Backup of SS to another machine?

Rate this topic

Sparky191

Well I tried it and I didn't like it. It takes ages and it deletes everything from SonicStage before you do it. In my opinion an easier way is to simply copy all the OMA files and their respective folders from the SonicStage library. Mine are all in R:\My SonicStage. I copied these to an external 180GB USB2 drive. Then used Karens Replicator to synch it with the My SonicStage on another machine. The steps were as follows. Using SS 4.0 (US on one PC, European on the another other PC and Laptop).

1) Synch SonicStage dir on Source PC with copy on USB (180GB) drive using Karens Replicator.

2) Synch using Karens Replicator from USB drive to SonicStage dir on destination PC.

3) Del SonicStage library (but don't delete tracks from HD when prompted).

4) Drag and Drop SonicStage dir on destination PC into SonicStage window.

5) Select All Tracks and mark them all as Compilation

6) Switch back to Album mode.

Since Karens Replicator only copies the differences its a lot quicker than copying or backing the whole library.

Before I started I moved all my WAV's I move my WAVs a different folder for editing with another application outside of SS which is why I don't leave them in SS. I also deleted the optimised files from SonicStage to make it quicker. Just left the 256kps HiSP tracks I use with my HiMD. If you use WAVs's in SS and have a lot of Optimised files I'm not sure how that would work with this process. Maybe its the same, I haven't thought about it. I read about people having problems with losing their SS libraries when they get corrupt. Seems simple enough just to keep a backup of it using this method. I use a couple of USB drives to back up my MP3 library and other data. Now I'll drop my SS library on them aswell. It also means I can clear my SS library when I'm just working with recordings and then just add the playback tracks when I need them.

I know a few others have posted similar techniques, and this is a copy of those sort of. I'm mp3 playerless at the moments (one broke the other I sold) so I'm forced to use my HiMD as a player for a while, until I decide which mp3 HD player to get next.

I've tried across 3 different machines. No problem playing oma ripped on once machine on a different one. Mind you I do turn off all DRM when I'm prompted for it when installing SS. So theres no DRM on any of these tracks.

I'm not sure I follow you on this... What do you mean "when installing SS" in regards to turning off DRM? I don't think I noticed that as an option when I installed SonicStage 4... I guess this option doesn't affect tracks uploaded from Hi-MD?

• 6 months later...