RH1 won't charge

Rate this topic

reefbeef

I tried to charge my RH1 last night, battery was close to full disharge. Upon plugging mini USB connector to unit, it displayed 'Low Battery' which flashed a few times then appeared to just be off without charging. I replugged everything multiple times and took out the battery. Every time I replugged, the 'Low Battery' message would appear.

So, I left it plugged in overnight to see what'd happen. Apparently, nothing. I unplugged the unit and pressed play. It did start up, but the battery sign flashed indicating very low battery. I then pressed stop and replugged the unit to charge. It then started charging. But, I was leaving to work and couldn't leave it behind so I brought the usb plug without the wall outlet portion to charge on work computer.

Plugged into work PC, I'm getting 'Low Battery' message and it's not charging.

Anyone else encounter this? Any suggestions to rectify situation?

Thanks...

Unluckily, it sounds like your battery is dead :(

However, maybe the problem is in the USB cable so a fast verify could be that to insert your LIP-4WM battery in a compatible MD recorder/player like a Sony MZ-NH1 to see if it can charge it...

Do you have a warranty?

Have NH1 and a warrantee (I think...). Purchased from Minidisc Canada.

I'll try NH1 to charge battery when home...

UPDATE: Just unplugged from PC, pressed play (it turned on), pressed stop and replugged USB while unit still on and it appears to be charging now...

Edited by reefbeef

At home I plugged it into AC outlet and still just get 'Low Battery' flash for couple secs then off.

I checked battery orientation twice, it's correct.

I threw in my battery from my NH1 and nothing showed up on the screen 'til I pressed play. At this point it started playing and charging, showing 1 bar in the battery level.

I then threw the original battery back in to see if maybe it was some kind of memory issue that I've been hearing about but don't quite understand yet. Still get 'low battery.'

Safe to say, the faulty (?) battery is now charging in the NH1 --charge time 60 mins.

It's like the RH1 just couldn't spark up the battery to recharge. Cuz it was so low? But then why can the NH1 charge it?

It's like the RH1 just couldn't spark up the battery to recharge. Cuz it was so low? But then why can the NH1 charge it?

Perhaps Sony has made some redesign of the charging circuitry used in the RH1. Perhaps they want to sell more batteries :big_boss:

• 2 weeks later...