Alternative batteries for the MZ-NH1?

Rate this topic

tomuk

I am experiencing problems with the Lithium Ion Battery (LIP-4WM) for my MZ-NH1 mini-disc player. On phoning Sony spare parts they quoted me a price of £85 (!)(UK) for a new one. This seems far too much. Does anyone know if I can use an alternative battery for the player? Thanks in advance.

I think you are stuck with the battery, you could try taking the battery to a Radio Shack or equivalent, as well as a photography shop, who knows.

Don't know if you trust ebay, but supposedly they are there as well.

Good luck,

Bob

Thanks to both of you with for your advice. It's sad that I will have to resort to buying a 'bootleg' battery from China on e-bay but there is no way I am paying the £85 I was quoted by Sony for one battery. It was interesting to see on the thread you linked to that someone else has been quoted by Sony an entirely different (and cheaper) price. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to both of you with for your advice. It's sad that I will have to resort to buying a 'bootleg' battery from China on e-bay but there is no way I am paying the £85 I was quoted by Sony for one battery. It was interesting to see on the thread you linked to that someone else has been quoted by Sony an entirely different (and cheaper) price. Thanks again.

I still haven't bought a spare for my MZ-NH1. Instead I bought more recorders :P But it would be nice for someone to dissect both batteries to put the "original-versus-el-cheapo" thing to rest. Any takers? :P

I still haven't bought a spare for my MZ-NH1. Instead I bought more recorders :P But it would be nice for someone to dissect both batteries to put the "original-versus-el-cheapo" thing to rest. Any takers? :P

I have an EBay-China-originated spare Li-Ion Battery for my NH1, and it appears to be fine.

Not quite what you were implying, but HtH anyway ...

Edited by Mr_Bass_Man

I have an EBay-China-originated spare Li-Ion Battery for my NH1, and it appears to be fine.

Not quite what you were implying, but HtH anyway ...

Oh, I was just suggesting a dissection of both batteries, to see how the internals compare. Perhaps any construction or marking differences can be identified 100% this way. Then again maybe not. Just that it seems so vague whether they are genuine, though they appear to be working fine. Would be nice to have 100% certainty.

Hi,

I have bought 3 batteries for my NH1 and RH1 recorders from the chinese source on Ebay. I think they are 'production shrinkage' from the same factory thay Sony use. They work and are in all respects the same as the originals. I weighed both and they are identical. I have had the 'chinese' one in the RH1 for some weeks and the charging and playing times are the same as the originals.

There ARE very cheap chinese batteries around which you should avoid at all costs (they do not last long enough to get them out of the packet) but these from ebay are worth having. The delivery takes about a week.

Best regards

graham

Here are 2 (not necessarily cheaper) alternatives:

If you can find these, there is the Panasonic RP-BP3L, but retail prices them around the same as Sony's LIP4WM.

And, there is also the "ghetto rig," which uses the modified AA attachment of the N10 that is held onto the NH1 with a rubber band or similar.

Is there any way to charge the MZ-NH1 batteries without the cradle? My cradle no longer seems to charge, but the MZ-NH1 works when connected to USB (and gets a tiny minute charge that is held for a second or two). The charging stopped working while the battery was alive, so I am pretty sure it is not the battery.

I really don't want to spend $100 for the cord and cradle that Sony is charging - next time I get an R-09 and deal with AA batteries!