Hi-MD Music Transfer for Macintosh v2

Rate this topic

raintheory

I was looking for a downloadable instruction sheet for version 1 and found the following:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-doc...ts.pl?mdl=MZRH1

On that page there's a link for the manual for version 2. I downloaded it to demonstrate to myself that it was real, and started doing a search, resulting in finding the following:

http://www.css.ap.sony.com/consumer/templa...=Personal+Audio

From there I was able to download the actual program which I've installed and used. The page also summarizes the new features, the most major of which seem to be downloading files from the computer to the minidisc (WAV or MP3 on an MZ-RH1, WAV only on MZ-RH10/MZ-RH910/MZ-RH710 recorders).

I guess we won't be able to upload files from regular minidiscs in the near future ...

Peter

Edited by Peter Y

I just tested the use of this software with my MZ-RH10 and was able to drag & drop an MP3 file from our G5 to the RH10 and it plays fine. No uploads with this model though, just downloading of MP3 to Hi-MD.

RH1 does allow uploads though (Hi-LP/Hi-SP/PCM). I would assume the MZ-M** models allow uploads too, but oddly enough they aren't mentioned in the article by sony...

Edited by raintheory

I just tested the use of this software with my MZ-RH10 and was able to drag & drop an MP3 file from our G5 to the RH10 and it plays fine. No uploads with this model though, just downloading of MP3 to Hi-MD.

RH1 does allow uploads though (Hi-LP/Hi-SP/PCM). I would assume the MZ-M** models allow uploads too, but oddly enough they aren't mentioned in the article by sony...

I'll have to give this a whirl. Drag and Drop would be slick-- and why is this not on the front page of minidisc.org while a story about some fancy blanks is? ;) Not knocking the blanks, I want some too, but hey-- this actually makes Hi-MD usuable as a music player on Macs!

none of the provided links worked for me, but by using the second link Peter Y provided I got into the Sony asia pacific support site and going to downloads/personal audio showed the link to the mac software on the right... it's downloading now and I can't wait to get it working!

I wonder whether anyone has experimented with Lame gapless ripping... does it work and does the RH1 play these files gaplessly? I don't care about shifted trackmarks!

oh, my download is finished... got to go :lol:

I've zipped up the dmg file and added it into my first post.

Oh, and just to clarify, the drag & drop I mentioned was dragging an mp3 into the music transfer window. Which then copied the mp3 to the device automatically. I'm not sure if it is true drag & drop in that sense. ;)

Edited by raintheory

Thanks for your excellent work here Raintheory, we'll try and get a proper download and news article up soon.

I knew Sony were looking into making this backwards compatible with other Hi-MD units, glad to see they have actually done so. ;)

I'll have to give this a whirl. Drag and Drop would be slick-- and why is this not on the front page of minidisc.org while a story about some fancy blanks is? ;) Not knocking the blanks, I want some too, but hey-- this actually makes Hi-MD usuable as a music player on Macs!

I've the "fancy" MD media in MDCF's news queue since last week. Chris is just a little busy as of late and will likely reference the new Hi-MD Music Transfer V2 within the news section shortly. ;)

the drag-n-drop as raintheory has already corrected himself is only for the stage of selecting which MP3's are to be put on the HiMD... it is by no means real drag and drop, as the HiMD music transfer program still 'writes/inserts' them into the HiMD-file on the disc and they can not be seen as separate MP3's in data mode or anything on the disc.

another consequence of this is that MP3's added with a mac, cannot be uploaded to SS. On my SS4.0 it does try to, but then gives an error saying that the path to the folder for saving uploaded music is incorrect (which it definitely isn't as it is just to the standard 'my music' folder and this works like a charm for all other uploads)

still, this program is great news for me (and probably also for the rest of the mac users around here)

now I will have to learn to work with lame (I use the brilliant 'import with lame' script for itunes by the blacktree ppl) so I can get the best sounding MP3s that are still a bit smaller than HiSP preferably. If only I could find a way to make 'em gapless :lol:

Right, well I didn't mean "true" drag and drop (because I know how the format works) but more like the mp3 file manager program that some Sony mp3 players utilize-- instead of using a library like sonic stage, you just drag and drop in the program... not bad ;)

Rumz, I'm sure you did know what it really was... I'm not correcting you in any way, just avoiding a lot of posts going: 'you said it was d-n-d! it isn't and know I have bought into a technology that doesn't do what I really wanted so now I'm gonna whine about it here till everyone gets tired of it' :P

indeed, I do prefer this over the SS library, but real drag-n-drop would have been even better :lol:

raintheory you may become a mini nerd celebrity, i'm sure we'll put this out to the audio blogs & other forums.

K, ish, rich can you email gizmodo, dapreview, engadget etc. when we have the front article ready? sounds like the sort of thing that's been holding back mac based potential users