Input voltage to RH1?

Rate this topic

fatmuttony

I just got my MZ RH1 package delivered to my house, and I need to know how I can power up the unit considering that the cord that comes with it is built for use in the US, ie 110 V, 60 Hz. I live in India, where we use 220 V, 50 Hz.

THe user manual says that the input power to the adaptor is 100 - 240V ac. Does this mean that all I need is a connector that can interface between my wall socket and the US plug? Or do I need a device to step down the input voltage before I can power the unit? I'm currently hesitant to plug in and try it out...

Any advice?

Looks like the adaptor itself is fine for use in India (check the adaptor - it must have 100-240 V printed on its case). But I would advice you to replace the cord with the one designed for 220 V and your wall socket. It looks like the adaptor uses a standard cord socket (albeit a bit strange one). One word of caution though. Do not buy cheap imitations - get a good 220 V cord from a reliable store.

Edited by Avrin

Looks like the adaptor itself is fine for use in India (check the adaptor - it must have 100-240 V printed on its case). But I would advice you to replace the cord with the one designed for 220 V and your wall socket. It looks like the adaptor uses a standard cord socket (albeit a bit strange one). One word of caution though. Do not buy cheap imitations - get a good 220 V cord from a reliable store.

Thanks Avrin. I checked the socket in the adaptor and it looks like my stereo system uses the same socket to receive power from the mains. Should I try using the cord that leads from my mains to my stereo system to plug into my RH1? Or is that a dangerous move?

Meanwhile, I've hooked up my RH1 to the computer via USB cable (I didn't realise that it could also be charged that way! Silly me :D) but curiously enough, the computer flashed me a warning saying new hardware discovered, and to identify a driver. Is this driver on the CD that came with the unit? Does this mean I also have to install the SonicStage that came with the unit before it will be recognized? As of now, SonicStage (I have 3.4 ) does not show the Hi MD option in the Transfer options. Only Create an MP3 CD, Create an ATRAC CD, etc...

I'm not sure you need to replace the cord. If the adaptor accepts 100-240v so will the cord, just get a plug adaptor if needed to go on the end.

Ok. Got it. Meanwhile, like I said, I've hooked it up to my computer via USB. However, the display shows nothing. Any idea how long I should leave it hooked up to USB to get a full charge? LI Ion batteries don't like to be interrupted while charging right?

The info you got was from the system, the RH1 acts like a mass storage device, so your OS tries to find a drive for it.

Wether it finds one or not, the drive should be accessible.

Charging:

Apparently, only when using the AC adaptor, you get the charge message with minutes left.

When hooking up via USB, you only get the battery animation while it charges.

Once it´s gone, the battery is charged - I don´t know if it´s full 100% or the "sufficient" 80%, or if it ever will completely charge at all, when using USB.

My guess is that it merely doesn´t show, but continues to charge.

The info you got was from the system, the RH1 acts like a mass storage device, so your OS tries to find a drive for it.

Wether it finds one or not, the drive should be accessible.

But my unit is not accessible if I click on Cancel when it says it needs to find a driver. Any ideas?

When hooking up via USB, you only get the battery animation while it charges.

Once it´s gone, the battery is charged - I don´t know if it´s full 100% or the "sufficient" 80%, or if it ever will completely charge at all, when using USB.

My guess is that it merely doesn´t show, but continues to charge

My display is blank. No animation, no dots, nothing. Though, after hooking it up for a while, I disconnected and pressed play to check if it was charged even a little, and it did come to life. So, I guess the USB charging is happening, but the unit is not recognized by the computer! :wacko:

Don´t click on cancel.

I know I used the USB port on my computer at work, where I cannot install any drivers - the device has been recognized, though.

I guess windows(it´s windows, right?) has some sort of generic USB driver that will be used when no specific driver is found.

Don´t click on cancel.

I know I used the USB port on my computer at work, where I cannot install any drivers - the device has been recognized, though.

I guess windows(it´s windows, right?) has some sort of generic USB driver that will be used when no specific driver is found.

Aah, now it's recognized. I guess when the Battery came completely uncharged (upon delivery), the MD unit was not able to send the correct identifying signal back or whatever. Now that one charge cycle has happened peacefully, they seem to recognize each other like long-lost friends. :D

Thanks for your help.

The cord from your stereo system will work just fine.

Thanks! :ok:

I went out and got an connector in any case. It makes logical sense that the same cord should work with a different connector. Because Power = Voltage x Current, and considering that the static impedance of the adaptor will remain a constant, if there's a higher input voltage, then the adaptor will draw a lower current to maintain the same power rating, right? IN which case, the cord that was built for 110 V (and hence a higher current carrying capacity) will easily handle the lower current that flows from the 220 V supply. Do correct me if I have it all wrong.

It doesn't matter what cable you use to connect the AC adaptor to the outlet.

A stereo cable, a cable for a video camera, your digital camera cable, a xbox cable. It doesn't matter because all the cables are transferring 100/120V AC to the power transformer. What you need to worry about is the ammount of voltage you are putting into your unit. The USB standard is 5V 500Ma. The charger on the RH1 puts out 800Ma.

You can plug in a 5V adaptor that pumps out 20 amps and the MZ-RH1 would charge just fine as it will only use what it needs. If you up the voltage though you turn your MZ-RH1 into your offices nicest paper weight.

A think to note though is that just because the MZ-RH1 uses a mini USB plug does not mean you can use any mini usb adaptor to charge it. I don't know if the sony charger is a smart charger or if the ppc6700 sprint phone charger is a smart charger but when I use my ppc6700 usb charger, The MZ-RH1 displays "Reconnect USB" and does not charge. When I use the Sony charger on my PPC6700 it accepts it and charges just fine.

So I am not sure if the sony charger is talking to the RH1 and saying "Hey i'm a sony product, go ahead and charge" or if it's just a circuit detection routing or if the ppc6700 charger is attempting to disguise itselt as a usb host or something I dunno. But just keep that in mind if you are looking to buy an extra adaptor. Not any off the shelf USB adaptor may work. (even though they are all pinned the same according to the USB specification.

It doesn't matter what cable you use to connect the AC adaptor to the outlet.

A stereo cable, a cable for a video camera, your digital camera cable, a xbox cable. It doesn't matter because all the cables are transferring 100/120V AC to the power transformer. What you need to worry about is the ammount of voltage you are putting into your unit. The USB standard is 5V 500Ma. The charger on the RH1 puts out 800Ma.

You can plug in a 5V adaptor that pumps out 20 amps and the MZ-RH1 would charge just fine as it will only use what it needs. If you up the voltage though you turn your MZ-RH1 into your offices nicest paper weight.

A think to note though is that just because the MZ-RH1 uses a mini USB plug does not mean you can use any mini usb adaptor to charge it. I don't know if the sony charger is a smart charger or if the ppc6700 sprint phone charger is a smart charger but when I use my ppc6700 usb charger, The MZ-RH1 displays "Reconnect USB" and does not charge. When I use the Sony charger on my PPC6700 it accepts it and charges just fine.

So I am not sure if the sony charger is talking to the RH1 and saying "Hey i'm a sony product, go ahead and charge" or if it's just a circuit detection routing or if the ppc6700 charger is attempting to disguise itselt as a usb host or something I dunno. But just keep that in mind if you are looking to buy an extra adaptor. Not any off the shelf USB adaptor may work. (even though they are all pinned the same according to the USB specification.

Thanks for the info!