SonicStage and Vista - works?

Rate this topic

Petter156

Some of you might remember the SonicStage problems I desribed here awhile ago. Somehow my install (on Win2000) got so screwed up that installing 4.0 or even re-installing older versions after that was impossible. On this Windows install, SonicStage doesn´t work - pure and simple.

Solution (the only one I could think of): complete Windows re-install. Sad but true.

Now I´m wondering; has anyone tried installing/using the newest (or 3.4 for that matter) version of SonicStage on Windows Vista (RC1?)?

Since I´m forced to do a Windows re-install I figured I might as well give Vista a try at the smae time. If things work, I might stick with Vista awhile and I just wanted to ask if anyone has any experience to share.

Thanks.

Now I´m wondering; has anyone tried installing/using the newest (or 3.4 for that matter) version of SonicStage on Windows Vista (RC1?)?

Thanks.

Somewhat related... the SonicStage Connect store does not work under IE 7, which is part of Vista. So maybe compatability with Vista / IE 7 will come with a future version of SS.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I have just bought a MD-RH1 and I have Windows vista. I can tell you that sonicstage 3,4 did not work. First I installed 3,4 and that did not work, after that I downloaded 4,0 and that worked once but afterwards the program continued telling me about this problem: "The selected music file cannot be played back because the system information has been changed. Click OK to automatically close SonicStage and open the SonicStage System Information Restore Tool. (Error Code 0004e2e)"

The Restore Tool does not help me.

If anybody has any experience with this problem and know how to solve it let me please know.

Herbert - Denmark

Hello

I have just bought a MD-RH1 and I have Windows vista. I can tell you that sonicstage 3,4 did not work. First I installed 3,4 and that did not work, after that I downloaded 4,0 and that worked once but afterwards the program continued telling me about this problem: "The selected music file cannot be played back because the system information has been changed. Click OK to automatically close SonicStage and open the SonicStage System Information Restore Tool. (Error Code 0004e2e)"

The Restore Tool does not help me.

If anybody has any experience with this problem and know how to solve it let me please know.

Herbert - Denmark

We had the same problem with version 4.0 in Windows Vista RC1 5600, the same exact error message. After installing (the programm ONLY runs with NO Xp Sp2 compatibility -!!!-) we successfully built the library and after importing 3-5 songs the programm stuck and we had to force quit it, on the next launch we got the error. Then, after restoring the vista (with windows restore) to the last point of the sonic installation (install SonicStage After Care tool) , it worked succesfully till we almost filled the device with 20Gb music, then while copying it stuck again and, failed to run again with the same error message. it seems that every time you have to force quit the programm it vorrupts some database files. You will not loose the library scan after the restore though. We will try to restore manually the whole Sony folder in programm files (from a manual copy) to see if this works.

good luck

• 2 weeks later...

I´ve never done this. What does it mean?

What if I don´t use SonicStage as a music library at all? I mainly use it to convert tracks to ATRAC and transfer them to MD´s. Has there been issues with the actual transfering?

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Au...dio-Codec.shtml

the above link may help you to convert music files to ATRAC. The SonicStage scans the disk and builds the library. Our sony device cannot play any music file if it is not imported to SonicStage library and then transferred (through sonicstage only, again) to the device. Sony forces you to use their program, even if you want to play simple Mp3's in your device.

the above link may help you to convert music files to ATRAC. The SonicStage scans the disk and builds the library.
This I know. And I´ve converted files to ATRAC (and then transfered them) with SonicStage before. But I never allow the app to scan the hard-drive and build a library. After reading about how SS works and some careful consideration, I decided not to use the program in this fashion.

So if I only temporarily bring in (import) single files of music into SonicStage, convert them to ATRAC and transfer them to my RH10 - would this work? Or perhaps a more precise question; has anyone experiended issues when using the program in this manner?

The long story short is that it works, but of course we're trying this on a beta version of the OS. It's fun to test (well, fun for some crazy people) but of course you wouldn't want to use this setup on any kind of "production" system for all your important recordings.
Could you please elaborate on how you got it to work? I´m getting the same error message as 'boersma' with both SS 3.4 and 4.0. Using Vista RC2.

(the programm ONLY runs with NO Xp Sp2 compatibility -!!!-)
How do I set this up?

This I know. And I´ve converted files to ATRAC (and then transfered them) with SonicStage before. But I never allow the app to scan the hard-drive and build a library. After reading about how SS works and some careful consideration, I decided not to use the program in this fashion.

So if I only temporarily bring in (import) single files of music into SonicStage, convert them to ATRAC and transfer them to my RH10 - would this work? Or perhaps a more precise question; has anyone experiended issues when using the program in this manner?

Thats how I use it too.

Unless you want to play with it out of curiosity I wouldn't worry (yet) about Vista. Sony will probably do an update for SSS to work with it, for their MP3 players and HiMD will get it by default.

Well it´s not just curiosity. I´m really enjoying Vista compared to Windows 2000, and the trial license is good until summer -07. So I was hoping to continue using this version, but not with lacking support from software vendors.

Using a OS beta you have to expect problems with applications not supporting it. Which is why some people and most companies won't switch for some after the OS is finally released. Some will wait for the first Service pack.

Well no, I´m not expecting any miracles from a release candidate (not a beta-version anymore) - but it would be nice if companies were quicker in getting their software adapted. A RC release is after all feature complete.

Well, an RC *should* be feature complete, but companies have a nasty habit of making last second changes. The most relevant one I can remember is when Microsoft changed the CD-burning interface between (I believe) Windows 2000 RC2 and RC3, causing all of the early "Windows 2000 compatible" CD burning applications to fail spectacularly (blue screens, etc) on RC3 and the retail copies.

I think that experience has caused a LOT of companies to really hold back until actual, final, "gold" code is available before claiming compatibility with a newer OS.

• 7 months later...

Hi!

I use MZ-NH1 for 3 years. Under Windows XP i did't have any problems with SS, but after installing Vista Ultimate X64 i've met some problems. Actually SS 4.3 works with my OS. But when playing audio (neither converted to ATRAC3Plus or not) there's terrible growling sound. It's impossible to listen that. Other players like WMP 11, WinAMP 5.35 etc works properly with all the audio formats. After tranfering tracks to NH1 device through this SS 4.3 -->> same effect! Terribly growling and frying!

What can i do?

Edited by nickel

• 7 months later...

Hi!

I use MZ-NH1 for 3 years. Under Windows XP i did't have any problems with SS, but after installing Vista Ultimate X64 i've met some problems. Actually SS 4.3 works with my OS. But when playing audio (neither converted to ATRAC3Plus or not) there's terrible growling sound. It's impossible to listen that. Other players like WMP 11, WinAMP 5.35 etc works properly with all the audio formats. After tranfering tracks to NH1 device through this SS 4.3 -->> same effect! Terribly growling and frying!

What can i do?

Same to you, but I'm in China, and I use a Chinese Simplified version, I think this problem is the same, and it related to the core of software, like SonicStage, But, I use many different version from 2.1, 3.4, 4.0, 4.3, and I think version 2.1 may be the best choice for you, since I used it for a long time and few problem happened to my system, though I didn't use Vista, What's more, in my opion, Vista is a rubbish except its beautifull themes and windows. :closedeyes: