MD player really f***ed up on me today. Badly.

Rate this topic

M-1000

Another day, another live recording. This time a change from the normal pace of rock concerts and 140db standing infront of the stacks.

Today was Phantom of the Opera. So with me, hidden within my dress clothes, was my MZ-NHF800 and CSB's. Show starts, I start recording. Switch HI-MD discs at intermission.

Get home to find 247 tracks on the first disc and 164 on the second. This has NEVER happened before. Years of live recording with MD players and this is the first time I have ever had more than 1 track on a disc. I dont know what caused this to happen, why it happened, or anything.

I see Sonic Stage has a 'combine' feature, so im trying that on the .omg file and I really hope that after it combines them its gapless or my recording is beyond ruined.

Has anybody ever had this happen with their recordings? The MD player was in my pocket like it always was, with hold on, but yet it created all these tracks. So I have two discs, both 1 1/2 hours in length, 247 tracks on one, 164 on the other

There's no way to turn off the Auto Track Mark function on Line-in--when it senses 5 seconds of near-silence, it inserts a mark.

But all you have to do is upload and use the Combine function in the Edit menu. Highlight the tracks you want combined, click the button and go do something else while the computer grinds away.

The important thing to remember about Combine is that you MUST highlight the tracks in the order you want them combined, from first to last--not from last to first. There's no Undo for the Combine function. (Though if for any reason it gets messed up you could always upload the original tracks from the disc and try again.)

another way to combine tracks is to take the converted wavs into foobar2000 and highlight them, right click, convert, convert to single file, wav. it doesn't take as long as in SS and theres a status bar that show you when it'll be done.

Note that this method will not be gapless though, however, if the trackmarks were inserted because of (near) silence this may not matter. You can remove trackmarks on the disc itself as well as with SS. Just pause while playing then press "skip back". "Mark" will appear in the display and then you just press the track mark button and the track mark will be removed.

• 3 weeks later...

in your REC settings, make the following changes

turn SYNCH REC off...

then, turn GROUP REC on.

now, it'll record just one file, regardless of the volume levels, and each time you hit record, it'll go into a new group, so it's better organized as it awaits transfer into Sonic Stage.

Sync Rec has nothing to do with the automatic track marking in Line-in. Silence will still produce track marks.

Sync Rec has nothing to do with the automatic track marking in Line-in. Silence will still produce track marks.

An interesting thread as I have just encountered exactly the same thing since I started using the battery box!! I was worried at first as I thought there may be a 99 track limit on it and then it would start recording over the oldest ones, so this has set my mind at rest somewhat!

Hadn't realised SonicStage had a combine feature (that'll be handy down the line!!) - I just opened the first 'track' (in .wav format) into Soundforge and the dropped each subsequent one in after the next- slightly time consuming but there are absolutely no gaps whatsover (Checked the 'joints' in Soundforge with a VERY fine tooth comb!!).

I just uploaded a track into my live recording folder-a good example of how Greenmachines Battery Boxes can help give outstanding results

Edited by deadwing

• 4 weeks later...

An interesting thread as I have just encountered exactly the same thing since I started using the battery box!! I was worried at first as I thought there may be a 99 track limit on it and then it would start recording over the oldest ones, so this has set my mind at rest somewhat!

Hadn't realised SonicStage had a combine feature (that'll be handy down the line!!) - I just opened the first 'track' (in .wav format) into Soundforge and the dropped each subsequent one in after the next- slightly time consuming but there are absolutely no gaps whatsover (Checked the 'joints' in Soundforge with a VERY fine tooth comb!!).

I just uploaded a track into my live recording folder-a good example of how Greenmachines Battery Boxes can help give outstanding results

Try using line in Manuel Vol. set to somethig like 20/30 or even

25/30 for talk or accu. sets.The Sonic Stage has worked fine for me

at times this has happened.