The Hated Mp3´s!

Rate this topic

mariocel

You can't record in the MP3 format on a HiMD. If you mean you have transferred them? The RH1 is meant to have better playback.

Yeah I mean transferred mp3s. The crippling process is in the playback not the transfer then .... so my RH10 transferred mp3 mds will sound better in a RH1?

Would the laser keep up though?

Here's a hint: LASER = Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation :rolleyes: Ever heard a 52x CDROM drive spool up?

Back on topic - In my listening tests, the RH1 does justice to the mp3 format, sounding better than any other mp3 player I have, including the 30GB black iPod. The reverse is most certainly not true IMHO.

cheers

Here's a hint: LASER = Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation :rolleyes: Ever heard a 52x CDROM drive spool up?

Back on topic - In my listening tests, the RH1 does justice to the mp3 format, sounding better than any other mp3 player I have, including the 30GB black iPod. The reverse is most certainly not true IMHO.

cheers

Heres a another hint...You don't run a 52x CDROM from a AA battery. :rolleyes:

They would sound just fine. When you transfer a mp3 to the MD disc. SS is just writing the ditial data to the disc. It is not transcoding or remaking it into a sony mp3 format etc.

The loss in quality is due to the software controlling the RH10. It seems that sonys marketing approach was to include the playback for the sake of appealing to that massive market of mp3 users but at the same time. They wanted to promote their own atrac format as being the superior one in terms of quality. So they tried to make it appear that ATRAC was really that much better when compared to the mp3 counterpart. People caught on to sony and called shinanigans. (sorry I love southpark)...hehe

Sony realized that this could/would backfire and label the md format a dud to the millions of ipod sporting fanboys around the world. This would give apple a bigger and better oppurtunity to promote upon it's shortcoming and move on in their reign for blind surpremecy.

Sony stepped up it's efforts to fix that and other problems and push out the RH1 as Sony's "Sorry we messed up, here take this as our appology." flagship model.

The problem is that Sony is trying to fight its way into market that it had shunned for far too long.

They had the advantage of being the first kids on the block with the ability to store huge ammounts of data onto small removable media but they tried too hard to control the way people used it.

Sorry sony, you had a 8 year head start and you still showed up 8 years too late.

MD is always gonna be a sweet recording medium. Its just too late to be a part of the 100 million+ playback culture.

_

I suspect thats FW vs USB1.1 But regardless what has latency to do with HiMD/MD though?

I wish my HiMD had faster transfer aswell. Its one of the bit drawbacks of the player. I'd like to know the specifics of how the RH1 achieves faster speeds.

In fact is FW vs Usb 2.0!! And yeah, it has absolutely nothing to do with Hi-

Md but since we were talking of speed differences through connections. Richyhu put this address where you can see one interesant article about how the RH1 works, maybe you already saw it :

http://www.mdcenter.nl/artikelen/mzrh1/index_en.php

In fact is FW vs Usb 2.0!! And yeah, it has absolutely nothing to do with Hi-

Md but since we were talking of speed differences through connections. Richyhu put this address where you can see one interesant article about how the RH1 works, maybe you already saw it :

http://www.mdcenter.nl/artikelen/mzrh1/index_en.php

He explains its faster, but as far as I see, there no real reasoning of how thats achieved. Only Sony would know, and they've always been terrible at talking to the user base.

He explains its faster, but as far as I see, there no real reasoning of how thats achieved. Only Sony would know, and they've always been terrible at talking to the user base.

Thats untrue. Surely, somewhere on here I've seen it explained why the sppeeds are quicker. To be honest, it doesn't need Sony to explain. The disc probably spins quicker (faster RPM) and I think its something to do with frame block sizes or something.

Bah, if they really are sorry then they should offer a firmware upgrade for the RH10

I just have a gut feeling RH1 will have some kind of firmware upgrade in the future. For one, its the first time we've seen the Firmware section added to the menu (has it appeared elsewhere? someone tell me i'm wrong). Especially the change from the prototype review on MDcentre.nl and the public release. Also, the SDK gives me impressions Sony want to give third party coders a chance to have a stab at their hardware/software. :ok:

Thats untrue. Surely, somewhere on here I've seen it explained why the sppeeds are quicker. To be honest, it doesn't need Sony to explain. The disc probably spins quicker (faster RPM) and I think its something to do with frame block sizes or something....

I'm just curious about it tis all.

I just have a gut feeling RH1 will have some kind of firmware upgrade in the future. For one, its the first time we've seen the Firmware section added to the menu (has it appeared elsewhere? someone tell me i'm wrong). Especially the change from the prototype review on MDcentre.nl and the public release. Also, the SDK gives me impressions Sony want to give third party coders a chance to have a stab at their hardware/software.

Maybe some clever souls out there can hack the unit using the SDK and create new firmwares, features, bugfixes and cosmetic changes to the unit. Maybe sony finally decided to let go of it's golden child and set it loose in the wild knowing that the faithful MD followers would take it in and nurture it and help it grow into something bigger then sony ever imagined.

I'm sure sony knows that those of us who love the format would do it justice. They just need to learn to let go and watch it flourush.