A probably foolish question...

Rate this topic

whatsleftofj

How can I find out which md/hi-md players and recorders have USB connections, and which do not? My girlfriend wants an MZ-EH50, and I was going to give my RH-10 to my brother so I could get something new, maybe an EH1. However, I only use files from my computer. So would I be able to create a disc by plugging in an EH50 or EH1, or would I need to create them via my computer with the RH10?

if memory serves me correctly the eh50 and eh1 are player only units. I think essentially any MD unit by Sony that has a E before an a number e.g. E75, E900, E710 is player only.

There is however the NH3D which is a download only Hi-MD unit with no screen and which comes with the 3line remote, although Im not sure if you can still buy it anywhere.

As an example of what is still available try AudioCubes (note they have MD players & MD recorders in separate categories) The NH3D is still available in the MDrecorder group.

http://www.audiocubes.com/category/Home,+Portable+Audio.html

While most Sony MD units use the same mini-plug on the unit side of the USB cable there are several models which have a different connector such as the NH1, EH1 & NH3D and then the DH10P which has a different one again.

To complicate matters further some will recharge rechagable batteries via the USB connection and others don't.

another possibility is to find a RH710D cheap (as it is a downloader only and can transer MP3 as is)

It was my understanding that the RH710 is the downloader/recorder while the DH710 is the downloader-only. Never heard of an RH710D. Unless it's a new hybrid. :P

While most Sony MD units use the same mini-plug on the unit side of the USB cable there are several models which have a different connector such as the NH1, EH1 & NH3D and then the DH10P which has a different one again.

Again, just to repeat porter and Volta, the EH1 is a player-only model and cannot make a USB connection. Although I'm pretty sure bogon07 mistyped and meant "RH1," no? ;)

Again, just to repeat porter and Volta, the EH1 is a player-only model and cannot make a USB connection.

But I thought all hi-md units had USBs? :blink:

So if I give my brother my RH-10 and have two player-only units (EH-50 and EH-1), I would need to borrow his RH-10 every time I wanted to make a disc off the computer?

It would all be so much easier if I just got into minidiscs in the '90s...

So if I give my brother my RH-10 and have two player-only units (EH-50 and EH-1), I would need to borrow his RH-10 every time I wanted to make a disc off the computer?

I'm afraid that is indeed the case... (but as someone else probably already said you could get an NH3D/DH10P instead of either the EH50 or EH1 which would have USB - or get a DS-HMD1 and have it attached to your computer)

It looks like Volta has deleted his post (Premium Member abilities, I'm assuming) and I only quoted part of his comments, but he did mention that not all Hi-MD units have USB.

The DS-HMD1 is also a great choice, but no one has seen it for sale anywhere (outside of Japan, that is) for some time now. If you want to give away your RH10 and still get the EH1/EH50, you could also get a low-end downloader like the NH600D in addition to your players. Factory-sealed can be had for as low as $60 on eBay. Good luck.

huh... it looks that way indeed... but I didn't really do it on purpose :lol:

I guess I must have accidentally 'clicked' (my mac touchpad is set to respond to taps as clicks but it is way too sensitive :P ) the delete button...

just for clarity, I seem to remember I posted something like:

A440 is over-generalizing a bit here... not all HiMD's have USB-connections (there are the E player only models)

and then the advice for a cheaper downloader (in which I misspelt the DH710 :D ) quoted by jaylen