I just go the Sony SA1000. Did I really?

Rate this topic

rickdangerous

Hi guys. I just got the sony SA1000.

I bought them new from ebay, couldn't find them anywhere here in Greece...

I'm a bit worried if they are the real thing... :(

I'm concerned because there are no leather-pads as advertised by sony...

I'm not sure about the quality of manufacture.

Any opinions by someone who also has the same phones?

Is there a way I can tell they're not fake..?

Tomorrow I'll try to take a few photos.

I'd really appreciate any help!

Thank you

Hi guys. I just got the sony SA1000.

I bought them new from ebay, couldn't find them anywhere here in Greece...

I'm a bit worried if they are the real thing... :(

I'm concerned because there are no leather-pads as advertised by sony...

I'm not sure about the quality of manufacture.

Any opinions by someone who also has the same phones?

Is there a way I can tell they're not fake..?

Tomorrow I'll try to take a few photos.

I'd really appreciate any help!

Thank you

I don't think the SA1000's have leather pads - see here:

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=14347

and here for photos:

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=14333

Thanks for replying richyhu. I read the review. I missed the photos.

Yes, that seems to be what I got.

I just saw a picture where the pads look different on sony site which also advertises leather pads.

Here's the link. Hmm

By the way, mine says made in china.. Damage?

Unfortunately Sony are notorious for mistakes on their websites (like advertsing line-in on the DH10P, 3-line remote for the RH1 etc..).

I'm not sure where they are made, as I don't have any but maybe send a PM to Damage to confirm. Were the phones you got boxed? I think you seem to be ok.

Yes the phones were boxed, the box wasn't sealed in any way though which was the first thing to worry me.

Is this normal for these cans?

The metallic things (I know my english is great..) on each side that are used for fixing the height seem a bit deteriorated, I don't know if this is met on most SA cans and if that's just the way they come out of the factory. But other than that the cans look brand new. The cable was folded as new as one would expect. The warranty paper was included, unfortunately the warranty is only valid for the U.S. (I was expecting that anyway), I just hope I won't need it.

Thanks richyhu, I'm starting to believe the pad-parts are as they should be.

I'm still a bit worried about the other stuff I wrote above, but I was going crazy for a moment there... phew..

And something a bit off-topic.

Is there a recommended way to store cans and fold the cable while not in use?

This is my first pair of quality phones, I wasn't really looking after the other phones I had..(R.I.P. phonies)

Yes the phones were boxed, the box wasn't sealed in any way though which was the first thing to worry me.

Is this normal for these cans?

The metallic things (I know my english is great..) on each side that are used for fixing the height seem a bit deteriorated, I don't know if this is met on most SA cans and if that's just the way they come out of the factory. But other than that the cans look brand new. The cable was folded as new as one would expect. The warranty paper was included, unfortunately the warranty is only valid for the U.S. (I was expecting that anyway), I just hope I won't need it.

Thanks richyhu, I'm starting to believe the pad-parts are as they should be.

I'm still a bit worried about the other stuff I wrote above, but I was going crazy for a moment there... phew..

And something a bit off-topic.

Is there a recommended way to store cans and fold the cable while not in use?

This is my first pair of quality phones, I wasn't really looking after the other phones I had..(R.I.P. phonies)

I guess your box looked like this

IPB Image

I'm trying to remember if my SA5000's were sealed in cellophane on top of the usual box or not - I'm 99% sure they were but they have a normal cardboard box, and were the JP version not the box type above used on the SA1000/3000. These kinds of boxes that can be hooked up on racks are not usually sealed again in plastic I think - although someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I can only speak from experience. They could well have some kind of tape though closing the box shut.

As for storage you can hang them on some kind of peg I guess, or store them flat - as long as you're careful that's the main thing.

There some cable wrap things you can buy : something like http://smartwrap.net/ but I'm not sure if the SA1000's cable is not too thick for those. I just use some plastic cable ties after wrapping the cable in a small circle.

Thanks for the recommendations guys, especially richyhu!

No problem - enjoy them If you want to post some pics of the sides where the height adjusters are we can have a look - or just post some pics in general - we always enjoy looking at other people's acquisitions. ;)

I will try to get my hands on a camera tomorrow and post a few pics.

I've no experience in taking good photos so don't expect any of the stuff you're used to here... :rolleyes:

The height adjusters aren't in tragic condition of course, but you know how the mind works..

Especially the mind of someone who paid 140euros...

First no leather pads (ok I think this is normal now). Then unsealed box, slight deterioration on the edges of the height adjusters..mmm

Let's hope all these are normal and I'm just being strange!

I don't believe they were sealed in any way when I received them from Buy.com. But then again, all the V6s had was a piece of scotch tape (Frys), so it will vary from store to store.

But the boxes are the same, the headphones you have are ~99.99% legit. Using the plastic ties should be more than enough to mind your cables, and are cheaper than the other alternatives available (Which are mostly for portables).