Whats Next

Rate this topic

tazdevil

So with all the issues with connect and what is happening what is the alternate for us people who actually have it running smoothly, are we going to be left in the dark, is sony going to drop it all together. You know its not all that bad, needs some tweaking, and I hope we see it patched up. Whats everyone elses thoughts. We have no notice here in North America telling us anything about it. Have to read it in the European Sony pages. Any of you serious Sony people that read this, some of us would like to have answers, or an offical statement. I'm seriously thinking theres something wrong with a corporation that stings us this way!!!!!!!!!!!!!, this would have made my descision about bying my nwa-3000 an easy one.

Edited by tazdevil

What's the sting? They are implementing all of the features that make the NW-A series work with Connect Player into Sonicstage, which will undoubtedly be a better experience. Yes, you'll have to re-do your library but I would after experiencing both programs.

Okay, maybe I am missing something. If the programmers couldn't get the features to work in Connect...how do they plan on getting them to work in Sonic Stage, especially since Connect was written (supposedly) from the ground up to handle the new Sony Walkmans? You would think that if they can get SS to work, then they could do the same with Connect.

It looks like Sony is about to fall another iteration behind the pack leader with this nonsense.

WOW, what a mess! I mean, they were going to launch connect service once again, with music, film, games and ebooks contents, through a new version of Connect player, right?

So what SONY is telling right now, is "until then" we're going to give you a full compatible version of Sonicstage with A series. I can't imagine for one second that they're gonna drop Connect Player forever, and keep SS instead, it's impossible to me. Are they just going to mix the 2 programs, rename them as Connect player once for all (in US it seems that they're calling SS "Connect Player"...). That's what they planed I guessed, from the beginning.

But as you Say Kurisu, if they bolt the functionality, it means that now we have a sonic stage version that wotks pretty fine, and after upgrading it we're not sure how good it's gonna work after the update... well, SONY worries everybody right now.

Are they just looking on how it works in other compagnies (Apple?), and compare what they do? I'd like to be a mouse and spy them to know how they think and work.

One thing they could do, is to tell us when, and what they're really planning to implement in their sofwares, or better: A QUESTIONNAIRE asking what is the problem, according to consumer's opinion!!!

The number of people with problems, far outweighs the number of people without problems.

I cannot even use basic functionality on mine, the CD drives fail to appear, so I cannot RIP, it takes about 8 minutes to start up. It uses over 700MB of memory...

Personally I am glad they have killed it off. I think it should be entombed in a concrete coffin, and sunk to the bottom of the ocean, in the hope it never see's the light of day again. That's how I feel about Connect...

I just hope 2 things fro SonicStage

1/ The NW-A update comes soon

2/ It has a public beta test, so we can get our hands on it sooner, and feedback any issues. (Sony cannot afford to make a hash of this one...)

Really? how do you know that? cool!

It still doesn't tell us what the hell they're gonna do for the official re-launch of Connect service, wich sounds pretty cool (though we don't have news about the jap and euro service re-launch. Is it gonna be unified, a la Itunes?). Will we use Sonicstage? Will there be a new software, and we'll throw SS to the garbage again? I don't know what to think anymore! what about simple consumers who don't want to think or bother of all of these neverending problems...

If anyone here has contact with the makers of this long awaited update, tell not to forget UNICODE, wich is in my opinion the only TRUE important thing that SS lacks....sniff. Then I'll be very very happy to use it, as I like it.

Okay, maybe I am missing something. If the programmers couldn't get the features to work in Connect...how do they plan on getting them to work in Sonic Stage, especially since Connect was written (supposedly) from the ground up to handle the new Sony Walkmans? You would think that if they can get SS to work, then they could do the same with Connect.

Software development needs to be planned and designed carefully before any coding begins. In fact, the first step is analysing the user requirements before ensuring those requirements are nailed in the design of the software - even the first step hasn't been completed, as far as I am concerned (you'd have thought that 'drag & drop' functionality, and editing details of multiple tracks would be a basic customer requirement! In an iterative software development life-cycle, designs should be regularly challenged, improved and updated - they obviously screwed up / rushed some basic design principles with Connect and then attempted to implement (code) the flawed design. It pays to get the design right before starting coding, as otherwise you can spend far more time nd money scrapping and rewriting code afterwards, which it appears is what Sony will be doing - Connect sounds like it's in a right mess! If Sony believe it's quicker to bolt on NW-A features in to SS, the Connect software must need a massive overhaul.

Such a program like Connect and SonicStage will be programmed in an object orientated manor and will consist of 'modules' (chunks of code that handle certain parts of the program). The code in Connect that handles ArtistLink / Top 100 etc. might be working 'OK-ish' - they might need to make some minor changes before integrating with SonicStage. It must be other aspects of the whole Connect program that require a rethink / re-writing, and that will take longer than adding NW-A1000 / 3000 features to SonicStage... and the main problems with Connect are not with the ArtistLink & other exclusive NW-A1000 / 3000 features, as far as I know. Forget fixing the minor issues first, what about the critical issues, such as the massive resourse usage which will bring even make a powerful PC grind to it's knees!

I think Sony need to revise their software development practices!

Edited by Obli

What's the sting? They are implementing all of the features that make the NW-A series work with Connect Player into Sonicstage, which will undoubtedly be a better experience. Yes, you'll have to re-do your library but I would after experiencing both programs.

For me the sting is CONNECT's aesthetic and navigational qualities. Every time I look at SonicStage it makes me want to cry. I know it won't take long to get used to SS, I used to use it all the time for my NZ-10 but the fact of the matter is CP is just much better designed. Not better made, just better designed.

For me the sting is CONNECT's aesthetic and navigational qualities. Every time I look at SonicStage it makes me want to cry. I know it won't take long to get used to SS, I used to use it all the time for my NZ-10 but the fact of the matter is CP is just much better designed. Not better made, just better designed.

I disagree, Connect is horrible. When it shows the contents of my 20GB NW-A3000, all I get is 1 massive long list of tracks. No hireachal listing like the library has. Personally, whilst SonicSTage is pretty poor from a UI, it's nowhere near as bad as Connects...