New Replacement for MDR-E888?

Rate this topic

sub27

Is sony going to release an upgraded version of the Sony 888 or are they going to be discarded? These headphones are really good I think. Sony should definately release these more expensive fontopia style headphones. People should push for these. I better buy a couple in case they start disappearing... what I mean is, sony shouldn't hold back making this type of headphone just because people may not buy them and there aren't enough audiophiles looking for them. There should be a more expensive higher quality fontopia type headphone for the sake of better audio quality from them. What's the point of having expensive minidisc players with HD amps in them if there aren't going to be a really good headphone for them? And the 888's are really good, quality wise. I think they standout from other headphones because they have a more 'real' sound.

Edited by sub27

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had the EX90's for a couple weeks, a major disappointment in absolute terms. If I would not have had the 888's as a comparison, the new Sony buds would have been fine.

Output is noticably softer than the erstwhile E888's and isolation is no better.

I just ordered a second set of 888SP's as I want these for storage - they still are Sony's top Fonotopia-style heapdhone, long live the king!