Sony HI-MD decks?

Rate this topic

Atrac3

Hi.

I like a lot this forum since there are so many MD fans here, yet!!!

Brief presentation of myself (skip it if you want):

I'm Italian and I live in Italy = few MD users... ;-((

In 1998 (or in 1999) I did search a valid replacement for my portable (mono!!) tape recorder.

I did tray a Sony MZ-R30 and... "it was love" but, since in the shop there was also a MDS-S38 deck,

I did buy both them... ;-))

Both work fine today yet...

Then, in 2004 I did buy a Sony MZ-NH900 with the new powerful HI-MD feature.

Since here in Italy few HiFi shops have MD recorders/players available yet, I did order a new sony MZ-RH1 in USA and I'm waiting it...

So the question: I remember that beautiful Sony catalogues full of MD decks (like the best MD decks in the ES series), but then I have not seen them since the last more recent italian version of the Sony catalogues do not report any info about MD replaced by Super Audio CD decks or by MP3 portable units (!!!!). So, are there MD decks compatible with Hi-MD format?

I would like to see two or three Sony Hi-MD decks available, although many peoples say that MZ-RH1 will be the last MD unit that Sony will made... ;-((

I've bought an Onkyo MD-133 and MD-105FX for 450 euros and 350 euros (including shipping, tension inverter (240V/100V), and customs fees), using pricejapan.com

( i live in France ).

Edited by garcou

Now I wonder why nobody noticed that the ONKYO decks ARE NOT Hi-MD compliant, but are only decks with some Hi-MD compatibility. Don't forget that the Hi-MD technology includes the capability to copy data, which ONKYO decks are not capable of.

Edited by Avrin

For data, portable units do the job very well.

A deck is the best for audiophile listenning. In this situation, data is not very important, I think.

WOWZERS

I had NO IDEA there was a Hi-MD Deck made by ONKYO. I just assumed that since SONY wasn't making home decks that none were in existence.

*drools*

Holy crap! Still can't believe this....

I thought SHARP only had the additional license and thats why they made those boomboxes with Hi-MD compatibility..

does anyone know how the sound is of one these ONKYO units? digi outs? does it play all formats of the ATRAC3+ codec? (i.e. 192, 256, 352)

curious....

WOWZERS

does anyone know how the sound is of one these ONKYO units? digi outs? does it play all formats of the ATRAC3+ codec? (i.e. 192, 256, 352)

curious....

Guess you better ask Garcou to be sure, but if they are anything like the bookshelf the sq will be superb. And they should playback all Hi-MD rates but will only record on the unit in 64/256/PCM and Mono/SP/LP2/LP4 for legacy formatted discs.

Actually the sound is extremely good, play and record exactely the codec/bitrates richyhu said. (no Mp3)

Sharp HiMd boomboxes??? Are you sure??

Edited by garcou

That's what I thought... .

I guess it must be my bad memory. I could have sworn I heard about a japanese SHARP Hi-MD mini-bookshelf system...maybe it was an ONKYO...my bad....

I also take it the ONKYO untis are made specificly for for the bookshelf systems as the dimesions are about half that of a regular deck, correct?

Now I wonder why nobody noticed that the ONKYO decks ARE NOT Hi-MD compliant, but are only decks with some Hi-MD compatibility. Don't forget that the Hi-MD technology includes the capability to copy data, which ONKYO decks are not capable of.

Also, any prospective purchasers should be aware that the Onkyo decks don't have a timer facility. I was thinking of buying one myself, but as I do a lot of timed recordings from the radio I decided I could not do without this feature.

Thanks to all... ;-))

I did not know Onkyo produce HI-MD decks.

It sounds very interesting!!!!

For Gracou:

How many Sony MD (ES series) do you have????

Congratulations: they are all very powerful beast :-))

Two: MDS- JA 3ES (atrac SP 3.5) very good sounding with 2 microphone (L/R) input!

MDS-JA20ES (atracSP 4.5 typeR) great great sound

Listenning legacy md (like prerecorded) Onkyo doesn't totally reach JA20ES quality, but is quite close and far better than JB980 that I have eared.

Listenning HIMD (PCM or hisp) Onkyo sounds better

The ideal deck : Himd version of the 20 ES with microphones input! (and i will sell all the 3!)

Two or Three?? (in your photo there is another unit yet...).

However, congratulations since I always have heard good opinions about ES serie.

If they was Hi-MD compatible then I did want to buy one to put near my Sony A4 DAT...

Two or Three?? (in your photo there is another unit yet...).

However, congratulations since I always have heard good opinions about ES serie.

If they was Hi-MD compatible then I did want to buy one to put near my Sony A4 DAT...

The third is audio video amplfier (Sony ES too! :D )

Its all lack of ambition by Sony. It would not be hard to make a deck that would take 1GB discs, and judging by demand, if they made just 2 decks as a trial (a pro and a semi-pro/budget) they would make a large profit for little expense.

Hell, they still make SACD players - and who uses those??

Edited by MDGB2

In the south of Italy (under Rome...).

I did take a look to oricejapan.com but it seems that 'Onkyo' is not present in its catalogue... ;-((

It is a post I made for MDFR (french Md forum) about how to order with pricejapan.

When I have time , I will edit for Englih version (but I think french is easy for an italian! ;) )

Contrairement à ce que disent les 2 post prédédents les platines onkyo sont toujours bien en vente au Japon!!!

En fait Pricejapan.com ne joue que le role d'intermédiaire (il prennent 5%) entre les magasins japonais et le consommateur étranger.

Il y a plusieurs étapes:

1) Tu recherches grace au lien fourni sur leur site, le meilleur prix pour le produit (une sorte de Kelkoo japonais: attention taper uniquement la référence du modèle sans la marque; ex MD-105FX ; ne t'inquiète pas des caractères japonais sur le site; clique sur lien vers le marchand le moins cher et une fois sur la page, copie l'adresse se trouvant dans la barre d'adresse.

2) si tu ne commandes qu'un seul produit tu peux remplir le formulaire en ligne sur le site de pricejapan, mais comme tu va avoir besoin d'un transfo, il faut leur envoyer un e-mail sur le même modèle. Voici le mail que j'ai envoyé à info@pricejapan.com il y a un mois lors de ma dernière commande (tansfo+md-105FX):

I want to buy these two items: ONKYO MD DECK + TRAVEL INVERTER (If possible ship the 2 items in one package) :

Sender: truc@machin.com (ton adresse e-mail)

Maker: KASHIMURA

Model No: TI-352

Name: XXXXXX jean-yves (ton NOM-prénom)

City: FRANCE

Site Address: http://www.rakuten.co.jp/e-first/239956/19.../199576/#213655 (l'adresse de la page internet du produit)

E-mail: truc@machin.com

How to pay: Credit card via paypal

+

Sender: truc@machin.com

Maker: ONKYO

Model No: MD-105FX

Name: XXXXXX jean-yves

Site Address: http://www.rakuten.co.jp/masanios/596973/6.../617427/#658651

E-mail: truc@machin.com

3) ils te répondent par mail en te précisant le prix total incluant le port (mais sans les éventuel frais de douane à régler lors de la réception). Voici ce que j'ai reçu :

Thanks for inquiry.

price of Onkyo MD-105FX; 28,140 Yen at http://www.rakuten.co.jp/masanios/596973/6.../617427/#658651

TRAVEL INVERTER price; 2550 Yen

(28140 Yen + 2550 Yen + 4.2 kg EMS cost 8600 Yen + our minum fee 4000 yen) x shipping insurance 1.007 x 1.033 (paypal credit card fee)

= 45,031 Yen

If you want it, please send 45,031 Yen to our paypal account, info@pricejapan.com

(it must be Yen-noted money)

Thanks again.

Kaneda

www.pricejapan.com

Your phone No. is required for shipping, as well as shipping address.

After wire, as a confirmation, please send your shipping address and phone No. by ordinary email.

(state name required.. Without state name, shipment will be delayed.)

4) tu payes la somme en euros ou yens par paypal

5) lorsque tu reçois le mail-accusé de réception de paypal, tu renvoies ton adresse exacte et détaillée à mail@pricejapan.com sous la forme (copié du formulaire en ligne) :

Maker ONKYO Model No. MD-105FX

Maker KASHIMURA Model No. TI-352

Payment Amount 45031 JPY

How to pay paypal with credit card

First Name Jean-Yves

Last Name XXXXXXXXX

ZIP xxxxx

Address 10 rue des xxxxx, XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Country FRANCE

Phone Number xxxxxxxxxx

Mobile Phone xxxxxxxxxxx

Email Address truc@machin.com

6) tu reçois un mail de pricejapan qui te confirme le paiement et l'envoie du colis par chronopost ou équivalent.

7) tu paies les frais de douane à chronopost à la reception (50€)

le modèle MD- 133 est plus haut de gamme. Je trouve qu'il sonne un peu plus fin et nuancé. Voici un lien (à vérifier avec le « kelkoo » japonais qu'il n'y a pas moins cher) :

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/audio/md133

Bonne commande !

Version anglaise / English version:

Contrary to what has been said elsewhere the Onkyo decks are still on sale in Japan.

In effect Pricejapan.com simply plays the role of intermediary (they take 5%) between Japanese retailers and the foreign consumer.

There are several stages:

1) You look up – thanks to the links on their site – the best price for the product (using either rakuten.co.jp or kakaku.com – a kind of Japanese Kelkoo). Be careful to type only the model number without the manufacturer name; eg. MD-105FX; don't worry about the Japanese characters on the site; click on the link to the cheapest seller and once on the page copy the address from the address bar of your browser. (If using kakaku you can also copy the link of the summary page listing all the sellers).

2) If you are only ordering one product you can fill in the online form on the pricejapan site, but as you will also need a transformer, you must send them a mail in the same format. Here is the mail I sent to info@pricejapan.com a month ago for my last order (transformer + md-105fx) :

I want to buy these two items: ONKYO MD DECK + TRAVEL INVERTER (If possible ship the 2 items in one package) :

Sender: thingy@whatever.com (your e-mail address)

Maker: KASHIMURA

Model No: TI-352

Name: XXXXXX jean-yves (your surname-firstname)

Site Address: http://www.rakuten.co.jp/e-first/239956/19.../199576/#213655 (address of the product page you found)

E-mail: thingy@whatever.com

+

Sender: thingy@whatever.com

Maker: ONKYO

Model No: MD-105FX

Name: XXXXXX jean-yves

Site Address: http://www.rakuten.co.jp/masanios/596973/6.../617427/#658651

E-mail: thingy@whatever.com

3) They will respond by email specifying the total price including shipping (but minus any possible customs fees payable on delivery) Here is what I recevied :

Thanks for inquiry.

price of Onkyo MD-105FX; 28,140 Yen at http://www.rakuten.co.jp/masanios/596973/6.../617427/#658651

TRAVEL INVERTER price; 2550 Yen

(28140 Yen + 2550 Yen + 4.2 kg EMS cost 8600 Yen + our minum fee 4000 yen) x shipping insurance 1.007 x 1.033 (paypal credit card fee)

= 45,031 Yen

If you want it, please send 45,031 Yen to our paypal account, info@pricejapan.com

(it must be Yen-noted money)

Thanks again.

Kaneda

www.pricejapan.com

Your phone No. is required for shipping, as well as shipping address.

After wire, as a confirmation, please send your shipping address and phone No. by ordinary email.

(state name required.. Without state name, shipment will be delayed.)

4) You pay the total amount in Yen or Euro via Paypal (or in USD / Yen if sending Paypal cash – see their site for full payment options)

5) Once you receive the payment confirmation mail from Paypal you send your exact shipping address and phone number to mail@pricejapan.com using the following layout : (copied from the online form) :

Maker ONKYO Model No. MD-105FX

Maker KASHIMURA Model No. TI-352

Payment Amount 45031 JPY (enter amount you paid)

How to pay paypal with credit card (or other method used)

First Name Jean-Yves

Last Name XXXXXXXXX

ZIP xxxxx

Address 10 rue des xxxxx, XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Country FRANCE

Phone Number xxxxxxxxxx

Mobile Phone xxxxxxxxxxx

Email Address thingy@whatever.com

6) You receive an email from pricejapan confirming the payment sent and the despatch of the package via chronopost or equivalent (EMS / DHL)

7) You pay the customs taxes to the courier on delivery.

The MD-133 model is the top of the range. I find it sounds slightly more refined and detailed. Here is a link (please check with the Japanese sites that there is not one available for less):

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/audio/md133

Happy ordering !

Sorry, I didn't know Kakaku exists! Should I better use it?

Shame on me, my englih is so bad! And I don't speak one word of dutch! :blush:

Congratulation for you speaking french, you can translate if you have time! :clapping:

Sorry, I didn't know Kakaku exists! Should I better use it?

Shame on me, my englih is so bad! And I don't speak one word of dutch! :blush:

Congratulation for you speaking french, you can translate if you have time! :clapping:

I don't know :lol: - I used Kakaku in the past with PriceJapan, but having said that I couldn't find either of the Onkyo decks on there. My dutch is pretty non-existent (I only live there). If I have some time later tonight or tomorrow I will translate your post. ;)

PS: Your english is excellent it is just that it is always more difficult to translate into a foreign language (as opposed to reading something in another language and translating it into your mother tongue).

Thanks for your nice tip, Garcou :-)

Excuse me, if I did understand well: a Onkyo deck should cost 45,031.00 Japan Yen (about 308 EURos) + 50 EURos for import duty tax ??

And do you know if the AC power converter is necessary for Italy, too??

Thanks again :-)

Not sure what the current prices are exactly - but to answer your other question - yes you will definitely need the power convertor in Italy too. The decks only accept 100V input - Italy like most of the rest of Europe has 220~230V. Hope that helps.