MZ-DH10P - best HIMD for usability as a Player?

Rate this topic

Sparky191

I love the look of the RH1 and some of the features like USB2, USB charging. But the ergonomics of the player aspects put me off. When I think about the features in terms of ergonomics, without a remote that I like. I realise that the MZ-DH10P comes very close.

Scroll wheel

Seperate menu button (no long hold)

Seperate display button (ignoring slideshow)

ause/play combined button

seperate group +/- buttons

Descent build. Not plasticiky ( I assume)

Any thoughts?

I was wondering of those that have them and a recorder unit aswell. Do you find you use the MZ-DH10P as a player more often, about the same or less? How is recharging on this unit?

Edited by Sparky191

The DH10P cannot record via mic in/line in, so therefore, yes it is made to function as a player/usb downloader and camera only. I have never owned the unit, but it looks very attractive, something I might buy into one day. It has a large color display, jog dial, HD digital amp, and a camera to boot. I love my RH10 for playback (I don't record anything) because of the scroll wheel, large display, ease navigation, etc. The DH10P pretty much does everything the RH10 does + HD digital amp and camera (and color instead of oled).

If you want a fantastic player with a nice large display and easy navigation the DH10P and RH10 are both fantastic choices, good luck.

does anyone know if the eh70 player have the hd amp?

The Hi-MD players (EH930, EH50, EH70) have the HD digital amp. Even some of the MDLP, non-Hi-MD players (E630, E720 and E730) have it, as does the NH3D.

My take on DH10P vs RH1:

-DH10P is much bulkier. In turn, you get a color screen capable of showing album arts, Japanese AND Chinese, and of course a 1.3MP camera. In contrast, the RH1's OLED screen cannot even display track titles, but it is much slimmer.

-DH10P comes with a cradle.

-The camera feature of the DH10P is just a bonus. Start-up time and writing time to the MD/HiMD media is slow, so don't expect it to be a quick point and shoot as it takes quite a while for the unit to even start taking pictures.

-Both have HD-amp. RH1 has "proper" MP3 playback.

-RH1 has all the advantage being a recorder, including capability to upload legacy MD recordings. DH10P is downloader only.

-Today, you can probably find the DH10P at a cheaper price than the RH1.

So overall, the DH10P is a more interesting unit if you're not into live recording, but the RH1's form factor is so nice and slim that it is a good portable unit too.

The Hi-MD players (EH930, EH50, EH70) have the HD digital amp. Even some of the MDLP, non-Hi-MD players (E630, E720 and E730) have it, as does the NH3D.

One of my favorite MD units of all time --the tiny N10 Net MD unit --had one even back then (it certainly had support for both DSP-TYPE R and DSP-TYPE S which enhances playback quality of legacy recording modes).

I still use this unit from time to time for legacy / Net MD stuff. The only disadvantage was the "built in " batterry but there is an external battery adapter and it's quite easy to change the built in battery if you have to --haven't needed it yet.

My biggest disappointment was the RH10 apart from the nice screen --the case really cheap and can crack easily and you have to be really careful if you open the battery door as the hinges can EASILY break. The quality of play back also isn't as good as the RH1 (perfect), NH1 (also pretty fautless) and for legacy stuff the N10 is also pretty good --also all these models have a LINE OUT as well.

I've relegated the RH10 to "rarely use" catagory. -- In fact grandson might get a little "prezzie".

The RH10 could have offered a lot but it was let down by rather poor (el cheapo construction) and lack of a proper line out. --As other people have pointed out for pure playback there are a lot of other options out there now.

My "Working equipment" -- used frequently both for work and recreational purposes is now RH1, NH1 and N10.

My old NHF 800 is also destined for some poor unsuspecting soul as well.

The old R90 (SP only) had that nice "Retro" look -- It still works but didn't have a digital amp. Interestingly it uses the same battery as the RH10. This was also a small unit built like a battleship. It had a passable display so you didn't need to use a remote (mind you with a max of 80 mins on a disc navigation isn't normally a problem).

Cheers

-K

Edited by 1kyle

One of my favorite MD units of all time --the tiny N10 Net MD unit --had one even back then (it certainly had support for both DSP-TYPE R and DSP-TYPE S which enhances playback quality of legacy recording modes).

The N10 has the HD digital amp?

I note, no ones mentioning the ergonomics of the controls...

RH1: Tiny volume buttons. jog lever is OK though. Remote is probably a must.

DH10P: Play/FF/REW is handled by the nipple button. IMO, it's annoying. Volume is a seperate button on the side. Browsing using the wheel is excellent though. I just wish sony had the option for the wheel to control volume.

RH10: Probably the most well-balanced. It has a scroller, not as good as a wheel like the DH10P's, but still makes it easy to browse content. All controls are located close to each other, making it more intuitive. However, they can be small for some people.

The N10 has the HD digital amp?

Not sure --but it certainly has DSP-TYPE R and DSP-TYPE S which stand for "Digital Signal Processor" . This defintely enhances recording and play back of SP/LP2/LP4.

I'm not sure if it's a "True digital amp" in the sense of the RH1 etc.

Cerainly if you plug an N10 into a decent sound system and play back a decently recorded SP disc the sound is virtually indistinguishable from the original CD. More than good enough for "On the move".

I'd love an "Identical N10" which would be "HD capable".

I originally thought the RH10 would have been the player par-excellence --but in practice it turned out to be a bit of a dog.

Stick with NH1 or RH1 and you won't go wrong --and if you can find an N10 for legacy stuff it's perfect.

As for it sounding like mud -- that's a load of Bovine Scatology. Nearly ALL equipment made in the last 10 or so years will give passable sounds.

Problems usually result from bad recording techniques, over compressing the source, bad source, setting the recording level too high, incorrect "normalisation", bad mikes etc etc.

Take a decently recorded MD (made via optical out from a Denon CD deck into a JB980 deck MD System) and place it into the N10. Then run the N10 into a decent sound system and you will get very good sound indeed from it.

Cheers

-K

Edited by 1kyle

Not sure

So, basically, no - lol. I was just wondering because you said that the N10 had one ("One of my favorite MD units of all time --the tiny N10 Net MD unit -- had one even back then"), but I don't remember any mention of HD digital amp when that unit is discussed. Considering the MDCF Equipment Browser has been found to have some mistakes, I just wanted to make sure.

I recently gave a DH10P as a gift. As for the build, it is very sturdy and feels more like aluminum and not the plastic, thin feeling of magnesium. My Hi-MD units don't have scroll wheels so I found it hard to navigate the DH10P, but only because I wasn't used to it. The tiny center play button is a little tricky though and (for me) harder to manipulate than the NH3D's, which is on the side; again, maybe because I'm unfamiliar with that placement. Actually, it has a similar layout to the NH3D (play/pause/FF/FR on the same button) that I do like for playback - my finger doesn't have to move around as much. Pretty unique that it loads MDs from its bottom instead of the top or side.

IMO DH10P can only be a collector's Edition ..

Well, maybe, actually The Blue Raja has three units and I am going to get my second one.. It is my favourite player of all times. It is definitely an excellent mixture of images and sound and the fact that it has a camera and a screen makes all the difference.. I agree with the fact that it battery time gets reduced when using the camera too much; however, the OLED display allows you to search albums by cover art and, if you like having small parties and casual dinners like me, you can take pics of your guests and after that make a slide show of everybody while the music plays on the DH10P connected to your home stereo.. nice, isn't it?

as a PLAYER, it is the top of the class.

regards to you all.

• 2 weeks later...