number - last two digits are 31.

Bought it from www.amazon.de (germany, europe), so perhaps it´s a country code?

Edited by Cyberman

Hi all,

I checked leibflea's store and the Li - Ion batteries listed there have only the MZ-NH1, MZ-NH3D, MZ-EH1, and MZ-DH10P listed as compatible models. Does this same battery also work with the RH1?

Also, the seller seems to have multiple listings for Aus, and US, and the UK. If I belong to none of the above countries, which one do I choose? :blink:

Does this same battery also work with the RH1?

Yes. You can check RH1 reviews/pictorials for more confirmation of the battery that it uses. ;)

Also, the seller seems to have multiple listings for Aus, and US, and the UK. If I belong to none of the above countries, which one do I choose? :blink:

You would be better off contacting the seller directly. He/she can best answer that question.

Good luck.