rh1 questions

Rate this topic

rhizome

hello friends,

hearing about the rh1, i am very happy now for this chance to upload all my old minidisc recordings digitally. i have so many old-format MD recordings of my own musical compositions that it would just be impossible to do realtime analog recording of them all into my computer. now that i have sifted through the many threads about this new device, i am still unclear about some things.

firstly, i am a mac user -- can someone specifically describe the rh1's uploading compatability with mac computers? is there software available, or has it yet to be released? can i upload legacy formats to mac, or only hi-md?

secondly, i am concerned about DRM and copy-protection restrictions making it impossible for me to do much with the files i upload. can someone describe the exact restrictions that are put on the audio that ends up on my computer after uploading? i would like to freely be able to burn it, copy it, etc. at first, looking through the postings here, it seemed this wouldn't be possible -- but then i noticed mentionings of sony removing the DRM restrictions... so i'm rather confused about the matter.

thirdly, i would like to get a sense of the stability of the device and its software for uploading. am i at great risk of having my tracks erased randomly? the comments of anyone who has experience with this, would be quite appreciated.

if you can help answer any of these questions for me, i would be delighted. i am ready to buy one of these as soon as i am sure it will be practical for me to use.

thank you!

firstly, i am a mac user -- can someone specifically describe the rh1's uploading compatability with mac computers? is there software available, or has it yet to be released? can i upload legacy formats to mac, or only hi-md?

Mac software will be released sometime soon (Summer 2006, apparently). You can upload legacy recordings to a Mac as a result of the new software - No problem.

secondly, i am concerned about DRM and copy-protection restrictions making it impossible for me to do much with the files i upload. can someone describe the exact restrictions that are put on the audio that ends up on my computer after uploading? i would like to freely be able to burn it, copy it, etc. at first, looking through the postings here, it seemed this wouldn't be possible -- but then i noticed mentionings of sony removing the DRM restrictions... so i'm rather confused about the matter.

DRM is of no concern for the RH1. Uploads in PCM (.wav) will be possible, therefor you can do what you will with the resulting file/audio. You can then do what you like with the uploaded file; Burn, Encode, Store, etc...

DRM is only concerned when dealing with OMG files and their authorization.

thirdly, i would like to get a sense of the stability of the device and its software for uploading. am i at great risk of having my tracks erased randomly? the comments of anyone who has experience with this, would be quite appreciated.

I can't really comment on this as I haven't received my MD yet, but from all the reviews it appears this is the best Hi-MD 3rd Generation device yet.

thank you for your excellent reply.

now for you, or anyone else who might know, i have a new question.

reading some specifications for the rh1 (on the minidisco site), i see this:

"Note: Only LinearPCM, Hi-SP and Hi-LP self-recordings made with the MZ-RH1 can be imported using the Hi-MD Music Transfer software."

this doesn't make any sense to me, for what would be the purpose of being able to upload old formats if you could only do so if they were recorded on this BRAND NEW device...? is this a mistake?

(all my recordings so far have been made on an mzr900)

thanks!

Im pretty sure that's a mistake. The only tracks you cannot transfer to the computer through USB are ones downloaded through a netmd device, all recordings done in real time should be unrestricted.

It's not a mistake, per se. The *CURRENT* Hi-MD uploading software for Mac does have those limitations. I don't know if what was said above about the forthcoming Mac software is accurate or not, but let's hope it is. That would just mean that for now, you won't be able to upload legacy recordings to a Mac, but hopefully with new software we will be able to. But honestly-- I don't know a lot about this forthcoming software other than that it should facilitate transferring music to Hi-MD for playback (rather than just giving it upload functionality).

I have never read anything 'except for the above) that the upcoming software will allow mac-uploading of legacy recordings... as far as I understood it (the info here and from the Sony sites) the software still to come will only be for mac-> RH1 transfers (which isn't possible with the current 'Hi-MD music transfer')

so I don't think uploading legacy recordings with mac will ever be possible (even HiMD recordings made with my NH900 will not upload I think... and this should be easier to implement than legacy uploading)

hello friends,

hearing about the rh1, i am very happy now for this chance to upload all my old minidisc recordings digitally. i have so many old-format MD recordings of my own musical compositions that it would just be impossible to do realtime analog recording of them all into my computer. now that i have sifted through the many threads about this new device, i am still unclear about some things.

if you can help answer any of these questions for me, i would be delighted. i am ready to buy one of these as soon as i am sure it will be practical for me to use.

thank you!

Those are interesting questions. Unfortunately, you didn't ask whether or not the RH1 has better bass output than the RH10. I think that's an important feature being overlooked. I guess I'll ask it myself: Does the RH1 have Megabass or better bass than the RH10? Thanks.

Those are interesting questions. Unfortunately, you didn't ask whether or not the RH1 has better bass output than the RH10. I think that's an important feature being overlooked. I guess I'll ask it myself: Does the RH1 have Megabass or better bass than the RH10? Thanks.

Yeh, I'm guessing an improved High Def Amp will sort that out -- it's a 3rd generation Hi-MD btw ;)

chris... I'm sorry, but you HAVE asked that question before... lots of times... it has been answered already as well lots of times: the RH1's sound is better overall including adequate, realistic and will-please-anyone-except-pureblood-bass-heads bass... but no, it does not pack 'Megabass' (which seems to be the only thing you are after)

this question has had its run...it's getting slightly annoying now

please don't clutter threads with real questions with it anymore...thanks :D

that's true, but as greenmachine has proven (and has been said and shown to ChrisG many times before), lowering all bands one or two notches in the eq does 'raise' (relatively speaking, by lowering all other frequencies) the deep bass while still reaching more than adequate volume levels for relatively efficient headphones (like the Panasonic RP-JE50, Senn PX100, MX350, MX450,...).

Besides, do not get me wrong, I've never said the RH1 would reach megabass-levels of bass (read my previous post again and you'll see) but it does reach adequate (and with greenmachine's trick even pretty deep) levels that should be enough to please almost everyone (except the most hard to please bass-heads)

but... my main point is that all of this has been said many times before and almost always in reply of Mr. G's everlasting quest for Megabass which seems to pop up no matter whether it fits the thread or not... at this point there really is only one answer left: "no HiMD comes with Megabass. You are right! now get over it, please"

Why does everyone expect there's going to be a feature on the RH1 for them? Sony can't please everyone.

To add to the questions asked, SP 4.0 + the RH1 seem to be extremely reliable! Uploaded a 3 1/2 hour recording in about 10mins in Hi-SP quality. Then did the WAV conversion using SS 4.0. Top notch, and now I can do whatever I want with it.

IN terms of the Mac usage, I can only assume it will a million times more reliable than a Windows PC :).

there has been some good info posted here, but some poster's statements totally contradict those of other posters.... does anybody definitively know the mac-compatibility situation for the RH1, as well as the backwards compabtibility situation with it, for either mac OR pc? i am ready to buy one as soon as i can ascertain this. your first-hand confirmations would be quite appreciated! :-)

there has been some good info posted here, but some poster's statements totally contradict those of other posters.... does anybody definitively know the mac-compatibility situation for the RH1, as well as the backwards compabtibility situation with it, for either mac OR pc? i am ready to buy one as soon as i can ascertain this. your first-hand confirmations would be quite appreciated! :-)

I am unsure that anyone can comment on the full functionality regarding Mac-compatibility since the software for it isn't available yet.

Regarding the problem with not being able to upload "NetMD" recordings with the MZ-RH1, just what is the key difference with NetMD recordings versus say, "digital" recordings?

Obviously the first has been downloaded via the USB connection from the PC, whereas the second via the optical connection from some source or other, but apart from this, just what is the issue?

Edited by Mr_Bass_Man

Is the RH1 as good or better than te NH1....I love the sound of the NH1 and does the remote from the NH1 work with the RH1

The remote from the NH1 definitely works with the RH1.

As for the sound quality, I firmly believe the RH1 is the best sounding portable MD unit of any kind out there today.

And the black color just adds to it sharp look to go with its smooth performance and stellar sound.

But your mileage may vary. Only you can truly say if you feel the RH1 is better or not. So much of what makes electronics better to one or another is in the subjective realm.

The remote from the NH1 definitely works with the RH1.

As for the sound quality, I firmly believe the RH1 is the best sounding portable MD unit of any kind out there today.

And the black color just adds to it sharp look to go with its smooth performance and stellar sound.

But your mileage may vary. Only you can truly say if you feel the RH1 is better or not. So much of what makes electronics better to one or another is in the subjective realm.

If the RH1 can compete with the X-Bass sound of my old Sharp MD player, then maybe it's worth getting.

If the RH1 can compete with the X-Bass sound of my old Sharp MD player, then maybe it's worth getting.

ChrisG: Please don't get the RH1 without having tried it out or listened to in person. The last thing this forum needs is you getting the RH1, finding out it doesn't have the super-mega-massive-uber-turbo bass that you so desperately desire, then coming back here and telling everyone and their mother how poor a unit the RH1 is. You've already stated in many, many threads that Sony units cannot supply the bass that your old Sharp possesses (no matter what earbuds you use), so why buy another Sony with which you have no first-hand experience? Save yourself money for now and save us from future RH1 complaints. Peace.

ChrisG: Please don't get the RH1 without having tried it out or listened to in person. The last thing this forum needs is you getting the RH1, finding out it doesn't have the super-mega-massive-uber-turbo bass that you so desperately desire, then coming back here and telling everyone and their mother how poor a unit the RH1 is. You've already stated in many, many threads that Sony units cannot supply the bass that your old Sharp possesses (no matter what earbuds you use), so why buy another Sony with which you have no first-hand experience? Save yourself money for now and save us from future RH1 complaints. Peace.

Well, it's not available in the U.S. so there's no way I can try it out. My Sony surround system has something called "bass boost." Something like that on the RH1 would be nice too. Even my dad's Aiwa MD player puts out more bass. Here's an idea: Sony should make one unit designed more for recording purposes and another unit designed more for playback and sound quality. They can call them the RH1 (R = recording) and PH1 (P = playback). I hope the idiots at Sony are reading this.

for someone who believes quality playback equals bass, bass, even more bass, a whole bloody lot of bass added to a whole crapload of bass, with a little bit of bass on top you're quite fast to be calling Sony idiots :lol: ... I'm not saying they are not sometimes... but I guess we all are sometimes (and some a bit more often than others :P )

I do have the RH1 and believe me, if you like music (also the bits besides the bass) it bring very high quality playback for a portable (compared to lots of stuff, evidently also the puddle etc)

for someone who believes quality playback equals bass, bass, even more bass, a whole bloody lot of bass added to a whole crapload of bass, with a little bit of bass on top you're quite fast to be calling Sony idiots :lol: ... I'm not saying they are not sometimes... but I guess we all are sometimes (and some a bit more often than others :P )

I do have the RH1 and believe me, if you like music (also the bits besides the bass) it bring very high quality playback for a portable (compared to lots of stuff, evidently also the puddle etc)

In your personal opinion, is the playback quality better than the RH10 or any other Hi-MD unit you've owned? When I say playback quality, I'm referring to the bass, mids, and highs. Any EQ on the RH1?

In your personal opinion, is the playback quality better than the RH10 or any other Hi-MD unit you've owned? When I say playback quality, I'm referring to the bass, mids, and highs. Any EQ on the RH1?

The quality on the RH1 is in my opinion, the best sound you can get from a MD-Hi-MD player/recorder. The bass is good and clear (again not earth shattering 20 Hz at +20db!!) but still competant enough for a high end system.

There is a 6 band gaphic EQ that is only accesible on the remote (one of the lame features - however, if you do have it running to your home stereo or studio setup, it is best to keep it flat and by running it out of the line-out) and this EQ is by far the best I have heard yet. The highs are more "rounded" and less "digital" the clarity in vocals is superb and I would say it even "softens" up MP3 playback (my ears HATE MP3s)....

I have also used the remote for my on the go player (1st gen MZ-NH600D) and I have found that the EQ (which is activated or even contained on the remote) is actually better than the EQ on the 600D..starnge one that is!

From the very short time I spent testing the RH1 it sounds a great deal better than the RH10, and at least as good as other HD Amp'ed units such as the EH1 / DH10P. And of course it has custom EQ as do most Hi-MD units.

But to be honest this thread has gone way off-topic.. (somewhere around post #9 :P )

it is the same HD digital amp than my NH900 I believe, so little difference there, but I haven't really listened extentively side by side

I did however compare NH900 and RH10 SQ extensively (my NH900 vs my collegue/friend's RH10) and I must say that I really think the NH900/RH1 is crisper/sharper and reproduces music exactly as it is... while the RH10 feels a bit armer but less 'precise' (hard to explain)

my taste in music (and SQ) is definitely towards the NH900/RH1, but I guess ppl who prefer their music bassy could also prefer the warmth (more colored) sound of the RH10's amp... bottom line, they sound different and you could easily choose between them according to your personal taste (and I would advise anyone to do so) without saying one is better than the other... but (for me personally at least :lol: ) the HD digital amp really IS better

compared to other stuff (JVC MD, iPod video, zen micro, ...) there really is no comparison IMHO... the RH1 comes close to HiFi (well as close as any portable could) while the rest comes close to music

the RH1 has the same six band (7steps) eq as the 1st and 2nd gen HiMD, which means it is essentially useless for 'positive adjusting' as you'll lose bass (the lowest band is 100HZ) but 'negative adjusting' (lowering selected or bands) will let you shape the sound as well and will keep and/or even augment the bass. This trick (thanks greenmachine) works just as good for the RH1 as for the other gen HiMDs

there are two eq-settings for your own to experiment with and a bunch of presets (and of course the surround stuff 1st gen had as well, which sounds warm and muddy and I do not really like ... ) and the normaliser which makes all tracks sound equally loud (haven't experimented with this enough to comment on it)

I hope the idiots at Sony are reading this.

To be honest, I think the "idiots" at Sony will be saying, "Stop with the crap earbuds and get yourself some decent headphones if you want earth-shattering bass." :lol:

I just got the RH1 today. I know what you're looking for and I can tell you that you won't be happy with the sound. There's no "mega-bass" like older sony units; just the EQ which can adjust the bass at 100Hz (which is too high of a frequency, in my opinion). I have an older JVC XM-R70 unit which has a much better sounding bass-boost feature. The RH1 just sounds muddy if you adjust the bass on the equalizer. And those virtual surround modes are awful! Do people actually use those?

The RH1 is a great sounding product; it just doesn't have the same 'bass boost' as older units.

I just got the RH1 today. I know what you're looking for and I can tell you that you won't be happy with the sound. There's no "mega-bass" like older sony units; just the EQ which can adjust the bass at 100Hz (which is too high of a frequency, in my opinion). I have an older JVC XM-R70 unit which has a much better sounding bass-boost feature. The RH1 just sounds muddy if you adjust the bass on the equalizer. And those virtual surround modes are awful! Do people actually use those?

The RH1 is a great sounding product; it just doesn't have the same 'bass boost' as older units.

I cannot understand why anyone wants "Mega-Bass". It completely destroys the listening to any music. Leave it for the clubs to bash out on the dance-floor. If you want your ears gone in "short" amount of time, you're going the right way wanting some stupid bass-boost thing, lol.

Just on the side, the RH1 can produce great bass (not over the top) with bass orientated headphones. :lol:

Hi Rhizome,

I'm wanting the same questions answered before I go out and buy one too rhizome.

I have just downlaoded the software [from the download section of this forum - http://forums.minidisc.org/downloads/details.php?file=46] and tried it with my MZ-NH-900. The recorded tracks are recognized and listed in the Hi-MD Wav Importer window but they are grayed out and so I assume I cannot transfer them to my Mac.

As I understand it, you can upload older recordings [in LinearPCM, Hi-SP and Hi-LP self-recordings] made on previous MD units using the MZ-RH1 - so the software will only allow you to do it through the MZ-RH1 and not through any other MD Unit.

Perhaps somone can confirm or correct this ??

Another question I have is regarding the MZ-RH1's ability to play Mp3's. How do mac users transfer mp3's to the MZ-RH1 ?

Regards,

pixelpilot

With the current software supplied with the RH1, you can upload (to a Mac) only Hi-SP/Hi-LP/PCM recordings made with a Mac-Compatible Unit (i.e. the RH1, M200, M100, M10). This is what the product sheet included with the software states. I will definitely test this later today to be sure.

With the RH1 on a PC you can transfer anything except tracks originally transferred via SonicStage/OpenMG Jukebox in NetMD mode. In other words you can transfer SP/MONO/LP2/LP4/Hi-SP/Hi-LP/PCM via SonicStage with the RH1.

I am unaware if there will be software released for Mac that will allow you to transfer music to the recorder as the current software supplied does not do this.