HD Digital amp woes

Rate this topic

blazer78

Before i head out and get the RH1, i was just wondering about the HD digital amp. Judging by previous posts made by people about the HD Digital amp, its supposed to make your songs clearer and more detailed.

Now, i own an iaudio G3 and it has technologies so called "BBE", "MP" and "Mach3Bass" and they do wonders to the audio to make it more enjoyable, does the HD Digital amp work as well as those, or does it have a different effect on audio playback completely?

I have previously owned various MD units without HD Digital amp, they were fine, just didn't have as much bass as the iaudio G3. I use the Audio Tech CM7Ti earbuds and the Alessandro MS-2 headphones.

The digitial amp gives an overall crisper, more detailed sound. It also adds deeper bass. In tinkering around in the sound menu, I've managed to give my unit just as much bass as my HD5. The HD5 sound is just not as buoyant and has less emphasis on the background instrumentation. My unit is the NH1, by the way. I think you'll love the sound of the RH1. It should be impeccable.

I think you're going on the wrong track here trying to compare the iAudio G3's BBE technology and the HD Digital Amp on the RH1.

Very simply, BBE offers "sound enhancements" to lost quality and processes the sounds files before sending out to your ears. Basically, like a DSP (Digital Sound Processor) in other words.

The HD Digital Amp offers true or better "representation" of playout from the amp of the music stored on the MD. Lets say, you put a MP3 @ 192kbps VBR on both the G3 (with BBE, Mach3Bass and MP off) and RH1 and played them both and compared them...... you should hear a major difference in playback representation. The G3 will have a fair inferior amp and you should be able to hear the difference.

I think MD people have more faith in the abilities of the HD Digital amps than other people. http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=80152

However like Tunster said EQ/DSP's features serve a different purpose than an amp. At the end of the day it depends what you are trying to achieve. A sound you like, or a sound thats more accurate, to the original.

At the end of the day it depends what you are trying to achieve. A sound you like, or a sound thats more accurate, to the original.

Aww... can't i have both? :lol: I notice that my amp is able to produce clearer sound compared to my mp3 player, but i dunno.. if the HD digital amp is able to reproduce something similar to my headroom amp then i'd be happy. I guess the only way to find out is by trying it out. :D

Edited by blazer78

Don't forget you can use the EQ on the RH1 to give your sound a bit of emphasise if you want. Sometimes I do on Rock music and turn it on to a custom setting.

Its all down to your hearing and what you prefer/like or want to hear.