Hi-MD > 1GB ?

Rate this topic

lefty

Be thankful for what you have.

It is possible to use the current recording technology to record up to 5 Gb onto an MD-sized magneto-optical disc. But this will never happen...

Now we have the HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray format war.

Edited by Avrin

It is possible to use the current recording technology to record up to 5 Gb onto an MD-sized magneto-optical disc. But this will never happen...

Hey, when you say "current recording technology" do you mean that any new discs up to 5GB would be compatible with existing HI-MD equipment? Thanks,

Don't count on it. First you would need new discs that no one happens to be manufacturing. Then the firmware in existing units would have to handle more than 1GB worth of files--which seems very unlikely to me.

No other manufacturer besides Sony has even tried making a 1GB disc, and Sony is now busy with other, higher-capacity formats for devices with more potential popularity than minidisc.

If you want something with better odds, buy a lottery ticket.

Don't count on it. First you would need new discs that no one happens to be manufacturing. Then the firmware in existing units would have to handle more than 1GB worth of files--which seems very unlikely to me.

No other manufacturer besides Sony has even tried making a 1GB disc, and Sony is now busy with other, higher-capacity formats for devices with more potential popularity than minidisc.

If you want something with better odds, buy a lottery ticket.

Its good to see MD fans with such optimism :rolleyes: . I also agree though, we're currently very lucky that Sony even decided to make the RH1 let alone keep the MD format going for so long considering it's rather fledgeling popularity among the general consumer.

i would love it if those md engineers at sony all pull out and start their own company producing md devices. that would be sweet.

One problem with that....... All copyrights, trademarks and patents of the technology are owned under Sony.

Sony would have to let the engineers continue MD under a different name or part of the company.

Very unlikely but optimism is always good :). Although, they could relive the format with the recent codec released for non-DRM files and make oooober MD players. Who knows?