Got my RH1 - First impressions

Rate this topic

McCol

After 3 years of various mp3 players(flash and hdd), I bought a RH1 new and boxed from ebay which arrived yesterday.

Cost me £220 for the silver Japanese model and 10 1gb blank discs.

Used to own 2 sony md players but sold them and tried mp3 players from apple, iriver and creative. Didnt think i would go back to MD until i read about the Rh1 recently. Found that with hdd playrs i was carrying a lot of music i never listened too and with both the flash and hdd never quite got the sound quality i remembered from my MD days.

And that was with using a portable amp with the mp3 players(xin supermini 3).

First impressions of the RH1 are excellent, love the build quality and sturdy feel and the layout of the buttons etc is spot on.

Wasnt sure what file/bitrate to convert my first couple of CD's to, so tried a variety.

First off i converted Open Season by British Sea Power as a direct cd copy(wav?), was amazed by the sound quality, everything sounded so clear and detailed. Next up i converted Morrissey's Ringleader of the tormenters and The Wedding Present CD's Seamonsters and Take Fountain using Atrac Lossless.

Managed to get 2 of these on one of the 1gb discs and to be honest i couldnt tell the difference in sound quality from the cd i had converted using wav.

If i am honest i am a bit confused by the atrac lossless codec. When i transfer the music from SS to the RH1, is it transferring as a lossless file or does it convert to a lower setting? i am assuming its the former.

Next up i tried using my amp with the RH1 and to me there is no noticable increase in sound quality through the line out, if anything it sounds a bit inferior. I assume that this is down to the quality of the inbuilt amp on the RH1. So i wont be needing the xin portable amp anymore.

Not tried the stock earbuds, I've been using my Altac Lansing im716 which are great set of earphones, sometimes difficult to drive with mp3 players(low volume) but no problem with the RH1.

Sorry for the long rambling post but this little marvel of a player has amazed me.

Lol, ramblings are a good way to express yourself. I just got myself a RH1 on Tuesday, so i now how you feel. Right now i am so obsessed about md. I missed the sound quality so much. Iv'e also been using crappy inferior mp3 players. And one day i said to myself "i had enough of this!" so i went to the sony store and told them to order one for me :D and just got it on Tuesday. Anyways i hope you enjoy your RH1 as much as i do.

ps, post some pictures! My pictures are in the pictorials.

there is no lossless compression on the MD itself unfortunately, it always uses a lossy compression (therefore you need to specify a bitrate with the atrac lossless)

I'm a bit confused by the whole lossless/lossy conversion/transfer process.

As i understand it if i convert a cd using wav on SS 3.4, i can transfer this to the RH1 as a exect copy of the CD? but if i use Atrac lossless codec to convert it will then turn it into a lossy atrac for the transfer to my MD, is that right?

I was under the impression that the rh1 could playback atrac lossless files.

nope either full CD quality (PCM) or any of the available lossy compressions, SS offers lossless indeed, but the lossless experience is on the PC only (not on HiMD as it uses a lossy part of the lossless package to transfer)

just do a search on the lossless thing as it is all explained somewhere here on these forums

nope either full CD quality (PCM) or any of the available lossy compressions, SS offers lossless indeed, but the lossless experience is on the PC only (not on HiMD as it uses a lossy part of the lossless package to transfer)

just do a search on the lossless thing as it is all explained somewhere here on these forums

By any chance do you know what Sony players actually can play back Atrac lossless?

I don't think there are portable players that can play atrac lossless (i.e. it is a PC only format)... but I'm not sure so don't quote me on this :lol: ... you could check the atraclife-forum as they have better knowledge on non-MD sony stuff overthere