Sony Style (USA) drop MD items

Rate this topic

mrsoul

I have been checking off and on the Sony Style site here in the USA for signs of the RH-1 and was surprised to see all MDs gone from the site today. I had found the RH910 and some useless accessories on there recently but nothing today. The links still reads something like CD/Minidisc/Cassette players but the site no longer lists any minidisc players.

Oh well, I wasn't planning to buy one from them unless it had no interest for a year but looks like that ain't gonna happen since they have dropped the minidisc sales altogether. Well, they were always MSRP or more and the site never had the specs correct. Just a shame to see it happening... :huh:

I could be wrong, but I think it is in the professional section.

Yeah, I thought so, too. The MD units were moved here (http://bssc.sel.sony.com/BroadcastandBusin...y.com/index.php), but they're not there anymore. They do have a page on the MZ-RH1 if you do a search there, but it's just a description.

Talk about making the already niche market of MD more niche. Sure, it's for pros, but why remove it from the consumer side? Not eveybody knows the pro website, not even the pros. If you go from Sony.com, the obvious links are to sonystyle. Oh well, as if Sony USA has a marketing department in the 1st place.

It's all here (where they belong in my opinion):

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/BroadcastandBusin...;p=10&sp=83

Geez, I tried looking all over that Business/Pro site (well, OK, I spent a few minutes trying at least). Can they make it any more difficult to track these things down?

Geez, I tried looking all over that Business/Pro site (well, OK, I spent a few minutes trying at least). Can they make it any more difficult to track these things down?

By sheer dumb luck, I clicked on "Pro Audio" and then "Portable Recorders"

:lol:

Talk about making the already niche market of MD more niche. Sure, it's for pros, but why remove it from the consumer side? Not eveybody knows the pro website, not even the pros. If you go from Sony.com, the obvious links are to sonystyle. Oh well, as if Sony USA has a marketing department in the 1st place.

:D

Well said. The product is (was?) an Average Joe product with copious overspill into decent recording territory. It should be on both sites. It's a damn shame that since most of the restrictions have been lifted, the format is hidden like this.

The good news:

http://www.sony.com.au/walkman/category.jsp?id=21995

Sony Australia has it back where it belongs, after its mysterious disappearance. Not too keen on the price, but nobody's forcing a gun to my head to buy it here. :lol:

Just went to a local sonystyle store, there is no traces of MD/HiMD at all. The store used to sell the RH910 and some blanks. Now, none of them are found, not even blanks.

So much for our beloved format. Sony USA marketing team at its best... :(

What do you expect these days? The we (the U.S.) are just Sony's dumping grounds/electronic graveyard. May next year they will provide us with those new-fangled transistor radios too.

What do you expect these days? The we (the U.S.) are just Sony's dumping grounds/electronic graveyard. May next year they will provide us with those new-fangled transistor radios too.

Yeah I heard about something called Beta-Max too... supposed to be the next big thing. Can't wait! :lol:

Amen. It just strikes me as appalling that Sony is baffled by its monumental failure in the current U.S. electronics market. It is not rocket science why you are now being murdered by former generic Creativ in addition to Apple. You flatly don't offer as many features, and then you do a limited release of everything. lol This is laughable. With my recent purchase of an NH-1 and an NH900, I figure I have bought myself at least five more years in the format. Plus, my NHF800 is still fully functional.

Amen. It just strikes me as appalling that Sony is baffled by its monumental failure in the current U.S. electronics market. It is not rocket science why you are now being murdered by former generic Creativ in addition to Apple.

Well, that's how smart those big Sony execs are. :) And to save the company, Sir howard cut 10000 jobs. Hmm, I got a better idea, how about firing those stupid execs instead? Again, until Sony cut the music and movie industry off (or spin off the consumer electronics to a seperate company), we won't see any potential contender against the iPod. With MS joining in addition to the gaming platform, let's see how Sony will fare.

With rockbox providing gapless on iPods, I see less and less incentive for Sony portable audio devices.

Well, that's how smart those big Sony execs are. And to save the company, Sir howard cut 10000 jobs. Hmm, I got a better idea, how about firing those stupid execs instead? Again, until Sony cut the music and movie industry off (or spin off the consumer electronics to a seperate company), we won't see any potential contender against the iPod. With MS joining in addition to the gaming platform, let's see how Sony will fare.

With rockbox providing gapless on iPods, I see less and less incentive for Sony portable audio devices.

I guess what puzzles me the most is that they seem content to let the image of teh brand itself suffer terribly. I have all but accepted that Sony doesn't even have a shot at portable audio until the next big thing happens. Of course, it will likely screw that up, too.

Just went to a local sonystyle store, there is no traces of MD/HiMD at all. The store used to sell the RH910 and some blanks. Now, none of them are found, not even blanks.

So much for our beloved format. Sony USA marketing team at its best... :(

I went to the Sony store in San Francisco and they had 3 or 4 different minidiscs. The highest model, though, is the one with the camera at $249. Their HiMD blanks are behind the counter in plain sight.

What was interesting was that they had a Sony A100 or whatever the 8GB model is. I would have actually purchased it if it was in any color other than pink, but that's what they had. It's a nice looking and very unique item that I'm sure not many Americans own or, for that matter, seen.

What was interesting was that they had a Sony A100 or whatever the 8GB model is. I would have actually purchased it if it was in any color other than pink, but that's what they had. It's a nice looking and very unique item that I'm sure not many Americans own or, for that matter, seen.

My local sonystyle has the purple one, and they have at least 5 units on the shelf. However, considering a regular Joe can go to Target and buy an 8GB zen micro photo for the same price, I don't think the NW-A1200 will see any good sales.