I've tried my MZ-RH1

Rate this topic

Atrac3

At last, I've found a bit of free time to try my unit.

I simply did plug-in a Sony mic (ECM-719) and I did made some little settings:

- from Hi-SP to PCM

- Mic sens to Low

- Mic AGC to 'for Music'

Then I did go to my beloved piano and I did start to play something (from 3rd Chopin piano sonata).

Then i did go to my Mac and I did connect my MZ-RH1 using the included USB cable: an icon was mounted on the desktop to start ''Hi-MD music transfer 2.0''. Using it I did transfer easily my 2 tracks to Mac at reasonable velocity: about a minute for 10 minutes of PCM music (103 MB) in WAV format.

The sound quality is great but the sound level a bit too low... I will try another setting as soon as possible.

Is there a way to upload some little WAV files in this forum?

Sharing your recordings with us is highly appreciated. You can upload to the gallery of this forum. Wav files are usually too large, but a high bitrate mp3 doesn't sound much worse and saves a lot of space/bandwidth. Glad your recorder is working ok.

At last, I've found a bit of free time to try my unit.

I simply did plug-in a Sony mic (ECM-719) and I did made some little settings:

- from Hi-SP to PCM

- Mic sens to Low

- Mic AGC to 'for Music'

The sound quality is great but the sound level a bit too low... I will try another setting as soon as possible.

Try the manual setting and adjust the level.

Try the manual setting and adjust the level.

I second that. Also, try two different recordings with:

1) Mic Sens Low + Rec Level in the higher regions.

2) Mic Sens High + Rec Level in the lower regions.

You should get a reasonable idea which one sounds best for your needs.

OK. I've just uploaded them: they are three audio clip from my amatorial recording. I simply have used my little Sony ECM-719 mic.

First to upload, I have converted them to MP3 format, 112 KBS.

Hey greenmachine, thanks for adding a link.

I have to try other settings since the record of my piano is too could. The real problem is that here the weather is too hot so it's a real sacrifice to play the piano for record it...

OK. I've just uploaded them: they are three audio clip from my amatorial recording. I simply have used my little Sony ECM-719 mic.

First to upload, I have converted them to MP3 format, 112 KBS.

Beautiful Atrac3 ;) . I little bit distorted on the high frequencies on my tiny speakers.

Thanks Greenmachine for the link :ok:

Edited by dogville

Thank for hearing my records, dogville :-))

For the distortion: I have hat to 'normalize' the sound level using an aido - editing application, since it was a bit too low...

So, what is the best Sony ECM mic, today?

When I did buy my first MD (MZ-R30) there was the ECM-717, then I did buy the ECM-719 very similar model: both interesting for the power plug-in function. I've seen other ECM model available but they are too big and they want a battery inside...

But for the quality?

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you. I am happy to know that do you like my records, greenmachine.

Recently, I have bought a little mic on eBay like the following:

http://cgi.ebay.it/GOLD-LE-MD-DAT-MINIDISC...1QQcmdZViewItem

The vendor assured me that it is more powerful that Sony ECM series. I will tray it as soon as possible with my MZ-RH1.

However, the last week I did record ''Madama Butterfly" of Puccini (live recordings) and I was more than happy to see that MZ-RH1's battery was enough powerful to record three acts of Opera (more than two hours of music)!!!! :D

He told you only half the truth. While it may have an extended frequency range, particularly in the lower region, it is a one channel (mono) mic. also without an extension cord, you will pick up a great part of the recorder's motor noise. Personally, i would'n t want to go back to mono, especially not for such precious music.

Thanks for your advise.

However, I will try to record something soon...

I have seen another eBay item that seems interesting:

http://cgi.ebay.it/Stereo-Miniatur-Mikrofo...1QQcmdZViewItem

There are always a lot of users interested at it on eBay, so I think it should be enough good, isn't it?

Greetings :-)

That's one of my auctions, hehe. It's a real stereo mic with separable channels, omnidirectional pickup pattern and full frequency response. I build these by myself. I can't recommend myself but there seem to be lots of satisfied customers. If you're interested, you can send me a PM and i'll make you a special price. Talented musicians need to be supported. ;)

Not bad, but I have used the extension cord from a Sony mic (Sony ECM DS70) to avoid every MD's motor noise.

The real problem is that the sound of my piano (usually very hot) is could and metallic...

Then, maybe that the mic is too sensible to every little rumor of the ambient.

However, I cannot wait to try your mic :-)

What's your opinion about my record? What do you think about the mic after hearing the sound quality?

Not bad, but I have used the extension cord from a Sony mic (Sony ECM DS70) to avoid every MD's motor noise.

The real problem is that the sound of my piano (usually very hot) is could and metallic...

Then, maybe that the mic is too sensible to every little rumor of the ambient.

However, I cannot wait to try your mic :-)

What's your opinion about my record? What do you think about the mic after hearing the sound quality?

How/where do you place the mic(s)? What kind of distance? What kind of room (size/shape)? What kind of piano? What you hear when playing is not what you get when you don't place the mics close to you(r ears). The sound will be different. Experiment with different mic placement.

To be honest, since i'm most of the time listening with headphones, i can't stand mono recordings, it sounds as if the sound was trapped inside my head rather than around it, so i like the Sony mic recordings better so far.

For a stereo mic with separable channels like mine, use a distance of approx. 15-20 cm (the distance between your ears) and experiment with barriers in between to simulate the sound shaping characteristics of your head. This way you'll get lifelike 3-dimensional recordings. Let yourself be inspired by this somewhat chaotic site: http://www.sonicstudios.com/

Good luck, thanks for sharing your beautiful music and let us know about your progress.

That's one of my auctions, hehe. It's a real stereo mic with separable channels, omnidirectional pickup pattern and full frequency response. I build these by myself. I can't recommend myself but there seem to be lots of satisfied customers. If you're interested, you can send me a PM and i'll make you a special price. Talented musicians need to be supported. ;)

Looks like a nice microphone - shame I don't speak a word of German. They're beautifully made though, going by the pictures...

I built a couple of microphones (a stereo "stealth" similar to the one you're selling and a mono plug-type mike) with some Projects Unlimited POM-2738L microphone elements. Sound quality from the stereo mic is really nice. I really need to re-cover them, though (the Araldite didn't last very long). Heatshrinking might be a bit difficult though - they're absolutely tiny - 2.7mm long by 6mm diameter. The specsheet is at http://web.pui.com/AudioCommerce/images/ca...s/POM-2738L.pdf if you're interested.

Edited by philpem

Thanks for your advise, greenmachine :-)

My piano is in my (enough big) drawing-room. Unluckily the acoustic is not so great since the costruction is enough recent...

Since my coda-piano is enough big (2,11 meters) I have to cover it with a thin blanket otherwise the sound is too high (also to avoid problems with neighbours...).

Near my house there is a road with enough traffic, so I have to close every windows. So, closing all the sound of my piano is not good how it could be in another ambient.

Then at the left of it there is a wall, so I think that the natural risonance is stopped in some way.

If I try to open full my piano the sound is really too strong to hear and to record it...

However, when I have recorded the Bach Preludio the mic was at a distance of about 30 cm at the right of my piano.

For philpem: really interesting but a bit too ''technical'' for me.

Regards :-)