MZ-RH1 owners....

Rate this topic

rich1068

I've recently found that 'Holy Grail' of car head unit adaptors that allows me to not only play tracks that are on my Sony NW-HD3 but also have functionality through the OEM head unit. And guess what? It also works with my MZ-N710. I can navigate through tracks and albums via the h/u plus the MD player powers up and down as required. No fishing about in the glovebox or where ever.

So my request is this. Are there any MZ-RH1 owners in the Yorkshire area that would let me pop round and see if their new toy works with my new gizmo?

Cheers all :)

Do you mind sharing with us what is this adaptor would be?

Oh right. Sorry, that would have been helpful wouldn't it?

The adapter is available here http://www.caraudioplus.co.uk/iPod_%26_Por...Network_Walkman

The manufacturers website is here http://www.connects2.co.uk/c2search.aspx?catID=15 but it's commercial sales only. They may or may not respond to queries from members of the public.

To explain a little further, I already had an adapter fitted to my Audi but had no functionality through the head unit due to it connecting just to the 3.5mm headphone socket on my NW-HD3. If I'd bought a bloody iPod I'd be OK with eg one of Dension's products but support for Sony as you know is poor. This adapter has the same connector as the remotes hence the ability to control via the head unit.

I've recently found that 'Holy Grail' of car head unit adaptors that allows me to not only play tracks that are on my Sony NW-HD3 but also have functionality through the OEM head unit. And guess what? It also works with my MZ-N710. I can navigate through tracks and albums via the h/u plus the MD player powers up and down as required. No fishing about in the glovebox or where ever.

So my request is this. Are there any MZ-RH1 owners in the Yorkshire area that would let me pop round and see if their new toy works with my new gizmo?

Cheers all :)

Hi,

I have a RH1 and live in Leeds. You're welcome to try it out. Naturally..if it busts the dam thing..you'll have to buy it! :blink:

Cheers

Orion

That's very kind of you. Thank you very much :) (Actually it's not kind of you at all, if it works I have a feeling I'll be 200+ notes lighter after a little trip to Vicar Lane :( )

There's no danger of the unit being damaged. Basically if the headphone/remote connection on your MZ-RH1 is the same as on my MZ-N710 and NW-HD3 (which I guess it will be) then it's just a case of whether my head unit and your player will 'talk' to each other. Basic functionality is all I'm after ie backwards and forwards through tracks or albums and the unit powering down when I turn off my ignition.

Again, thank you and I'll be in touch.

For it to work, my car radio has to have a CD changer connector, right?

Is your vehicle and head unit not listed on the Connects2 or CarAudioPlus websites?

Edit: Actually I've just seen that the CarAudioPlus site does mention MD Walkmans

Supported Sony HD and MD models:

Sony NW-HD1

Sony NW-HD3

Sony NW-HD5

Sony MD WALKMAN

Edited by rich1068

Well I have read all the info on the sites you usefully posted links of, but from what I gather, the factory car radio of my vehicle has to have a CD changer connector (which I don't think it has, as its a pretty simple tuner/tape deck with auxiliary 3.5 line in jack only at the front) and the specific model of my Renault car is not exactly listed, as being an earlier (but nicer) model of the Laguna.

I guess I'd better off with buying a cheap Sony car radio with CD changer capability and Sony car radio MD walkman adaptor from CarAudioPlus. Like an investment, and convenient for when upgrade my ride.

But do those sites deliver to the UK only?

For functionality through the head unit then I would say that yes, your radio must have the option to add a CD changer. A head unit and CD changer have to be able to talk to each other, these adapters just fool your head unit into thinking a changer has been connected. And I found this regarding delivery http://www.incar-support.com/esupport/inde...ation%3C%2Fa%3E

Now then. On to other matters. Can I just say thank you very much to Orion for inviting me up to Leeds to try his MZ-RH1 with my new car audio set up. (Sorry for leaving sweaty finger marks all over your new toy btw :( ) I can confirm that the unit does indeed work and it seemed to offer the same functionality as I get using my NW-HD3. Yay!

Care to add anything Orion?

For functionality through the head unit then I would say that yes, your radio must have the option to add a CD changer. A head unit and CD changer have to be able to talk to each other, these adapters just fool your head unit into thinking a changer has been connected. And I found this regarding delivery http://www.incar-support.com/esupport/inde...ation%3C%2Fa%3E

Now then. On to other matters. Can I just say thank you very much to Orion for inviting me up to Leeds to try his MZ-RH1 with my new car audio set up. (Sorry for leaving sweaty finger marks all over your new toy btw :( ) I can confirm that the unit does indeed work and it seemed to offer the same functionality as I get using my NW-HD3. Yay!

Care to add anything Orion?

Nice piece of kit Rich. Does what it says on the tin. In car Mini disc sounds great. :D

Can't find those finger marks. Must have evaporated in the midday sun!

:D

All the best

Orion

In car Mini disc sounds great. :D

I thought so too. Oddly I think even my NW-HD3 sounds better with this kit than it did using my previous adaptor. I used to have to set the NW-HD3 to 'Line Out' but with the Connects2 unit that option disappears from the menu, as it did on your MZ-RH1. Doesn't make any sense but hey ho...

Anyhoo, roll on October 2nd. I'll find out then whether my wife is getting me the MZ-RH1 for my birthday (I've dropped enough hints for god's sake!) or I have to go and get one myself.

Is it just me or does anyone else think Mrs.rich1068 is missing the point when she says 'But you don't need one'.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Mrs.rich1068 obviously took the hint and I got my new uber gadget on Monday :D

Lovely piece of kit (the player :blink: ) and it's now all hooked up in the car. I've only had chance to do 1 disc so far (impressed with the transfer time in SS btw) and even though they're 192 kbps mp3 files I'm very impressed. A mate's coming round tonight with his Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro (whatever they are) and I'll be interested to see what he thinks too.

I'll post up some pics of it in the car when I get chance.

Lovely piece of kit (the player :blink: ) and it's now all hooked up in the car. I've only had chance to do 1 disc so far (impressed with the transfer time in SS btw) and even though they're 192 kbps mp3 files I'm very impressed. A mate's coming round tonight with his Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro (whatever they are) and I'll be interested to see what he thinks too.

They're earbuds, basically. $250 intra-aurals (they go right into the ear canal, as opposed to sitting outside e.g. like the Sennheiser MX-series or the Sony 'standard' earbuds); see http://www.ultimateears.com/superfi/item__...__prod-979.html

He must be rich - no way I'd spend that much on a pair of earbuds... Are they made from solid gold or something? :D

Hi Everyone

I'm the friend with the Super.Fi's...

Rich is right, I was massively impressed with the SQ and delivery that the MZ-RH1 gives. Very authorative sound, punchy, deep, open and clear. I'd love to hear what it can do with PCM, as I could only listen to a 192kbps MP3 on Rich's device yesterday.

I think it must have a lot to do with the choice of amplifier built in to the unit.

I'm going to put together a few test tracks that I know well (in WAV format) and I plan on listening to the tracks back to back on each device using the super-fi's and then also using the line out on both devices, plugged in to my Meier Audio Corda HA-1 MKII headphone amplifier and my Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro's.

I'll post my findings on here. I am pretty sure that the Minidisc will sound better out of the headphone socket, but I am very interested in hearing the output through line-out from both.

Oh, and the RH1 is such a beautiful looking device... Beats any iPod all over the place!!

:)

Hey Josh! Nice to see you. Welcome to the forum.

I did wonder if you'd been giving the MZ-RH1 some thought. lol! Be strong Josh.

And btw, when are you planning on doing all this...'I'm going to put together a few test tracks that I know well (in WAV format) and I plan on listening to the tracks back to back on each device using the super-fi's and then also using the line out on both devices, plugged in to my Meier Audio Corda HA-1 MKII headphone amplifier and my Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro's.' ??

Edited by rich1068

I'd hope so for that price!

Anyway, pics. Sorry but photography really is not my strong point.

I am planning to move your pictorial post into our "Pictorial/Review" section of the forum. Could you consolidate your impressions/review within this thread into the "picture" post (post #18)? Thanks for taking the time to share with us this interesting piece. Cheers. ;)