MZ-RH910 Vs. MZ-RH1

Rate this topic

allend

Hi everyone, Semi-newbie here.

I've been super happy with my old sharp MD-MT821H for 7yrs, but the rechargeable battery isn't holding its power anymore. Time to upgrade!!

I've been doing a bit of homework (I want the best), but regarding the MZ-RH910 and the MZ-RH1, I seem to be a little confused. I've downloaded product manuals for each from Sony W/S, and done comparisons. They both seem to do the same things, but the only difference that I can see is that they want to charge me $100 extra for the RH1. OK, the disign is different, but I think the 5-line display of the RH910 is better. (Also the RH1 doesn't have an add-on AA battery)

Anyone got any comments they'd like to share?

I'll be using the machine for playing music when I'm on the go, and recording things like lectures / classes for studying later.

Also, Will I be able to use the Bang & Olufson in-ear earphones with it? Doesn't Sony use a micro-headphone jack? (I paid €110 for my B&O's, and they sound QUALITY)

Thanks

Edited by allend

Also, Will I be able to use the Bang & Olufson in-ear earphones with it? Doesn't Sony use a micro-headphone jack? (I paid €110 for my B&O's, and they sound QUALITY)

Thanks

Can't help you on the RH910 -- but the RH1 has far exceeded my expectations in quality. If you need to upload Old format music (SP) then the RH1 is your only choice but if you aren't bothered then I'm afraid you'll have to decide for yourself.

As far as headphones are concerned -- there are plenty of Micro==> full size and Full size===> micro converters available so using a decent pair of phones shouldn't be a problem.

I don't know what the output of the RH910 is but even the European version of the RH1 has a 4.5mw O/P which will drive most phones decently.

Don't know about the RH910 --but you might be able to "Hack" it if it's volume capped. The Hacks are on this board --just search for it.

Cheers

-K

I've been super happy with my old sharp MD-MT821H for 7yrs, but the rechargeable battery isn't holding its power anymore. Time to upgrade!!

I've been doing a bit of homework (I want the best), but regarding the MZ-RH910 and the MZ-RH1, I seem to be a little confused. I've downloaded product manuals for each from Sony W/S, and done comparisons. They both seem to do the same things, but the only difference that I can see is that they want to charge me $100 extra for the RH1. OK, the disign is different, but I think the 5-line display of the RH910 is better. (Also the RH1 doesn't have an add-on AA battery)

I'll be using the machine for playing music when I'm on the go, and recording things like lectures / classes for studying later.

Thanks

1) RH910 doesn't remember Rec Level = Manual settings. Everytime you start recording, you have to reset Rec Level to manual and then set the level. It starts off in Auto AGC by default. RH1 remembers Rec Level settings.

2) RH910 has only a headphone out. RH1 has a true line out because it uses Li Ion batteries. It's nice to have line out if you plan to EVER connect the unit to an amp system instead of headphones.

3) RH910 is a second gen unit, and all 2nd gen units have a small problem with the MP3 playback quality, making them sound kind of emasculated at the higher end of the audible frequency range. This problem has been fixed in the RH1 and MP3s sound perfect.

4) If I'm not mistaken, the RH910 comes with an Ni MH rechargeable battery which suffers from the memory effect. So, you can't charge from half charge .You have to do full charge and discharge cycles always. THe RH1 uses Li Ion batteries which don't suffer this problem. Charge anytime without worries.

5) RH910 can charge only through the AC adaptor. There's some sort of 'almost charge' facility when connected to a computer via USB. THe RH1 charges perfectly both through the AC adaptor and when connected via USB cable to a computer. In fact, even the wall adaptor ends in a USB plug which plugs into the USB port of the unit.

If you want the best, the choice is obvious. RH1 it is.

Fat Muttony, you're certainly objective. Aren't you? lol I smell an RH1 fanatic. There is SOMETHING good about the RH910, right? lol

- No external AA battery attachment for the RH1. :P

- Also, some functions of the RH1 are only accessible using the remote.

- Not much info is displayed on the unit itself.

In defense of the RH1 though:

- Can record in legacy formats (SP/LP2/LP4) on the unit itself.

- Mp3 direct playback is not hindered as it is in the RH910.

- Mac uploads are allowed of Hi-MD recordings.

I own both the RH10 and the RH1. I'd recommend the RH1, particularly if you do alot of recording, and definitely if you have legacy discs lying around, since you can upload these to PC with the RH1.

Excellent information, gentlemen... kudos to all.

Well, I'm still unsure (although now more swayed to the RH1). My only problem now is trying to find one (whichever I choose) - I live in Tarragona, north east Spain, and the Sony Centre shop here is clueless. They cant get me anything.

I've also tried websearching, with a possible purchase from USA (with a lot of $$$ wasted on shipping).

I'll have to "look into my heart..."

Thanks again to all.

d

Fat Muttony, you're certainly objective. Aren't you? lol I smell an RH1 fanatic. There is SOMETHING good about the RH910, right? lol

:D

Well, one can't say the RH1 is just an RH910 plus a $100 surcharge. That was being kind of unfair to the best ever Hi MD Unit to come out IMO. Sorry if I sounded a bit too evangelical. :blush:

I have an RH710 (RH910, minus Mic In, minus Ni MH rechargeables) and I love it to death. But having used both, I really do think the RH1 is well-worth the extra dough.

Quote:"5) RH910 can charge only through the AC adaptor. There's some sort of 'almost charge' facility when connected to a computer via USB. THe RH1 charges perfectly both through the AC adaptor and when connected via USB cable to a computer. In fact, even the wall adaptor ends in a USB plug which plugs into the USB port of the unit."

My RH910 recharges when hooked up to my Mac! I was surprised but it does.

2) RH910 has only a headphone out. RH1 has a true line out because it uses Li Ion batteries. It's nice to have line out if you plan to EVER connect the unit to an amp system instead of headphones.

HUH? LOL! I believe the RH1 has a line out simply because sony wanted to market the product as both a HI MD deck as well as a HI MD portable unit. Lineout on the menu just does VOLUME-MAX+EQ OFF+SOUND NOTIFICATIONS OFF in one switch. You can accomplish lineout on any MD unit by just turning volume to max and telling the unit to mute any sound effects that are not part of the original music (beeps when paused or changing traks for example).

Thanks

Both the RH-910 and RH1 lack megabass, superbass, X-bass, etc. Your old MD player probably has better bass output. But if you're not looking for good bass sound, and you should be, then go for the RH1. It's got a lot more features and is the most up to date unit available.

HUH? LOL! I believe the RH1 has a line out simply because sony wanted to market the product as both a HI MD deck as well as a HI MD portable unit. Lineout on the menu just does VOLUME-MAX+EQ OFF+SOUND NOTIFICATIONS OFF in one switch. You can accomplish lineout on any MD unit by just turning volume to max and telling the unit to mute any sound effects that are not part of the original music (beeps when paused or changing traks for example).

It's definitely not Volume - Max, because when I turn my RH1's out port to Line Out, you can't hear anything on the headphones. In fact, if I recall correctly, a line level signal is infact low gain.

But yeah, I think Sony did this as a workable compromise for all the folks asking for a deck. :D

Quote:"5) RH910 can charge only through the AC adaptor. There's some sort of 'almost charge' facility when connected to a computer via USB. THe RH1 charges perfectly both through the AC adaptor and when connected via USB cable to a computer. In fact, even the wall adaptor ends in a USB plug which plugs into the USB port of the unit."

My RH910 recharges when hooked up to my Mac! I was surprised but it does.

Is it a full recharge?! :blink:

Both the RH-910 and RH1 lack megabass, superbass, X-bass, etc. Your old MD player probably has better bass output. But if you're not looking for good bass sound, and you should be, then go for the RH1. It's got a lot more features and is the most up to date unit available.

Why do you want any of those Bass features? Only if don't want fully functional ears in 10 - 20 years time, lol. RH1 has good replication of all sound, even the the low end frequencies, hence the HD Digital Amp.

I define the RH1 as the recordists and playists heaven device. :D

Yep, my old sharp does have excellent bass grunt. There's "bass 0" flat, "bass 1" ballsy, and "bass 2" super ballsy. interestingly, the bass lowers off with volume increase, to stop distortion / popping.

I guess i would like to have the option there of colouring with a little bass, but to be honest, as a musican, i've grown fond of natural "direct" sound. too many days in recording studios with mad guitarists whacking up overdrive / distortion / reverb / etc etc etc...

And dont worry about my hearing, i started to lose that years ago (an industrial hearing test in a factory i worked at told me my high frequency was down to 17 - 18k!)

interesting idea of adding my own battery kit. but wouldn't that be like drawing on a crayola moustache on the mona lisa?!

:lol:

d

The RH910 or RH10 are both fantastic choices over the RH1.

My reasons:

1. Larger display

2. Screen shows artist/track titles

3. RH10/910 has AA attachment

4. RH10/910 has a jog dial to easily scroll through songs and menus

5. Much cheaper price wise

I'd say get yourself an RH10 or RH910 unless you want the ability to upload legacy recordings.

Edited by RobA

It's definitely not Volume - Max, because when I turn my RH1's out port to Line Out, you can't hear anything on the headphones. In fact, if I recall correctly, a line level signal is infact low gain.

I rechecked this, and I was wrong. THe line out is indeed a high level signal, and may be achieved by volume - max. Though I don't know that this is true of the RH1.

:D I adore my Sony MD RH 910. I cannot go anywhere without it. I know nothing about the other one but honestly I have had mine for a year now and have used it EVERY day while travelling on the bus for 2 hours. The dry batery case is wonderful for this because you can carry another AA batter always to usse when the rechargeable one runs out so it is really portable.

My main worry is that should anything happen to it I will Never be able to get another one as although this is my first time being on this site it looks like mini disc recorders are a thing of the past. Can we all not moan to Sony and say we can't live without them.

• 1 month later...

those basses arent required if the device has a 6equalizer on it... u just need to know which ones to turn up and down etcetc^^: those kind of basses etcetc are like 'equalizer for dummys' kind of thing..the Rh1 has a HD digital amp... nothing beats that^^:

@ kdk087: unfortunately (I'd wish Chris would quit whining about the bass as well :P just kidding chris, I love your consistency) that isn't completely true... the lowest band of the Sony 6-band eq is only 100Hz while the human hearing goes down to 20Hz and even worse, adjusting that band only affects 100Hz and not 100Hz and below... that's a whole lot of bass that doesn't get 'raised' when the lowest band is. Greenmachine discovered this through a series of tests...

On the other hand, if one lowers all bands (one or two increments), the lowest frequencies (<100Hz) aren't affected as explained above which means that they (relatively speaking) are raised... so by lowering all bands, one can actually raise the deep bass (and if you want the 100Hz bass (or any other specific frequency that has a eq-band) to be stronger as well, just keep that band in the neutral position as well) (this solution comes courtesy of greenmachine as well)