5 gig hi-md minidiscs

Rate this topic

DrSiddons

I think its hardware too,

Maby it would be possable with a firmware update, I bet if it was it would push the hardware more than they were designed for and I bet the power life would be reduced to quite a major loss...

(If all Hi-MD players are compatable with firware updates in the first place)

Edited by danielbb90

Hi Guis;

I think that 5 GB could be possible in case of new format of MD/HI-MD, that involves new lend and new laser, like blue ray technology.

I hope that if one day Sony produces MD whit this technology it will be compatible both with standard MD and HI-MD.

For me 1GB are very practical for holding music,45 Hours (atrac3plus 48KB) or 7 Hours and 55 minutes (Hi-SP) are still enough for me, and for and inexpensive disk, about 6 euros each disk, are perfect.But maiby for others stuffs 1Gb are a not ok.

FAT partitions are limited up to 2GB,32kb each cluster, for biger partitions (lager than 2GB) FAT32 is required, or other file sistems like NTFS or RAISER (Linux).

For me 1GB are very practical for holding music, 7 Hours and 55 minutes (Hi-SP) are still enough for me, and for and inexpensive disk, about 6 euros each disk

Completely agree with you taking into account that quality sound of ATRAC3PLUS 256 is really very very good :wub: . But you know, dreaming is free :lol:

;)

This is down to the wavelength of the laser and the chemical construction of the layers on the disc. If it's possible to make them you can bet your pension it won't be possible to make them fully backwards compatible.

So, the answer is NO. It's not possible, it will never happen.

I am really sorry to cause such confusion (it was me who wrote about 5 Gb), but I only stated that with current technologies it is possible to put 5 Gb on a minidisc-SIZED optical disc. Probably even more. Remember Blu-ray.

But there is no way to make it work with existing [Hi]MDs (both media and devices). And, most probably, there will never be such a way.

And now for some fun. If you compare MD and HiMD specifications & technology, you will easily find out that IT IS currently possible to record about 1.3 Gb on a standard commercially available 700 Mb CD-RW disc. Not that such recorders (or readers) will ever be produced. The idea behind that is exactly the one used to format old MDs in HiMD mode (more efficient modulation and finer laser beam).

Edited by Avrin