What have you just done to your computer!

Rate this topic

mercury_in_flames

- Installed Ubuntu Linux on one of my old boxes.

- Set up OSXVNC on our G5 so we can work on it from wherever.

- Experimented with something I had seen done online somewhere (see image below).

[attachmentid=1890]

(my finace always complains because I never have a background image set up on the laptop, so I mainly did this as a joke... )

post-1817-1153496147_thumb.jpg

Edited by raintheory

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Experimented with something I had seen done online somewhere (see image below).

[attachmentid=1890]

(my finace always complains because I never have a background image set up on the laptop, so I mainly did this as a joke... )

Very nice... now you can alternate scenes from around the house. ;)

- Installed Ubuntu Linux on one of my old boxes.

- Set up OSXVNC on our G5 so we can work on it from wherever.

[attachmentid=1890]

That screen is looking transparent! :lol:

That joke probably took too long to set up, didn't it! Well done.

I like the idea...

*sitting here watching the dust balls sway;; and all my nearly 27 MD units "Idol" *and,

just couldn't take it any more; so i went out and bought the Kiss DVD "Rock The Nation - Live" which i didn't have yet.. bet you rasins that i make an audio CD within two days and put in my Hi-MD 900's.

i didn't buy it to listen as much as to have it; like a chochoholic NEEDS choco; i need "Stuffo".

damn!! :lol: Just installed my firewire 800 card to use with my lacie 160gb, and it can now transfer 700mb to my local disc in,.,...FIFTEEN SECONDS :lol:

that's pretty sweet, ill see if i can beat it when i get that ethernet lan hard drive.

I have just had diagnostics run on it at a local pc shop to be certain of what the problem is.

What am I doing next to my PC? CANABALIZING IT, YAY! Ram, Vid Card and CPU gonna have to go up on ebay. The mobo went south— so maybe I’ll sell the XPC SN95G5 as-is on ebay for anyone that wants parts or to try to fix it. Sometimes I hate computers.

So which have you decided on?

I have pretty much ruled out PCLinuxOS.

Fedora is next to test but there is no official live CD for it. Soooo, I would have to install it. That means I have a lot of backing up to do. :( I guess it does not matter since I am determined to leave the M$ world behind, on my personal rig anyway. ;)

I am actually doing some house cleaning and getting rid of files I do not need but it is taking longer than I thought it would. Once that is done, Fedora gets installed. If I dont like it, Ubuntu it is. :D

i think you will. firewire 800 isnt like scsi or w.e.

i dunno, it'll be a 100/100 conection but the frame's 'll get slowed down througth the router. the bottle neck in your system'll be the processor & yours is hot. i think the router will be the slowest [relative] section

not sure if i mentioned it in this thread, but speaking of cpu's., my x2 4600 arrived and i installed that :lol:

Dare I say, I had to format today - again! :(

I don't really know the reasons, But I do know that I've been getting alot of blocked hacing attempts to my computer today...

good chance your ports are a bit too obvious to others on the net. Maybe running some dodgy sharing app? Get a better internet security package? what do u have atm? Im using NOD32 atm, but kapersky is supposed to be very good too.

good chance your ports are a bit too obvious to others on the net. Maybe running some dodgy sharing app? Get a better internet security package? what do u have atm? Im using NOD32 atm, but kapersky is supposed to be very good too.

ATM, whats that? anti-malware? :huh:

As for shareing I wasent even online on messenger (No p2p programs installed)! :wacko:

But I am on a 3 way network and who knows what there on. :lol:

I use ZoneAlarm Free (Firewall) AVG Free & Spybot,

Really I dunno - as long as ZoneAlarm Keeps Blocking them I'm happy <_<

ATM, whats that? anti-malware? :huh:

As for shareing I wasent even online on messenger (No p2p programs installed)! :wacko:

But I am on a 3 way network and who knows what there on. :lol:

I use ZoneAlarm Free (Firewall) AVG Free & Spybot,

Really I dunno - as long as ZoneAlarm Keeps Blocking them I'm happy <_<

yeah, you could always find out how to disable notification of an attempt to hack your computer. btw, (by the way), atm means at the moment :ok:

So, why not just use the Live CD?

Well that's what I've been doing, but I'd like to add some additional things to the installation...

I have it installed on one of our boxes upstairs, but I'd love to be able to just carry around a small external drive with my tailored install on it.

The Live CD is great though, it's the only Live CD I've found that detects all of the hardware on my laptop with no problems.

Edited by raintheory

Here's my plea for help.

I've had a 120 GB maxtor for a while, was having the thought of dual boot etc with it, but every time I try to power up with it connected, puter just freezes, if I go into bios, it recognizes the drive, but when I save and reset, no boot. Doesn't seem to mater whether I set the drive as master or slave, same problem. Only thing I can think of is dud drive, does seem to run fairly warm.

thanks much,

Bob

Here's my plea for help.

I've had a 120 GB maxtor for a while, was having the thought of dual boot etc with it, but every time I try to power up with it connected, puter just freezes, if I go into bios, it recognizes the drive, but when I save and reset, no boot. Doesn't seem to mater whether I set the drive as master or slave, same problem. Only thing I can think of is dud drive, does seem to run fairly warm.

thanks much,

Bob

Have you checked to see if the jumpers on the drive are set to make it a slave drive? You might have to change the jumper setting on your existing drive to make it the master. This all assumes that you're connecting both drives on the same IDE channel.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a defective hard drive, gets very hot, and won't accept an OS installation, have tried to install Linux and XP onto it, both stop saying that no drive volume exists. I have another drive coming next week, and will see what happens with it.

Thanks for the thoughts and help

Bob

Looks like a defective hard drive, gets very hot, and won't accept an OS installation, have tried to install Linux and XP onto it, both stop saying that no drive volume exists. I have another drive coming next week, and will see what happens with it.

Thanks for the thoughts and help

Bob

Try putting the drive in the freezer for about 30min... Sounds crazy, but this has actually worked for me before.

Try putting the drive in the freezer for about 30min... Sounds crazy, but this has actually worked for me before.

if you do make sure it's in something to keep moisture out. not a bad idea at all though.

I just installed a small little app on my XP laptop called miniMIZE. It basically catches your minimized programs and displays them on the desktop as little icons. Your task bar stays clean. You can easily tell which program you need just by looking at the icons. I decided I did not need a task bar anymore so I disabled it with Object dock. Here is a screen shot of what it looks like:

IPB Image

Was actually one of the first things I tried, unfortunately no luck, may try it again, who knows.

Thanks,

Bob

im liking the 'click to a move a window and it goes invisible' feature that you get in my nvidia settings. can also set your task bar to be as transparent as u like.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/gre...otter/sceen.jpg

That pics makeing me go dizzy! :lol: well its givin' me a headach! lol

Edited by danielbb90