MZ-RH710 at 70 GB pounds at Currys Digital (old Dixons)

Rate this topic

grf

Hi Folks,

Just browsing at the Chelmsford Currys Digital and find this lonely MZ-RH710 marked at 89.99. Further investigation reveals that they have just reduced the price on the system to 69.99 GB pounds.

I bought it for a spare and for Greek holidays as it runs on 1x AA. No remote or mains adapter though.

It is clearly a ploy to clear the shelves of minidisc.

Hi,

Also checked the Sony store today and they expect the RH1 in August now: It was previously July 7th.

btw Currys tried to steer me away from the RH710 saying it was 'old technology' and MP3 players were better. I considered starting a debate about 64Kb/s in Artrac and MP3 and the quality differences but bit my lip and got the RH710 for a good price instead. The salesmans face was very confused, it was a real picture, he did not know wether I DID know what I was talking about (and therefore slightly humiliated him) or that I was fool and he had pulled a fast sale. He wasnt quite sure....

But in any case Curry will not be stocking the RH1. They are famous in the UK for being completely ignorant of the products they sell.

Best regards

Graham

Hi,

Also checked the Sony store today and they expect the RH1 in August now: It was previously July 7th.

btw Currys tried to steer me away from the RH710 saying it was 'old technology' and MP3 players were better. I considered starting a debate about 64Kb/s in Artrac and MP3 and the quality differences but bit my lip and got the RH710 for a good price instead. The salesmans face was very confused, it was a real picture, he did not know wether I DID know what I was talking about (and therefore slightly humiliated him) or that I was fool and he had pulled a fast sale. He wasnt quite sure....

But in any case Curry will not be stocking the RH1. They are famous in the UK for being completely ignorant of the products they sell.

Best regards

Graham

:lol: Totally agree with you. They claim to be leaders in selling digital technology, and they know nothing about MD. Really sums them up to be honest. None of the representives in my local store probably don't know any inch of knowledge. They're just there to hassle you when you're quietly deciding what you want. I consider Currys as the "average joe" selling "average joe" products such as the iPod *cough* :fool: .

64kps isn't SQ.

Stop being picky. grf only came with an example :huh: . To be honest, 64kbps is quite impressive against other formats. Even though it is mushy (like any other codec at 64kbps), it seems to keeps its stereo presence.

Anyway, enough of that. :lol:

Hi,

No worries. I only picked on 64Kbps as a clear (and demonstratable ) example to the salesperson of how ARTRAC sounds better (bit for bit) against other formats, not as a quality goal to aim for. Any really technical discussion would have passed over his head at about 30,000 feet.

I am really pleased with the 710 at that price and I am sure it will become my 'travelling player'.

Best regards

Graham

Hi,

The black is very sexy. The remote port is as standard but as usual in these things not all the main units functions are available on the remote. It was surprising to me to find that although it has a 3 line display not all the available functions were visible on the RM-MC40ELK.

Top level on the unit:-

Edit

Display

Play Mode

Sound

Rec Set

Option

On the 3 line remote:

Edit

MainPlaymode

Option

Sony must have had a special team of firmware writers tasked to make sure of in-compatibilty.

Regards

Graham

• 4 weeks later...

Wheres the group button?

There's no group button, the jog wheel has to be used to scroll through the tracks, and the three line display shows you the current track, previous track, and next track in this mode. However, with the jog dial, it's not much trouble.

BUt yeah, the piano black 710 is a beauty, and a perfect work horse in conjunction with the RH1.

BUt yeah, the piano black 710 is a beauty, and a perfect work horse in conjunction with the RH1.

I have to agree - I have a black DH-710 (which is the download only version of the RH-710) and It's a great workhorse unit. It's nice to look at, yet, I don't care if it gets abused. The AA battery life is pretty decent too - I actually prefer the sound quality on it over my NH900 which has an HD Digital amp.

There's no group button, the jog wheel has to be used to scroll through the tracks, and the three line display shows you the current track, previous track, and next track in this mode. However, with the jog dial, it's not much trouble.

Are you kidding me. Theres no Group button? :scare:

Hi,

Best regards

Graham

I agree with you about the appalling ignorance of Curry's staff in general.

I was looking around for a new Desktop computer --the salesman actually said (I wish I had had my RH1 at the time to have recorded the converstaion) --don't bother with these models --you need the New flat Digital models --pointing me to the laptop section.

I'm sure he was really convinced that a desktop computer was actaly an "analog" model.

Anyway needless to say I didn't buy ANYTHING from that store.

Cheers

-K

Well, I just picked up a brand new RH710 for £35 at Currys yesterday. I don't call that a rip off by any stretch... Get 'em while you can :P

I meant no having a group button. For that price I'd snap one up, even just to use for putting stuff on and off disks. The only 710 I see in Ireland are €200. Thats in Argos.