Got my RH1 Today!

Rate this topic

raintheory

Letting the unit charge fully before any testing. Says 25min left. :)

This thing is perfect size though. I'll tell ya. At first I thought the little toggle jog lever thing was going to be a pain, but it's actually quite nice.

The Mac Music Transfer software on the CD that came with SonicStage (3.4 don't ask me why) says that it can only transfer material recorded on a Hi-MD mac compatible unit. And only the following formats - PCM, Hi-SP, Hi-LP.

Thats some good news, perhaps the software will enable users of the M10/M100 to actually upload the other formats besides PCM.

Also says it convers all files to WAV when importing.

Says it will not transfer Legacy recordings to Mac. And mentions absolutely nothing about transferring music to Hi-MD from the Mac.

Damn...all these "i got my RH1" topics are putting my patience to a strong test :) Put yourself in my shoes: I got my Rh1 about 10 days ago but won't be able to lay eyes (and hands) on it until mid july (I got it through my brother who lives in London, as I'm in Paris and the RH1 won't be here before...well, ages).

I read all that can be read about it, I've seen all the pictures and the pdf brochures, just to get in the mood. How pathetic is that? hehehe

Pre-ordered the unit from SoundProfessionals back in mid-May. Before they raised the price of the unit. In total I paid $307. I also got a free SoundProfessionals mic.

Side-note, just uploaded my first SP track (though it needed to convert it to either WAV or Hi-SP when importing).

Trying to get my Legacy discs in a row now. Will probably be spending the next month or so trying to back all of this stuff up. :)

My fiance is now upstairs loading the Mac software so we can test it out.

Damn...all these "i got my RH1" topics are putting my patience to a strong test :) Put yourself in my shoes: I got my Rh1 about 10 days ago but won't be able to lay eyes (and hands) on it until mid july (I got it through my brother who lives in London, as I'm in Paris and the RH1 won't be here before...well, ages).

I read all that can be read about it, I've seen all the pictures and the pdf brochures, just to get in the mood. How pathetic is that? hehehe

Norick, have him express ship that thing to you! :help: That's rough. After paying for one, I'd have a hard time waiting for more than a few days to get it.

Cool! Now tell us about the bass output of the unit. That's what everyone here wants to know, whether they admit it or not.

be honest Chris YOU are the only one interested in deep bass, buy a decent set of over the ear, and not canal type headphones, and stop condemning for your perceived shortcomings.

As for realistic sound, we are all intersted.

Take care,

Bob

Letting the unit charge fully before any testing. Says 25min left. :)

This thing is perfect size though. I'll tell ya. At first I thought the little toggle jog lever thing was going to be a pain, but it's actually quite nice.

The Mac Music Transfer software on the CD that came with SonicStage (3.4 don't ask me why) says that it can only transfer material recorded on a Hi-MD mac compatible unit. And only the following formats - PCM, Hi-SP, Hi-LP.

Thats some good news, perhaps the software will enable users of the M10/M100 to actually upload the other formats besides PCM.

Also says it convers all files to WAV when importing.

Says it will not transfer Legacy recordings to Mac. And mentions absolutely nothing about transferring music to Hi-MD from the Mac.

They probably shipped 3.4 because 4.0 CP was not yet ready for manufacturing. It might be interesting to see what the Mac software can achieve (even if I don't have one personnally)

It's here.

I'm excited.

I'll post more about it later. It deserves my attention. :lol:

Congrats..

I got mine yesterday...It's a wonderful machine... light and powerfull sound... The model that I got is an european one, so i hacked it to get the high volume... and I am making some back ups of my old discs recorded with my R-900 and then record them in a HI MD.

I like the display, the way I charge the battery, the quality of the sound of the recordedconversations and enviroment sounds... I love my new machine... It has converted to my third arm because I never take it off from me... :P

Here in Chile, at one of the local sony store, the sales man told me that I was getting the last one from 10 machines they got during the week... (that probably explain that Chile is mentioned in the user manual).

Thanks for posting the pics raintheory. Mine finally came in the other day. I love the quality of the RH1. The disc load/eject action is perfect for the unit. Also the gray microfiber pouch Sony included is a nice touch.

Got my RH1 two days ago. What can I say... excellent unit, definitely a great improvement over NH1. Much improved transfer speeds, impressive battery life, fantastic sound - all those iPod fans just don't realize what kind of sound quality they are missing ;) . Can't really add much to what has already been said, except to say that the experience is much better with the 3-line MC40ELK remote, rather than the remote supplied with the RH1. So, I highly recommend getting one.

I have a couple "build quality" questions about my RH1, wondering if anyone could comment--

1. If I push down on where the "Walkman" silver logo is on the RH1, I get an ever-so-faint clicking noise where the unit doesn't fit together 100% correctly. I don't get that on any other corner. (I vaguely remember reading something about this but can't find it now with a search)

2. The jog dial/shuttle (whatever it's called-- FF/RW) seems to be much more sensitive to pushing down than up. Going through a disc, I barely need to touch pressing down, but going up I need to push almost to the top (where it mechanically can go no further)

Has anyone else noticed these issues? (I'm not TOO worried; well, I am more about the dial than the clicking.. but if no one else is seeing this kind of thing I'd like to know)

Thanks!

I have a couple "build quality" questions about my RH1, wondering if anyone could comment--

1. If I push down on where the "Walkman" silver logo is on the RH1, I get an ever-so-faint clicking noise where the unit doesn't fit together 100% correctly. I don't get that on any other corner. (I vaguely remember reading something about this but can't find it now with a search)

2. The jog dial/shuttle (whatever it's called-- FF/RW) seems to be much more sensitive to pushing down than up. Going through a disc, I barely need to touch pressing down, but going up I need to push almost to the top (where it mechanically can go no further)

Has anyone else noticed these issues? (I'm not TOO worried; well, I am more about the dial than the clicking.. but if no one else is seeing this kind of thing I'd like to know)

Thanks!

i got exactly same problems as u. and i found that the open button quite sensitive too. if i put it into a bag it is very easily to push it then it will think u have insert a new disc and read again. very annoying.

i got exactly same problems as u. and i found that the open button quite sensitive too. if i put it into a bag it is very easily to push it then it will think u have insert a new disc and read again. very annoying.

I don't quite understand either, why the eject button is not flat :blink::blink:

;)

How hard are you pressing down on the corner of the unit? I pressed down on mine during a read and I didn't hear anything. I'm sure any certain degree of force being applied to the RH1 or other MD recorders is bad. ;)

I noticed this also. Hold the unit vertically in your hand and use your thumb to change tracks. You will notice that it responds equally in both directions.

Edited by jrv2kgt-s

How hard are you pressing down on the corner of the unit? I pressed down on mine during a read and I didn't hear anything. I'm sure any certain degree of force being applied to the RH1 or other MD recorders is bad. ;)

I noticed this also. Hold the unit vertically in your hand and use your thumb to change tracks. You will notice that it responds equally in both directions.

Just in normal handling I can hear it clicking as I move it around, if I hit right on the right spot. I'm not pressing hard by any means, and it has to be pretty much right on the Walkman logo. If I watch the corner as I press I can see it move in ever so slightly. It doesn't seem to affect anything. If I were to return it for minor things like this I'd probably get one that ships in 15 (broken) pieces. ;)

Edited by Justin42

Thanks!

Yeah.. I notice this when I was trying to go one track ahead... The unit didn't change, so I have to manage this with the other hand... then I thought that I have to run for my warranty, but reading this probably Sony made this intentionally... Why?...

Maybe I'll be in the minority here but I actually love the new eject button. So often the sliding buttons flush on the unit have my thumb too close up against the lid so that the lid doesn't quite spring open all the way and the disc isn't pushed out half way to make removal easy. With the eject button on the RH1, the actual need to press it means my thumb is less likely to interfere with the lid and I get a much more reliable disk release. And the button on my unit takes a good push. I haven't experienced any problems with it in any bags - I would think one would really have to push the device up against other items in the bag to get the button to eject the disc.

But I do agree that the FF/FR button on the unit is quite flakey - for me especially in the FF direction. I discovered that by using my thumb to push the button in the direction of FF rather than pull it in that direction from a different angle, that I can get FF to work much more reliably.