Defragmenting Hi-MDs

Rate this topic

Karmageddon

Well a freshly formatted disc, after filling it up with songs from sonicstage looks like this:

[attachmentid=1793]

So I doubt there would be any increase in performance considering...

Honestly I think defragmenting would result in unnecessary wear and tear on your unit.

post-1817-1150974236_thumb.jpg

Edited by raintheory

This has been discussed before. Sonicstage stores all audio data as one big file which therefore cannot be defragmented. I wouldn't recommend trying as you could damage the data. If you're using it for computer files (drag and drop) then you can de-frag as normal, if you have the need.

If you're writing and deleting from the disc a lot then you should be able to defrag it (and there is no real reason to believe this is necessary) by formating the disc and then re-writing everything to it.

so you are saying windows defragmenter is wrong? i find that hard to believe. why does it do that? when i hook up my sony digital camera and run the defrag program it does not do that...i know there is no reason to defrag a memory card. that would be stupid but its just an example...

HiMD discs don't store data in the way that Windows stores data. It makes one huge file and then stores your music within that file. It's kind of a "disc within a disc", although that's a poor analogy.

Basically, yes, Windows is wrong because it makes assumptions as to what the file is, which are incorrect in the case of HiMD audio.

HiMD discs don't store data in the way that Windows stores data. It makes one huge file and then stores your music within that file. It's kind of a "disc within a disc", although that's a poor analogy.

Basically, yes, Windows is wrong because it makes assumptions as to what the file is, which are incorrect in the case of HiMD audio.

Thats not really right. Let me explain. The HiMD format uses FAT32 (or FAT16, can't remember!). This is why windows can read it and Sony have allowed you to normal files on there.

With regards to what you were saying, thats on the audio. They're still raw files on the FAT partition. Like a hard-drive, you could have the same thing with music within one big file. In theory, that should make it less fragmented as there are less files and data won't be stored randomly across the disk so much.

I don't know how the disc is stored on the HiMD disc, but windows "assumes" its totally defragmented, when it probably isnt.

I believe that you will find defragmenting a HiMD disk takes so long, you will want to stop it before it finishes. It would be quicker to copy the "data" off the disk, format, and then copy the "data" back on. I put "data" in quotes because you cannot copy audio files off the disk and back, their is some hidden file that does not copy. This is to prevent diskcopy from making copies of audio disks.

Since MD works at USB 1.1 speed, I doubt you will notice any performance gain. For the audio stored on the disk, their would be no gain at all.

OK, I don't understand why poeple are so fascinated in defragging MD/HiMD. It's been discussed a couple times, long time ago. It's not woth the wear and tear of your unit. It's like defragging a floppy disk. Can you do it? yes. Is it worth the time/wear and tear? No, unless you just don't like your unit anymore.

Edited by pata2001

OK, I don't understand why poeple are so fascinated in defragging MD/HiMD. It's been discussed a couple times, long time ago. It's not woth the wear and tear of your unit. It's like defragging a floppy disk. Can you do it? yes. Is it worth the time/wear and tear? No, unless you just don't like your unit anymore.

That's basically what I've been trying to say too :lol: