Sennheiser Neckband Phones

Rate this topic

Mr_Bass_Man

I have included a small pictorial comparing the two popular types of Sennheiser neckband phones, the PMX60 and PMX100. http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?act=m...m&album=268

I have used the PMX60s for some time on stage for montitoring purposes (I have two pairs, the second as a spare), and have just acquired the PMX100s, following comments from (TheLow)Volta.

Sonically, to my ears the PMX100s win hands down, but their "foldable" feature probably means that they are less rugged, and not as suitable for stage equipment as the '60s.

The '100s are a tighter fit on my head, and have noticeably more bass response, but this may be a fuction of the "tightness", at least in part.

I can wear the '60s comfortably on stage for an hour or more without discomfort. The '100s are slightly more expensive, but both, I believe represent good value for money.

Note that the PMX60 has a right-angled jack connector, and the PMX100 a "linear" one - the latter being preferable, in my opinion.

HtH

Edited by Mr_Bass_Man

I have included a small pictorial comparing the two popular types of Sennheiser neckband phones, the PMX60 and PMX100. http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?act=m...m&album=268

I have used the PMX60s for some time on stage for montitoring purposes (I have two pairs, the second as a spare), and have just acquired the PMX100s, following comments from (TheLow)Volta.

I bought them too...

Neckband size

I find the neckband on the PMX100 too large (but I knew this going in reading comments on head-fi.org, etc). Would like it to be adjustable, just like any headband model is. It sticks out behind my neck a bit too much.

Ear fitting

PMX100 didn't rest on my ears quite where I wanted them to, but temporarily moving them about to where I expected them on my ears didn't result in any sonic differences, so I quickly got used to the 'standard' fit.

Getting them on

Putting them on at first was a little difficult to get the hooks behind the ears, too. After only being exposed to a Sony model beforehand (which was easy to slip on and off without hassle), I think this can improve. However, the Sony model I tried would hurt your ears after a short time (where the hooks touch your ears). Sennheiser was/is better in this respect.

Looks

As far as looks of the phones go, I truly believe this is one of the ugliest phones in existence (with notable Grado/Koss models taking top spots). Certainly one of the worst (if not the worst) in the Sennheiser line-up. These things are subjective, of course, but I'd expect to see this level of aesthetic in the local $2 shop.

Sound

That's why we buy it. And I beleive it's one of the best-sounding phones for the money. However, that said, I haven't tried many in this price range :P and I am one of these freaks that occasinally desires just a little more volume out of them from Hi-MD's puny 5mW outputs (when running with a flat EQ on the Hi-MD unit, which I never bother changing). Yes, sometimes I like to drown out the universe. That said, I think they will be more than adequate for the majority of people.

Sound Leakage

Do not use them with others nearby unless you want to annoy them.

Overall, glad I bought them. I just hope whoever designed them and thought the... ahh, I'm making myself sick talking about it :)

I actually find the PMX comfy. I don't actually wear them out in public...shudder...

They are comfy. Just that getting them on your ears is not as easy as the Sony I tried. And where they rested on my ears was a bit of a surprise (compared to where I expected them to rest).

...and the neckband occasionally reminds u it *is* too big.

While I absolutely think the looks are tacky (and will loudly state it), the tackyness doesn't actually prevent me from using them outside (I draw the line with certain Koss and Grado models, though). Comfort and sound win out.

Most of my phones listening is done through full-size cans indoors, but these are fine outdoorsy phones, IMO.

Edited by tekdroid

• 3 weeks later...