Any other Mac-users who DiDn't go Hi-MD & just got an MZ-RH1 ? =-= what to do ?

Rate this topic

DavidMRoberts

Having joyfully joined the MD elite in late `97, i barely noticed the evolution of Hi-MD, nor did i wish to begin playing catch-up !....I'm sure many of us have waited months for the MZ-RH1, . . .me among ya' !. I only got my Mac 10.4.6 Intel Duo-core w/ doubled mem and Ram in late March, 1st computer too !! I'm getting lonlier by the word here, huh ?

Funny how the Mz comes w/ a Mac-compatibility "manual", yet when no device's connection was detected, my pursuit began : MiniDisco offered a link to this community / Sony responded to tell me that not even Hi-MD would be handled from MZ to Mac <<??>>, thanks for the gag-manual then !

i'm sure I'll find a few other nifty uses for this new item outside of it's intended job , and there IS analog real-time for MD-to-Mac, but the question that finally blossoms forth here IS =-=-= anyone think software updates may eventually spring-up SoMewhere??, & how alone AM i in my freaky little sub-category ??

This is a much more complicated forum-site then this newbie has seen, took me awhile to stumble into posting HeRe, and if I'm in the wrong arena, I'll mosey along till i find the right one, but for NoW... . . ... . .

Edited by DmR of AtoZ

Welcome - ;)

The MZ-RH1 should be recognized on the MAC as a USB storage device. Using the (current) Hi-MD Music Transfer for Mac software supplied you should be able to upload PCM, Hi-SP, and HI-LP recordings made on the unit and convert them to WAV.

An updated version of the software should be out later in the summer that will hopefully allow the download of Linear PCM / MP3 (no atrac) to Hi-MD from the Mac.

Welcome - ;)

The MZ-RH1 should be recognized on the MAC as a USB storage device. Using the (current) Hi-MD Music Transfer for Mac software supplied you should be able to upload PCM, Hi-SP, and HI-LP recordings made on the unit and convert them to WAV.

An updated version of the software should be out later in the summer that will hopefully allow the download of Linear PCM / MP3 (no atrac) to Hi-MD from the Mac.

well thanks for the welcoming wink richyhu ! ~~:-*-:~~ the later summer sounds like MY saviour , as all my MD's were made on JB-930 or JE-470 and 480, therefore bein' plain old MD , no ?

hopefully ^_^

i'm in the same boat [kinda].. been putting off my MD purchase mainly because i work primarily on mac [plus i don't really need one yet, just wishful thinking]..

with bootcamp though, i can use windows on my imac so that's at least a workaround.. not ideal though..

damn sony and their closed formats/software :angry::lol:

the MZ is really nice though.. almost hits that 'perfect' spot of aesthetics/utility

Edited by tangent23

well thanks for the welcoming wink richyhu ! ~~:-*-:~~ the later summer sounds like MY saviour , as all my MD's were made on JB-930 or JE-470 and 480, therefore bein' plain old MD , no ?

Not necessarily - the upload of legacy MD tracks as far as I know is still not available on Macs.

hopefully ^_^

i'm in the same boat [kinda].. been putting off my MD purchase mainly because i work primarily on mac [plus i don't really need one yet, just wishful thinking]..

with bootcamp though, i can use windows on my imac so that's at least a workaround.. not ideal though..

damn sony and their closed formats/software :angry::lol:

the MZ is really nice though.. almost hits that 'perfect' spot of aesthetics/utility

You are right here. It makes no sense that Sony hasn't offered Mac compatibility for transfers, up and down, yet. Of course after see the fiasco that was the Connect software when it debuted, it might be simply too much for the Sony programmers to write decent software for the Mac...especially considering that Mac users are very vocal about good and bad software.

You are right here. It makes no sense that Sony hasn't offered Mac compatibility for transfers, up and down, yet. Of course after see the fiasco that was the Connect software when it debuted, it might be simply too much for the Sony programmers to write decent software for the Mac...especially considering that Mac users are very vocal about good and bad software.

You say that as if their PC products have a stellar reputation for stability and functionality. ;)

Not necessarily - the upload of legacy MD tracks as far as I know is still not available on Macs.

well PhoOey then, guess I'm stuck w/ this nice device.,...,.,.,certainly not a waste and, as i said before, i'm sure i'll find uses for it that i can't even imagine in my earliest stages here !!

Glad to see i've stirred a little bit of thread, ____hope to see a few more chime in as i add to my own comprehension.

Meaning ! >> as i learn what's NoT well-served (( listening Sony ? ~~~ right )) __ and read as folks discuss what run's on what / which is where / and what da' who, . . ....i'll add puzzle-pieces to MY perspective ! "Sharing experience & aiding understanding" =-= Hey ! that's why we're HeRe !, right ?!

Edited by DmR of AtoZ

• 1 month later...

Sorry to be slow but I have just got my first IMAC intel/duo and my wife has just bought the MZ-RH1. I am new to MAC and while it is amazing, it drives me mad trying to get stuff to work. The minidisk software HI-MD software installs ok (the latest version 2 which sony says works with the intel duo. I plug in the minidisk and start the software and all I get is device/media not connected!!!

I check the system profiler and it shows that the Net MD/HI-MD is in the USB device tree.

Where do I go from here? Any ideas? :blink: