What's better: MD simple burner or sonicstage?

Rate this topic

sub27

I think there is a difference since putting music onto sonicstage stores it on the computer rathar than it going from straight from cd to minidisc. Which is better for sound quality? When using MD simple burner the sound of it is more musical but sonicstage gives a more interesting computer effect which makes me think this is how the track is supposed to sound. I don't know.

I don't think it makes much difference to be honest. If you encode the CD in SonicStage to WAV (into the library), then to the format in ATRAC onto MD; its exactly the same as going from CD to MD in SimpleBurner (same process).

All SimpleBurner does is make the CD to MD process easier. I assume they both use the same software encoding before transferring the data to MD. The only negative about using SimpleBurner is that you're only limited to Hi-SP, Hi-LP and PCM. SonicStage gives you more in between codec bitrates (48kbps, 192kbps and 352kbps). For me, I use 192kbps because it gives me the best balace between sound quality reproduction and space on the 1GB disc (good enough for about ~8 full albums).

If you feel its unneccessary to place them into your SonicStage Library first and dont need 48kbps, 192kbps or 352kbps, then use Simpleburner.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. :)

I'd agree with Tunster, but I also remember another argument on this topic; one person said that the codecs for SS are actually updated more often than SB...theoretically, this should lead to better quality with SS, no?

However, is all this moot insofar as the hardware of the unit itself in the end determines the sound quality? Is the software encoding irrelevant insofar as the playback is only as good as the unit's hardware itself? :huh:

QUESTION: Would this mean that a realtime recording from a CD digital out to a MD's line-in using an optical cable is identical to software encoding? Better? Any experts wanna shed some light on this, since I am considering buying a portable CD player with digital/optical out expressly for recording favourite CDs realtime to MD for the best quality? :huh:

peace

WaywardTraveller

However, is all this moot insofar as the hardware of the unit itself in the end determines the sound quality? Is the software encoding irrelevant insofar as the playback is only as good as the unit's hardware itself? :huh:

Both encoding and decoding (as well as AD & DA conversion) will determine the resulting quality. A chain is only as strong as its weakest part.

QUESTION: Would this mean that a realtime recording from a CD digital out to a MD's line-in using an optical cable is identical to software encoding? Better? Any experts wanna shed some light on this, since I am considering buying a portable CD player with digital/optical out expressly for recording favourite CDs realtime to MD for the best quality? :huh:

There's no need for realtime recording anymore unless you don't want to use a PC, want to record in old SP and/or for live recording. Software transfer should be as good or better (no forced resampling, latest codecs) and faster in theory.

I still don't know if I should redo my minidiscs using simpleburner. I don't like using sonicstage because the sound seems disintegrated and dark even though it has a higher 352 bitrate. I was really happy with my 256 kbps recordings using simpleburner from before. It seemed great (dynamic and clear) especially with the HD amp. I just don't like the sound coming from songs stored off of a computer. Should I change it or stick with 352kbps?

Edited by sub27

Your ears are the final judge, if you like the "sound" of simple burner, and don't need the songs stored on your computer, go with simple burner. Try different bitrates as well and playback at random, you might be surprised.

Good luck,

Bob