Intermittent recording problems: MZ-B100

Rate this topic

Russell Letson

I can't find any queries about this particular problem: My MZ-B100 sometimes refuses to stay in record mode--I push the big red button and it engages for a few seconds and then pops out and goes into data-save mode. After a few (or a dozen) retries, it will go into record and behave normally. At first I thought that this was power-related and would just put in a fresh battery, but the other day (in the middle of a blues workshop, of course), it didn't respond to any of the batteries I tried--and then started to work again. The batteries were freshly-recharged Panasonic 1600 mAHs and a brand-new alkaline. Might it be something as simple as a dirty record head? (I'm searching for my head cleaner) or one of those evil mechano-electronic intermittents that give techs migraines?

Edited by Russell Letson

• 11 months later...

Finally, something to report. The problem I was having seems to be fairly common with the B-100, but also apparently easily fixable, at least if the turnaround time of the Laredo repair facility is any indication. I bit the bullet and sent one of my malfunctioning units for the $99 flat-fee repair and got it back, functional, in about ten days. The somewhat cryptic notation on the return invoice reads "Constant auto/special func mechanical adjustment," which might mean it was an alignment problem with the head assembly. In any case, the whole transaction went pretty smoothly, and now I'm waiting to see if the repair holds up. Just in case anybody is tracking B-100 issues or Sony's repair-facility behavior.