My MZ-RH1 is here!

Rate this topic

Atrac3

This morning I've received my RH1 (from UPS).

I've bought it on eBay (from vendor in USA) at good price ( 297 USD). But then I have had to pay UPS international insured shipping so the price was: 359 USD.

Unluckily, Italian customers added tax for import duty of 86 EUR (= 109.539 USD !!!!!). So the final price (including some little extras for the Paypal money conversion USD - EUR) is 376 EUR (= USD 479).

However, here in Italy is impossible to find one available (and Sony Italy does not include it on its official Web site...).

First impression: really cool!!!!!!

The Sony box is little...

I like a lot the black colour of the unit (luckily it is opaque otherwise it was to clean every minute...).

I've inserted the battery and I have connected that strange combination of cables (why USB charge? Maybe I will appreciate this system more later...) to see its fantastic display!!!

There is not present a digital/optical cable like that included with my previous MZ-NH900... someone can confirm that this cable is not present like standard accesory?

Then, since I'm a Mac user it's really nice to see a software for Macintosh included in the Sony package (Hi-MD Music Transfer 1.0... :-))

I know the Mac application is not powerful like SonicStage for Windows, however I think that, after so many years, this is a good start for Mac user (I have already downloaded the version 2.0 and I hope to see soon a more powerful version 3...).

The remote controller is similar to that included with the MN-NH900 but it is in black too!!! :-))

I've found a blank Sony Hi-MD 1GB in the box.

After 3 hours of charging I will try it... my Sony ECM-719 mic is waiting... :-)))

Mine came supplied with a optical cord (I guess :unsure: )but with no hi-md blank :D . Wonderful machine indeed. Excellent sound and construction. Nothing to do with i-pods and so on. Class and elegance far above from them B). Transfers are quite fast at 256 kbs and it's amazing that a battery of three hundred something power can last for so long :blink:

Nevertheless, I guess in the grey version the cleaning is easier and it keeps clean longer. Black is the worst color for dirt.

Congratulations and welcome to the RH-1 owner's club :ok: .

Had mine for a few days now (thanks, Sefu, for the usual good service and highly competitive pricing). I've used it as backup to a laptop / Motu Traveler multitrack recording via optical in with Hi-SP, and tonight for an analogue line in recording as the master recorder in PCM mode, fed from a rather costly pair of Sennheiser MKH series mics and a matching Sennheiser preamp. Backup was to an NH-900. The concert tonight was a classical recital for two cellos. Sound seemed to be impeccable, but what I really love is the operational simplicity and clear display - at last, a really usable Hi-MD recorder for serious location recording. No need at all for the remote in this context. The buttons on the recorder are much less fiddly.

Transfer to the PC remains pretty slow - 27 minutes for about 70 minutes of audio. But if time is not of the essence at transfer stage, that's no big deal really. Sonic Stage 3.4 lovingly preserved an OMA version of the data plus a WAV version, so you need to have plenty of disk space.... I wish it would just transfer it to wave and leave it at that.

This audio and functional quality in such a miniscule package really is pretty stunning. Well done Sony - at last.

I also did record a live classical concerto (Mozart's Requiem) with my MZ-NH900 + ECM-719 little mic and the result was amazing (I knowthat it is not professional, there is the ATRAC compression, the mic is not enough powerful or Pro ecc...) but after a realtime transfer (Sony has released Mac application only now...) through a Berhinger mid-level quality mixer to my Mac (via a Behringer FCA-202 audio interface) and then on a CD the result was really great!!!

And I would like to put in evidence that I did use the Hi-SP setting and not the more "clean" LinearPCM mode... ;-)