DH10P at $99?

Rate this topic

nathantw666

what Sony store did you see it for $99? was it online or at an actual physical store? I find it hard to believe, but stranger things have happened. If it's true, it's the deal of the century.

It was a physical store. So you're saying I should just buy it? I wasn't sure whether I should or not.

^ it's probably a REFURBISHED model....but for $99, is very UNBELIVEABLE.

nope, brand new. It had a card "regularly $259, now $99."

nathan... if that is correct, just buy the darn thing... even if you do not like it yourself you will definitely be able to sell it on for more than $99

Edited by The Low Volta

nathan... if that is correct, just buy the darn thing... even if you do not like it yourself you will definitely be able to sell it on for more than $99

that's what I was thinking. I didn't buy it the moment I saw it because I figured it didn't record or anything like that and the camera was "only" 1.3MP so I'd leave it for someone that would "love it." However, now that I read how everyone is loves theirs perhaps I'll just pick up what I can.

I actually like those new green USB players that they just came out with and I was debating whether I should pick one of those up instead of the DH10 since they had both of them in stock. That sentence alone should give you an idea of where I saw the $99 deal since there's only one place you can get a new green Sony USB player.

that's what I was thinking. I didn't buy it the moment I saw it because I figured it didn't record or anything like that and the camera was "only" 1.3MP so I'd leave it for someone that would "love it." However, now that I read how everyone is loves theirs perhaps I'll just pick up what I can.

I actually like those new green USB players that they just came out with and I was debating whether I should pick one of those up instead of the DH10 since they had both of them in stock. That sentence alone should give you an idea of where I saw the $99 deal since there's only one place you can get a new green Sony USB player.

DUDE, u SHOULD buy 3 of them and keep 1 of them and sell off the other 2 and make a profit on it....

can u buy me one for $99????

That is exactly what lamewing did and I believe he made some profit on eBay.

To tell you the truth I didn't think they were THAT popular.

People also like the DH10P because it is a collectible unit. No other ones have that screen or camera. Finding one at $99, or even under $200, makes it even more popular.

lol what md enthuthiast (is that how you spell it?) wouldn't want a camera built into his md player. i would buy one but im still a student, so money is a big problem for me. also i just bought a RH1 so if im caught walking around with this i'll be dead.......

Edited by Sparda

• 2 weeks later...

^ it's probably a REFURBISHED model....but for $99, is very UNBELIVEABLE.

I was holidaying in Orlando and bought the MZ-DH10P in the Sony Syle shop in Millenina Mall at Millenia Boulevard. It was brand new and it cost me $99.

I have just checked the receipt, unfortunately it does not give a telephone number for the shop. I bought it on 19th sep 06.Hope some of you can contact the shop and are lucky enough to get one.

joek

Edited by joek

lol what md enthuthiast (is that how you spell it?) wouldn't want a camera built into his md player. i would buy one but im still a student, so money is a big problem for me. also i just bought a RH1 so if im caught walking around with this i'll be dead.......

Simple, don't get caught!! Say that the RH1 has morphing capabilities!!

Just having fun,

Bob

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I currently have 2 cons against the DH10P

1 - I have had SEVERAL units that after a while the area to the right of the screen gets kind of sensitive where if you press your thumb there (like when holding it) it will suddenly REBOOT the machine. If you plan to use a remote I suppose it wouldn't be an issue as much. But I fear the soft tiny important buttons may end up getting the NH900 syndrome, but I'm only speculating.

2 - Battery life. If that's important for you, it SUCKS on the DH10P... about 1/3 life of like the EH1 or NH900

The DH10P however does sound spectacular, as all the digital amp-based units. Hope that helps. I still surprisingly use it for the CAMERA a lot! Weird, but it's convenient and beats cell phone cams any day.

Edited by theblueraja

but how is the sound compared to the RH1? And are there any serious con's against it?

The DH10P does sound very good indeed with Atrac. I couldn't tell any difference with the 2 units playing back 256 / 352k tracks. The problem is the DH10P suffers from the slightly deteriorated MP3 playback like other 2nd gen Hi-MD (but is the only 2nd gen MP3 enabled Hi-MD player with an HD amp). MP3 will sound markedly better on the RH1.

That's put me off sufficiently, I think I'll wait a bit to see what Sony's 2007 new Hi-MD portable will look and sound like, as well-sourced rumours seem to confirm there will indeed be some new portable issued.

Or if I might order another RH1 in an impulsive moment :P .

Sorry, I didn't mean to turn you off the DH10P, it's still a wonderful model, and it has many many pros, I just recently have been more into other units. And I wouldn't count on any more new MD releases from Sony anymore. So get what you like now, and while you can.

Not true in my case. I keep the charging cradle at my desk at work, and listen to it all day - this way, the battery never gets used up, and I get the benefit of looking at the beautiful color screen (which stays on all the time when hooked up to the cradle). I never thought I'd ever get this unit - the camera just seemed like a waste. I was wrong. This is by far my favorite unit and the camera is truly amazing. It's actually much easier to use than my actual digital camera. The MZ-DH10P is definitley a unique and marvelous machine. Not to mention - I'm still amazed at the sound quality.

@the wizard of oz:DH10P is for collector mainly .

i actually saw this deal at the sonystyle store in copley plaza in boston, ma. i picked one up for $99 and sold it for profit on ebay. they had 6 when i bought one. i should have bought them all. next week, they were all gone.

These type of acts sicken me... reminds me of when I almost bought a dream house to live in, only to be outbid by an INVESTOR... It's no wonder Sony would jack the price back up after realizing people were making PROFITS off of their units. Meanwhile the 'little guy' who wants to enjoy the product for a great price misses out. I would have bought 2 units as spares.

These type of acts sicken me... reminds me of when I almost bought a dream house to live in, only to be outbid by an INVESTOR... It's no wonder Sony would jack the price back up after realizing people were making PROFITS off of their units. Meanwhile the 'little guy' who wants to enjoy the product for a great price misses out. I would have bought 2 units as spares.

And, instead of letting more little guys get a DH10P for $99, you would rather deprive 2 of those little guys from a nice product at a great price by hoarding/stashing/collecting extras for yourself. :lol: With your line of logic, they're still missing out - lol.

• 2 years later...

I currently have 2 cons against the DH10P

1 - I have had SEVERAL units that after a while the area to the right of the screen gets kind of sensitive where if you press your thumb there (like when holding it) it will suddenly REBOOT the machine. If you plan to use a remote I suppose it wouldn't be an issue as much. But I fear the soft tiny important buttons may end up getting the NH900 syndrome, but I'm only speculating.

2 - Battery life. If that's important for you, it SUCKS on the DH10P... about 1/3 life of like the EH1 or NH900

The DH10P however does sound spectacular, as all the digital amp-based units. Hope that helps. I still surprisingly use it for the CAMERA a lot! Weird, but it's convenient and beats cell phone cams any day.

I had this exact same problem with my DH10P. Bought second hand for £85. Whenever you handled the player it rebooted itself. Some part of the casing seemed very sensitive to touch, and it sometimes took up to 20 attemps to get it to boot into photo taking mode, as you were holding it in your hand it just kept rebooting and coming back on in music mode even when the lens cover was open. Yesterday I took all the screws out of it and tried to get inside to see what the matter might be. I pulled and prised a bit on the case, but couldn't get into it and was scared of breaking it, so I eased it back together and replaced the screws. It now seems to be CURED! You can hold it and squeeze it and it stays on, no problem. Open the lens cover and take a photo straight away. I remember why I used to love it now, after not using it for a year due to its fault. Time will only tell if it stays as good as this.

Oh by the way, battery life is still very poor. I think thats just the way DH10 are.

I had this exact same problem with my DH10P. Bought second hand for £85. Whenever you handled the player it rebooted itself. Some part of the casing seemed very sensitive to touch, and it sometimes took up to 20 attemps to get it to boot into photo taking mode, as you were holding it in your hand it just kept rebooting and coming back on in music mode even when the lens cover was open. Yesterday I took all the screws out of it and tried to get inside to see what the matter might be. I pulled and prised a bit on the case, but couldn't get into it and was scared of breaking it, so I eased it back together and replaced the screws. It now seems to be CURED! You can hold it and squeeze it and it stays on, no problem. Open the lens cover and take a photo straight away. I remember why I used to love it now, after not using it for a year due to its fault. Time will only tell if it stays as good as this.

Oh by the way, battery life is still very poor. I think thats just the way DH10 are.

Holy THREAD REVIVALS, Batman!!

Very glad you chimed in! And I'm so surprised by your "cured" story :o ... makes me totally regret selling off all of my DH10Ps :( I only have 1 left, and I use it primarily as a camera. I'd like to know EXACTLY how much of it you took apart, how hard it was, and exactly what you did.... it may be worth trying on mine, since it has the issues mentioned above.

Well first let me mention that this evening I found this partly pointless but interesting thread about opening a DH10P:

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showt...h10+volume+hack

If I had seen that thread yesterday I would have certainly got right into my DH10, but perhaps what I did was enough anyway.

All I did was remove 5! of the 6 screws detailed in his diagrams. The reason for that being that I had not noticed the screw semi-hidden where the carry strap attaches to (it must have been that screw that prevented me from opening it). But I also removed the 2 screws on the USB connecter edge of the unit and the 1 accessible screw in the side of the loading mechanism visible above the battery door when the clamshell is open.

I did not have any idea which side of the machine the fault may have been in so I was simply tying to get into any or both sides of the machine whereas the diagrams are just for getting into the lens side of the machine.

After removing the screws I prised the sides apart on all edges as much as I could. The dial-side of the machine moved away from the loading housing by a very little amount only at the side where the screw had been removed. The lens side moved away quite a bit and with the lens cover open I could see that as I levered the casing away, the lens and flash were retracting (getting left behind) as the casing moved away from the internals. I prised it as much as I dared before getting scared that something might break. Obviously it was the remaining screw that was stopping it coming right off as per the diagrams. As I was at work and couldnt spend too much time I just eased it back together and put all the screws back, thinking I'll have another look later. Hey presto, it now works perfectly and I have done virtually nothing to it.

Well I guess I'm glad I didn't get around to opening mine yet... I have a feeling this unit is destined to fail. Such a shame, as it was truly the pinnacle of MD player-only units. I guess like any electronic device that tries to cram too many functions into one thing its going to have issues. Well, as far as more mechanical devices go (DVD/VHS combo units, etc.).

Keep us posted, nevertheless.

Edited by theblueraja

• 2 weeks later...

I have now performed the volume hack on it. Using the HOLD, then key sequence method had no effect on my DH10P, so I actually did have to use Neffi's method of shorting the service contacts on the main cirrcuit board, but it was very easy and worked a treat.

I've really had it stripped down further today. Managed to get into the front side as well this time, the side which has the screen on it. I didn't dare go in there before. The rebooting syndrome seems to have no regualrity to it. When the machine is in pieces its almost impossible to make it do it, and even when it does, there doesnt seem to be any specific place you touch it that makes it do it. I have put it all back together now and can't make it do the rebooting thing at all now, but I haven't actually done anything more than take it to bits and put it back together. Lets see how long it lasts this time.