RH1 at Best Buy ...

Rate this topic

jaylen

Not sure if this was already posted or not, but I stumbled across this while attempting to check prices on MD blanks for TBRaja.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1149206659074

Sony Hi-MD Walkman Digital Music Player and Recorder

Model: MZRH1

At a mere 3.6 ounces, this compact recorder can easily tag along when you're on the go. Record from multiple sources and transfer files quickly and easily for archiving or editing.

COMING SOON

Shipping: Usually ships in 2-5 business days

Store Pickup: Not Available

Our Price: $349.99

If this is a duplicate, please delete. Thanks.

I'm almost willing to bet that this means BestBuy will carry the item in their warehouse, but not in thier physical stores. That's the way they've handled some other units in the past, not to mention 1GB blanks.

I'd wish they'd at least carry the Hi-MD blanks in the stores. I mean, how much shelf space does a couple of discs take up?

I got my NH1 from Best Buy, but as was stated, it wasn't in the store, I had to order it.

The trick you can use to get some money off, during Best Buy's 10% off coupons and the like (if you get those in the mail), is to use "customer fulfillment". Go to the audio section with your coupon, tell them you'd like to order an RH1 (or whatever), give them your coupon. They charge you then, and drop-ship to the store from the nearest warehouse. Then you can go pick it up at the store. (you can't have it shipped to your home, unfortunately) But at least you can take advantage of special in-store only sales, financing, etc.

Or if you really want to get gangster about buying it cheaper, buy something else that has a coupon--or "limited time discount"--and then return it without the receipt--and get a credit for its full price--then use that credit to buy the RH-1. One of the beauties of mass-capitalist business ventures is that there are always ways to skirt the issue of paying what they require you to pay.

Or if you really want to get gangster about buying it cheaper, buy something else that has a coupon--or "limited time discount"--and then return it without the receipt--and get a credit for its full price--then use that credit to buy the RH-1. One of the beauties of mass-capitalist business ventures is that there are always ways to skirt the issue of paying what they require you to pay.

Or alternatively you could just hide the item under your coat and walk out with it. Either way is dishonest; it's just that you perceive one as more dishonest than the other.

Or alternatively you could just hide the item under your coat and walk out with it. Either way is dishonest; it's just that you perceive one as more dishonest than the other.

And what do you base that assessment on? A notion that honest and dishohnest are derived from absolute and unsubjectified notions, rather than an individually informed/constructed binary?

1.) Your version of honest and my version of honest are not the same, as honesty is not an objective value found within existence, but a subjective value that is fabricated through an individual's participation in a socio-cultural structure. Honesty is--as Judith Butler might say--performed, and must constantly be performed in order to exist. While a normatized 'honesty' may pervade, it doesn't mean that it is right.

2.) I don't think it is dishonest to do what I have outlined above, perhaps you think it's dishonest, and for you then it would be dishonest. I haven't slighted Best-Buy, I've just found a loop-hole in their sales system. To me it's no different than running a red light when there are no cars coming. So then, your attempts to subjectify me to your dishonesty are moot beyond you.

3.) I assume that you have never 'illegally' downloaded any mp3's, ripped tracks from a friend's cd, or taken advantage of a vending machine's capacity for error in food or change distribution? Many people view buying products made in China--amongst other countries--as dishonest because of work conditions and pay rates, should you or I be subjected to these abjectifying qualifiers?

4.) I don't think anyone would accuse an ant-eater of being dishonest for having that particularly adept snout. It's all biological adaptation.

Edited by zachg

Considering Audiocubes is selling the JP RH1 for cheaper (albeit silver version), this is not a pretty good deal. Still, it's good to see HiMD available again in stores. However, I don't think people would like to cough $300 for this considering there is a bigger display showing 30GB iPods.

The RH1 will most likely not be available in their retail stores, but for online purchase only. Please read the earlier posts carefully as to not create confusion. "Store pickup: not available" and Justin42 mentioned that he could only get his NH1 from Best Buy via internet.

Just to make it clear, I posted this in case some people are avid/loyal Best Buy shoppers or have store credit that they need to use. It's definitely not the best deal out there for the RH1, but just simply a heads up. So, please no more comments like "you can get it cheaper [here] or [there]" or "for that price you can get the iWhatever," as there are TONS of threads discussing that subject matter already.

Thanks.

Edit: Font change for emphasis.

Edited by jaylen

Considering Audiocubes is selling the JP RH1 for cheaper (albeit silver version), this is not a pretty good deal. Still, it's good to see HiMD available again in stores. However, I don't think people would like to cough $300 for this considering there is a bigger display showing 30GB iPods.

Best Buy usually is never the best deal for any electronics item, period - I've always been able to find items online for less. With the possible exception of DVD's and sale items, Best Buy's prices usually reflect MSRP.

That's because one IS more dishonest than the other. In one instance, it is being outright stolen and literally smuggled out of the store. In the other, the culprit is shortchanging the store but has parted with considerable cash for the item and is NOT shoplifting. There is a difference, but they are both morally below board.

Edited by himd_anxiety

LOL.

Can you see what finger I'm holding up, too, Adrian?

I just didn't want this thread to be derailed from its current honesty vs dishonesty track. Entertainment I tell ya! :lol:

2.) I don't think it is dishonest to do what I have outlined above, perhaps you think it's dishonest, and for you then it would be dishonest. I haven't slighted Best-Buy, I've just found a loop-hole in their sales system. To me it's no different than running a red light when there are no cars coming. So then, your attempts to subjectify me to your dishonesty are moot beyond you.

Since we're on the topic, I have to agree with this. First, as a thorough anti-capitalist I'm happy to screw over corporations whenever and wherever possible; second, since corporations don't give a damn about individuals, how immoral can it be when you beat them at their very own rules?

Then again, whether it's FutileShop, Best Lie or Circuit Shitty, I'd never buy from those places anyways unless it was absolutely necessary. :P

Stick it to da Man!

peace

WaywardTraveller

• 3 weeks later...

Ack. mrsoul, good catch!

Need help shopping? 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289)

I called that for you just now, got connected to an online representative, and here's how it went:

me - (explained seeing the "Sony MZ-RH1 MiniDisc Walkman" on the website and now it's gone)

her - Unfortunately, I'm seeing that it was indeed listed, but we never actually got to selling it. I'm sorry about this.

me - It was more of a coming-soon ad instead of an available purchase. Will it make another coming-soon appearance on your site or is it gone for good?

her - Well, hmm, it seems like we never got stock of it even though we had it advertised as coming soon. I'm really sorry. It's gone for good.