Hi-MD Music Transfer for Macintosh v. 2.0

Christopher

Just for kicks I tried this with my 1G MZ-NH1. It displays the tracks and folders, reporting the free space correctly. Oddly enough the "delete" function works. When I click the "import" function nothing happens. This is as advertized of course, but frustrating none the less. I'm very close to mothballing the MZ-NH1 and getting an iriver H10 20GB instead. Shame on you Sony for not considering us 1st Gen Hi-MD owners. Sniff.

again! this is so frustrating! I have NH1 and loved it! Do I need to buy 2nd Gen of Hi-MD for my powerbook? Damn Sony!

again! this is so frustrating! I have NH1 and loved it! Do I need to buy 2nd Gen of Hi-MD for my powerbook? Damn Sony!

I love my NH1 as well, but knew that it would not work on a Mca, but didn't matter since I do not own a Mac. There have been work around in the forum for compatability, one is a program called parallels, do a search and try it.

Don't knock a product for not doing what it was not meant to do

Take care,

Bob

I had the same problem. The apprication would not run or crash.

I figured out that it would only happen when I had an audio CD in the drive. Try and eject the CD and run the software again. It's one of those Sony copy protection enablers that will in the end alianate all their customers.

Wow! They even let RH10 users do something with Mac! I downloaded, installed (first the installer requires to de-install the previous Hi-MD Music Transfer program which was installed "just in case it will work with RH10").

This is what we have:

G4 with MacOS 10.4.7

MZ-RH10

The first impression is disappointing:

No help, no system requirements, not even software version indicated. The software is made with no love.

1st try Hi-MD 1Gb inserted

In good traditions of the software making IT DOESN'T EVEN START. At all. Well actually it does but immediately quits unexpectedly.

2nd try RH10 is not attached at all

Software starts and shows its laconic interface. Looks quite a bit less minimalist as in v.1 though.

When RH10 is attached the program doesn't notice that. I found no way to say to the program that RH10 is attached and have 1G Hi-MD in it. No LUCK. Further efforts to re-open/re-start are not fruitful.

3d try 80min MD inserted

See 1st try.

4th try Blank Hi-MD 1G inserted

Same luck

5th try RH10 attached, no disk is mounted

No luck

Conclusion

Let's wait for version 2.9 which will probably start at least.

• 3 weeks later...

Intresting.......

I've got a couple of Mac questions that I hope you can help me with.

1. I downloaded the Hi-MD Music Transfer software and installed it. I hooked my trusty NHF 800 and was surprised that it found it and pulled up the tracks! I could move, delete and rename tracks, but can I create any GROUPS there?

2. I am about to take the plunge and get a MZ RH-1 as I have finally expunged Windows from my home! Will the software be able to find and use my iTunes library to feed the player?

Thanks!

I scanned the forums for theses questions, and couldn't find the answers. Everything else that I could possibly want to know about recording, and importing has been addressed!

My iPod 5G 30GB was stolen from my dest at work, hence my quest to upgrade now!

Also I'm running OSX 10.4.7 1 GB RAM, on a 700Mhz G4

Thanks again!!

2. well, the iTunes library is actually just a simple folder structure and you can just drag the folders in the 'music transfer' screen and they will download to the HiMD... provided you keep your music in MP3-format and you have an MP3-capable HiMH (the RH1 is one of course)

I haven't tried to import playlists yet

2. well, the iTunes library is actually just a simple folder structure and you can just drag the folders in the 'music transfer' screen and they will download to the HiMD... provided you keep your music in MP3-format and you have an MP3-capable HiMH (the RH1 is one of course)

I haven't tried to import playlists yet

Indeed......

While having a full interface like iTunes or (shutter!) Sonic Stage would be nice, I guess dragging & dropping won't be so bad! I'll just have to make sure that my Podcasts are in .mp3 format now!

I could add shortcutts to my folders on the desktop and TRY to make it as elegant as possible!

Does anyone know a place in Houston, Texas (U.S.A.) where I could get one locally? If not, then it's off to my buddies at Minidisco!!

One more question, will the transfer software work with Sony's .mp3 players too? They have some SWEET ones out now!!

What a coincidence! Minidisco (my personal fav. MD spot on the .net!) is offering an additional savings on an RH-1. Good thing payday is on the 8th! There goes my money!

Between www.headfi.com and now this, I'm gona be so happy/broke!

Edited by MadDuck

Hi everybody,

sorry if this question sounds stupid but as much as i understood, no one really *tried* out sonicstage on parallels on a intel-based mac.

so, if i want to get old analog recordings onto my mac, this would be the only way until now, right?

anyone did sucessfully just that?

because - in that case MD would be alive for me, otherwise dead. Used MDs for about 10years and still like them more than HD-Players, iPods and whatever. But Lack of Mac-compatibility and all that kept annoying me...

Hi everybody,

sorry if this question sounds stupid but as much as i understood, no one really *tried* out sonicstage on parallels on a intel-based mac.

so, if i want to get old analog recordings onto my mac, this would be the only way until now, right?

anyone did sucessfully just that?

because - in that case MD would be alive for me, otherwise dead. Used MDs for about 10years and still like them more than HD-Players, iPods and whatever. But Lack of Mac-compatibility and all that kept annoying me...

From what I've seen & read about it, parrells is a crap shoot, the odds are in your favor, but still.....

Your best bet is boot camp WITH a FAT32 partition, so it can read your .MP3 files back and forth between OSes

Hi there

I'd almost given up on minidisc and then I heard about the new MZ-RH1. Great, just what I need, except that we've just converted to Macintosh. OK, I understand that I can't upload my legacy discs, but can I make real time digital transfers of them to the MZ-RH1 using a Pioneer recorder and then upload them. Apologies if this is a dumb question, but it would solve the problem of what to do with a stack of live recordings. Thanks.

Howdy,

What does the often talked about 'mac-compatibility' really mean here ? I mean I have the RH-910 and it will not allow me to copy audio files from it to a Mac. Is this because the mac-compatible players convert the files from atrac to wav on the player before copying and mine does not ? As I understand it there is no atrac conversion software for the mac. If there were I don't think this would be a problem.

Anyway the software let's me edit the track/folder names and lets delete stuff from the disk and allows copying of mp3 to the disk. This on a iMac G5.

Regards,

Jari

Howdy,

What does the often talked about 'mac-compatibility' really mean here ? I mean I have the RH-910 and it will not allow me to copy audio files from it to a Mac. Is this because the mac-compatible players convert the files from atrac to wav on the player before copying and mine does not ? As I understand it there is no atrac conversion software for the mac. If there were I don't think this would be a problem.

Anyway the software let's me edit the track/folder names and lets delete stuff from the disk and allows copying of mp3 to the disk. This on a iMac G5.

Regards,

Jari

Jari-

You will find better explanations elsewhere on this forum, but here's a summerization:

NetMD will not work with a Macintosh

Hi-MD will be recognized by a Mac and can be used as data storage, heck I've even booted my OS9 Mac WITH my Hi-MD player, took forever, but it worked!!

The SonicStage software is for windows only, no exceptions. When an .mp3 is sent to a newer (.mp3 capable) Hi-MD player it is (for some reason) put in a DRM wrapper. Until recently, you had to be running Windows to do that.

Enter Hi-MD Music Transfer. It allows you to drag and drop .mp3 files from you Macintosh to a .mp3 enabled Hi-MD player. It wraps the .mp3 files in the DRM wrapper and shoots them across your USB (1.1 or 2.0) conection to the Hi-MD player.

ATRAC, as of now, is still officially unsupported on anything other than Windows.

Hope this helps, and feel free to ammend anything I may of gotten wrong!

I will be getting a MZ-RH1 at the end of the week, and I can't wait to start draging and dropping things onto it!!

Edited by MadDuck

Well---

I am ready!

Today I ordered my MZ-RH1 from Minidisco.com.

I've setup shortcuts on my desktop for my relavent iTuns folders for Podcasts, Limewire, top 25 played, etc...

It will make finding and draging music into Hi-MD Music Transfer a bit easier.

Once it's in, I ponied up for UPS 3 day shipping, I'll keep my experiences posted on how well it works, etc..

I can hardly wait!!

Really!

• 2 weeks later...

I, too, need help!!! I have an MZ-NHF800 - it records beautifully.....nice tool for workshops and classes. I use it with a Mackie board.

However, I am forced to using the headphone jack directly into my G4 via miniplug and recording with Soundtrack. I cannot get Hi-MD Transfer program to recognize my recorder. I have tried several of the sites this forum has generously suggested but to no avail.

What I need is a simple way to grab my GROUPS and place them on my Mac desktop so I can use the files in Final Cut Pro....

Can anyone help me??

jgc

I, too, need help!!! I have an MZ-NHF800 - it records beautifully.....nice tool for workshops and classes. I use it with a Mackie board.

However, I am forced to using the headphone jack directly into my G4 via miniplug and recording with Soundtrack. I cannot get Hi-MD Transfer program to recognize my recorder. I have tried several of the sites this forum has generously suggested but to no avail.

What I need is a simple way to grab my GROUPS and place them on my Mac desktop so I can use the files in Final Cut Pro....

Can anyone help me??

jgc

easiest way is any of the M series or and RH1.

None of the other units have Mac support.

The other alternative is a windoze emulator such as parallels and installing sonicstage on the windoze portion.

Bob

• 3 months later...

Hi, I've been browseing the forum in search of a clear answer to my question, but I got more confusion and frustration.

I have a Sony HiMD MZ 100 and I used it to record interwiev and various sounds, I'm a photojournalist. When I bought it I was quite sure I could use with my Apple laptop to download the interwievs. I tryed with the included software "Hi MD WAV Importer ver 1.0" I have also used new version of HiMD Music transfer v2,0 but all the track appeared grey and I could not downloaded. The same happend with the new software Hi MD Music Transfer. Please can you help me to understand if it work and eventualy how?

many tanks.

roberto

I'm sorry if these are some really stupid questions but i've been reading the forum and i can't seem to understand how a MD like MZ-RH1 and a Mac works together:

Would really appreciate some answers to these questions:

- First of all, what kind of media is created when you record something (you know like with a microphone) using the minidisc? Is it Wav? Can you also record something that becomes mp3-files in different bit-rates?

- Can i transfer recordings from the minidisc to the Mac without any problems or do the recordings first have to be converted in some way in the computer? (i guess this question connects with my first question)

- Can i transfer mp3-files from the computer on to the MD just by "drag and drop" in the music transfer program?

- If yes, can i then transfer those mp3-files from the MD on to the Mac without any problems? "Drag and drop" the other way?

Big thanks in advance!

- First of all, what kind of media is created when you record something (you know like with a microphone) using the minidisc? Is it Wav? Can you also record something that becomes mp3-files in different bit-rates?
This depends on the recording format that you choose on the recorder. If you choose PCM, it records as WAV quality. If you choose Hi-SP or Hi-LP it records in compressed Atrac3+. Regardless of the format chosen however, all recordings uploaded to Mac are converted to WAV. Quality-wise, your best bet would be to record in PCM. Also, considering that all uploads are converted to WAV anyway, a low bitrate Hi-LP recording will use just as much space in the end as a high-quality PCM recording.

As for the other part of the question, Hi-MD/MiniDisc uses Atrac3+ (similar in some ways to Mp3). With Mac these are all uploaded and converted to WAV, as stated before. On the unit Hi-LP is 64kbps, Hi-SP is 256kbps, and PCM is uncompressed (CD Quality).

- Can i transfer recordings from the minidisc to the Mac without any problems or do the recordings first have to be converted in some way in the computer? (i guess this question connects with my first question)
The software automatically converts PCM/Atrac3+ to WAV automatically while uploading.

- Can i transfer mp3-files from the computer on to the MD just by "drag and drop" in the music transfer program?
Yes.

- If yes, can i then transfer those mp3-files from the MD on to the Mac without any problems? "Drag and drop" the other way?
I don't believe so.

This depends on the recording format that you choose on the recorder. If you choose PCM, it records as WAV quality. If you choose Hi-SP or Hi-LP it records in compressed Atrac3+. Regardless of the format chosen however, all recordings uploaded to Mac are converted to WAV. Quality-wise, your best bet would be to record in PCM. Also, considering that all uploads are converted to WAV anyway, a low bitrate Hi-LP recording will use just as much space in the end as a high-quality PCM recording.

As for the other part of the question, Hi-MD/MiniDisc uses Atrac3+ (similar in some ways to Mp3). With Mac these are all uploaded and converted to WAV, as stated before. On the unit Hi-LP is 64kbps, Hi-SP is 256kbps, and PCM is uncompressed (CD Quality).

The software automatically converts PCM/Atrac3+ to WAV automatically while uploading.

Yes.

I don't believe so.

Big thanks for that!

Too bad you can't upload files from the MD on to the Mac. So in other words you can't even transfer those mp3-files that is on the MD if they are imported as wav-files on to the computer (you know like it works when you upload your own pcm recordings)? So the minidisc "knows" that some of the files on the disc are mp3-files and therefore cant't be transfered on to the computer, and that some of the files are PCM recordings and therefore can be uploaded to the computer?

That's a shame. I guess it has something to do with all those legal copyright things? Just the same as iPods. Shouldn't it be a way to fix this? (i know theres some programs to be used it you wanna import mp3-files from a iPod to a computer)

Trying this now, 1 sec...

EDIT: Tried uploading 2 mp3 files (From RH1). One was transferred via SonicStage from PC, and the other was transferred using the Mac software. Neither one would upload to the Mac. Sorry. :)

Okey, thanks for the help. Too bad you can't upload to a mac, but you can if i understand things right, upload to a PC using SonicStage?

You can upload your own recordings just fine on a Mac (using the mac-compatible models). Just not Mp3 files.

From what I remember while testing you can transfer Mp3 files (as well as your own recordings) back and forth to various computers using the latest SonicStage with no problems.

I didnt test whether or not you can upload an mp3 transferred to Hi-MD via Mac Software onto a PC using SonicStage though. Perhaps soon...