ATRAC Codec Plugin for Sony Media Software

Christopher

No, this is just for Sony Media applications, such as: Vegas, Vegas+DVD, DVD Architect, Vegas Movie Studio, Vegas Movie Studio+DVD, DVD Architect Studio, ACID, Music Studio, ACIDized, Super Duper Music Looper, Jam Trax, Sony Sound Series, Chopper, Groove Mapping, Groove Cloning, CD Architect, Sound Forge, Audio Studio, Acoustic Mirror, Noise Reduction, Wave 64, Wave Hammer, XFX and more.

ATRACLife & Sony will be releasing an ATRAC SDK to interested developers soon.

No, this is just for Sony Media applications, such as: Vegas, Vegas+DVD, DVD Architect, Vegas Movie Studio, Vegas Movie Studio+DVD, DVD Architect Studio, ACID, Music Studio, ACIDized, Super Duper Music Looper, Jam Trax, Sony Sound Series, Chopper, Groove Mapping, Groove Cloning, CD Architect, Sound Forge, Audio Studio, Acoustic Mirror, Noise Reduction, Wave 64, Wave Hammer, XFX and more.

Nice to see Sony isn't bailing out on the format. This should go nicely with the ability to upload atrac3+ audio files from a MiniDisc recorder, etc.

I am not really impressed. If Sony opens the format so that it can be used by windows media player, winamp, iTunes, etc. then they will have really taken a step forward. At the moment all they have done is allowed use of their format with...dum dum dum...their software.

Come on Sony, take the final step and truly OPEN up ATRAC to everyone.

I am not really impressed. If Sony opens the format so that it can be used by windows media player, winamp, iTunes, etc. then they will have really taken a step forward. At the moment all they have done is allowed use of their format with...dum dum dum...their software.

Come on Sony, take the final step and truly OPEN up ATRAC to everyone.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but I take this to mean that anyone who wants to use the codec may be able to with the developer SDK (that means it'd be up to other people to make atrac play with iTunes, Winamp, WMP, etc-- but it could be done). Correct me if I'm wrong, Chris.

Notice that their using a new .aa3 file format— Atrac without DRM. Hell, even if this meant there were Sony players on the way that could use drag + drop with .aa3 files I’d be really happy.

the cool thing is to update SonicStage CP with that & we will FINALLY able to download true SP to MD either by SS or SimpleBurner

If that is the case wouldn't you then be able to upload true SP from legacy discs with the RH1? Instead of having to convert it to WAV or Hi-SP?

If that is the case wouldn't you then be able to upload true SP from legacy discs with the RH1? Instead of having to convert it to WAV or Hi-SP?

Who knows?

I've been waiting for this to happen. I not along said this in a post and the SDK (which I hoped for) is now coming out :D.

Just think of the possibilities. Maybe give AACplus a run for its money in terms of streaming ;). I wouldn't be surprised if people are reverse engineering the plug-in right now ;).

Well.....I've given this plugin a hell of a test through.

Using it through Sound Forge 8.0, you only get the normal list....48kbps,64kbps,96kbps,128kbps!,132kbps ATRAC3,160kbps!,256kbps,320kbps,352kbps and the list of Atrac Lossless list you get in CP 4.0.

Now, there was a couple of things I wanted to mess around with. Playing it in winamp and seeing if it would import into SS 4.0.

First off, I downloaded the winamp atrac plugin from this site and at first, it wouldn't read the *.aa3 files. But I thought the original format is *.oma or *.omg. I renamed it *.oma and it worked! Very nicely too. Very impressed that the ATRAC Lossless could knock off 10MB off the original WAV file losslessly!

Now the test. I encoded a 128kbps ATRAC3plus file. I kept it as a *.aa3 file and dragged it into SS 4.0.....it worked! Recognised with no problems. But there is some badish news....

None of these unprotected files will upload onto my RH1 with SS4.0. It just says its prohibited to do so, regardless if I rename the file to *.oma or not. shame really. Will just have to let SS4.0 do all the work.

Edited by Tunster

None of these unprotected files will upload onto my RH1 with SS4.0. It just says its prohibited to do so, regardless if I rename the file to *.oma or not. shame really. Will just have to let SS4.0 do all the work.

Typical SONY move there... <_<

Can anyone else test this out and replicate the problem?

Did you try renaming it to .omg? dex otaku has been able to load these files onto his NH700, you must be doing something wrong..

Nope. If I rename the non-DRMed files as *.omg, SS4.0 won't recognise it. From what I see, unprotected files (without DRM) won't transfer. Not for me anyway.

Nope. If I rename the non-DRMed files as *.omg, SS4.0 won't recognise it. From what I see, unprotected files (without DRM) won't transfer. Not for me anyway.

Same here with my RH1 and SS4.0. I will try the NH1 later...

NH1 gives the same result. Tried also converting the file before the transfer, but that also doesn't work.

Edited by lacobo

I'm using SF 7.0, installed it in the proper directory, the ATRAC file type shows up in the open file drop down menu, but when I go to open up a file, it says it is unsupported. Are there DRM restrictions? THe files I am trying to open were recorded with a mic onto a NH1 and transferred in to SS. Is there something I'm missing? Thanks for any help, this would save a time consuming step of converting to WAV, editing in SF, saving, then converting to mp3 to share with the rest of the world.

I'm using SF 7.0, installed it in the proper directory, the ATRAC file type shows up in the open file drop down menu, but when I go to open up a file, it says it is unsupported. Are there DRM restrictions? THe files I am trying to open were recorded with a mic onto a NH1 and transferred in to SS. Is there something I'm missing? Thanks for any help, this would save a time consuming step of converting to WAV, editing in SF, saving, then converting to mp3 to share with the rest of the world.

Release the files from DRM using the instructions here: http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=16088

Then try importing the un-DRMed files.

same here.....but i'm using NH1

looking forward to the SDK release! :)

For what it's worth, I was able to import .aa3 files as they were. The first time I imported, SS would not let me burn the files to an ATRAC CD. I tried a second (or third) time, and it worked fine. I have no idea why it didn't work the first time. I dont have a MD player to try that out.

-J. P.

Hello everybody, I'm completely new here and first would like to say thanks for all the useful information I found here; really helpful!

(OT: Being a musician, I got back to MD after some years of absence and just got an RH-901 in the next shop, hoping I could upload some self-recorded SP tracks, done by a friend on an older mashine, well, nope!, got frustrated and found this forum and the information, that Sony just released the RH1 with all it's nice abilities and luckily got one quite quickly, so here I am, not sure yet if I want to keep the 901 as a backup or sell it off. (I like the scroll wheel and somewhat larger display, but mp3 indeed sounds somewhat muffled and in my euro-version the customer-equ. function is disabled, not sure if I want to hack it) /OT)

As I obviously want to edit music and read here about the ATRAC codec plugin, I wanted to give this a try.

So I downloaded & installed SoundForge 8.0 regularily.

Downloaded the ATRAC-plugin and installed as instructed in the readme-file that comes with it.

Next I uploaded the files once more in SS 4.0 and removed DRM as described.

If I now want to import a file into SF it shows the ATRAC files properly in the selection menu, but when I select one and press import I get the following error message:

"The file format plugin for the specified format was not properly initialized"

Am I missing anything?

Thanks for any hints.

• 1 month later...

WOW! I Like this.. I wa sable to open a ogg file, save it as the new atrac codec, then renamed it to the .omg format and drag and dropped stright into my psp's music folder and it shows up and plays! Great! No need for sonicstage now to get it onto my pro duo stick! Man this is great!!

a tiny step forward to me for sony.. maybe they will release it soon for universal usage? lol.. I wish

** you dont even have to rename it.. just copy and paste the file into the psp musci folder.. you may need to edit the Tag info though for song and artist info.. as some come out ok others.. messed up .

When I tried to transfer to my rh10 it would not let me for the first 3 times.. then finally did.. weird.

Edited by AcTs