Minidisc.org Hacked Again

Christopher

For a few days, the forum was compromised via the Exploit-BO.gen trojan. The hackers (same as before) planted iframe html code in the forum's header through an exploit in the forum software to autolaunch this malicious process. We've installed server-side anti-virus and numerous background applications have been patched accordingly. We will be taking a more aggressive stance towards these actions to ensure that if this does occur in the future, our reaction is swift and the damage is minimal. Thank you for your understanding and support, and we sincerely apologize for any woes induced by this nuisance.

I was wondering why my outpost kept alarming only on the main forum page but not the individual sub forums. I thought it was just a false alarm caused by some ad or something LOL. Glad to see that you guys made an attempt to fix it. Nice to know there's a live group of people keeping the forums nice and tidy!

Thanks!

Are they specifically targeting minidisc.org or just general power board forums?

I think, it's the latter.

However, we would a lot less of these hacking attempts, if everyone stops using the Internet Explorer.

The goal is always the same: Exploit a flaw in IE to establish a trojan in the visitors machine, which then downloads extensions to turn the visitors machine into a zombie, useable for Spam-delivery or DDOS-attempts.

I think, it's the latter.

However, we would a lot less of these hacking attempts, if everyone stops using the Internet Explorer.

The goal is always the same: Exploit a flaw in IE to establish a trojan in the visitors machine, which then downloads extensions to turn the visitors machine into a zombie, useable for Spam-delivery or DDOS-attempts.

I'm not sure if this was related to an IE exploit specifically or more a general Windows loophole that could be exploited in combination with the board software. I personally use Firefox most of the time and it seems the last couple of times this has occurred Firefox users have fared a bit better. For what it is worth I did some testing with IE7 Beta 3 yesterday and it didn't let anything through on the client side.