A Question About the 1GB Hi-MD

Rate this topic

foodmart

Alright, I tried searching the forums first and I must not have been using the right terminology coz I just didn't get much, but I'm curious, do any of the 1 gb MD's come with the radio dongle? My old MD (don't know the model number, its blue, a few years old) came with the radio dongle and I thought it was a brillant addition, even tho is zapped the battery life. I used both the dongle and the MD equally now. I want to upgrade to a 1gb player, but I'm disturbed that no sites mention an am/fm player coming with the minidisc. Does the input still exist for my radio dongle? If I buy the player can I still use it? Or do I have to sacrifice am/fm radio for 1gb use?

The Sony Hi-MD (or "1GB MD") units, NH700 and NHF800, can both use the radio remotes, (MC37LT or MC39LT) or "dongle." ;) Search for the ones in bold and you may get more information from this forum. Good luck!

Well, apparently, that's what I'll have to get then. The shipping costs are probably gonna kill me. I was sorta hoping the MZ-RH910 would accept the dongle, but I can't find anyone who says it does and all the pictures of it on the internet don't show the correct side of the player! Ah well, thanks for your help. (and thanks for the model numbers on the remotes, that will help me in the future).

I was sorta hoping the MZ-RH910 would accept the dongle, but I can't find anyone who says it does and all the pictures of it on the internet don't show the correct side of the player!

Unfortunately, Hi-MD-wise, only the NH700 and NHF800 can use the tuner remotes. The RH910 and others can't accomodate the radio remote's "prongs."

radio remote plug (courtesy of a German MD forum):

IPB Image

non-radio remote plug (courtesy of Ishii at MDCF):

IPB Image

(The RH10 and RH910 are similar except for the OLED display.)

Happy shopping! Hopefully, the forum can point out different e-tailers to get a Hi-MD unit to you at a reasonable price.

Thanks for the picture! LOL... Now, my heart is settled. I can't believe in 1985, everybody I knew who had a walkman had a AM/FM radio on it, now, you can't get anything with one! In fact, "they" want you to buy a completely separate portable unit w/ a radio! Like I don't have enough crap that I carry around with me.

Alright, that's it. I'm done ranting. Yeah, I've already found a good deal on one of the players. Thanks!

Jaylen, are you sure the NH700 can use the AM/FM tuner remotes? I have both the 700 and 800 and - unless I'm missing something - I recall the 800's remote as being incompatible with every other Hi-MD unit.

peace

WaywardTraveller

Please post a pic of the NH700 jack up close, Traveller. That way we can tell for sure.
I have just snapped my NH700 :-

IPB ImageIPB Image

HtH

Edited by Mr_Bass_Man

Jaylen, are you sure the NH700 can use the AM/FM tuner remotes? I have both the 700 and 800 and - unless I'm missing something - I recall the 800's remote as being incompatible with every other Hi-MD unit.

A440 and Mr_Bass_Man: Thanks for the back-up.

Wayward: The first pic that I linked is of an NHF800, which as you can see from Mr_Bass_Man's pics, has the same remote port as the NH700. Using radio remotes with both the NH700/F800 is old news on this forum. ;)

A440 and Mr_Bass_Man: Thanks for the back-up.

Wayward: The first pic that I linked is of an NHF800, which as you can see from Mr_Bass_Man's pics, has the same remote port as the NH700. Using radio remotes with both the NH700/F800 is old news on this forum. ;)

Unfortunately, since I've been on the road for months now, my NHF800 is at home, and since China locks down all its net cafes so that you can't even use USB flash drives (let alone hook up a digital camera - seriously), I have/had no way of making sure for myself.

peace

WaywardTraveller

This news has been out and confirmed on forums since March 2006. But, it's OK. Go ahead and blame the Communists. :P

lol yeah, that'll teach me for not reading every single thread on the Minidisc Forums before venturing an opinion on something. Guess I was out doing non-nerd/technical things...like, ohh, getting sunlight, kissing girls, etc. :P

peace

WaywardTraveller

lol yeah, that'll teach me for not reading every single thread on the Minidisc Forums before venturing an opinion on something. Guess I was out doing non-nerd/technical things...like, ohh, getting sunlight, kissing girls, etc. :P

peace

WaywardTraveller

i'm not entirely sure you fit in here buddy... but we're all jealous!

peace

WaywardTraveller

Dude. I was playing around. I even added a tongue-sticking-out smiley to show that. Ah, the smileys get no respect anymore... And for future reference, I don't kiss girls. Well, only if I've had enough to drink and dared/bribed. (KIDDING)

Seriously though, not to be a drag, but your question to me was if I was certain whether or not the radio remotes work with the NH700. A simple "search" on the forum (or T-Board even) would've answered your question without the need for you to go home and check your own unit. :P And, you wouldn't have to read every single thread.

Dude. I was playing around. I even added a tongue-sticking-out smiley to show that. Ah, the smileys get no respect anymore... And for future reference, I don't kiss girls. Well, only if I've had enough to drink and dared/bribed. (KIDDING)

Seriously though, not to be a drag, but your question to me was if I was certain whether or not the radio remotes work with the NH700. A simple "search" on the forum (or T-Board even) would've answered your question without the need for you to go home and check your own unit. :P And, you wouldn't have to read every single thread.

I was tongue-in-cheek too, as evidenced by my own tongue-sticking-out smiley :D.

But at the risk of making this more important than it actually is (which it already is), when I looked in to it before posting I was using the minidisc.org Equipment Browser, which didn't say anything about remotes. I always Search before asking questions, and have usually had my questions answered well enough...but that, combined with my assumed knowledge, let me to question a post here. Oh, well. I'll know better next time.

re: the two responses to "my reading every single thread"....apparently not only smileys, but sarcasm gets no respect anymore either...lol :P

peace

WaywardTraveller

:lol: Haha, touche. We both sound like this guy now:

IPB Image

I'm with you on that Equipment Browser. It needs to be looked over more carefully especially since a lot of us use that as reference. Hopefully, with the new Wiki format in the works, the oversights will be fixed.

lol :lol:

I really hope you're right...the Equipment Browser is a great idea; I don't know about the Wiki interface, but I hope there's space for the entries to be modified/commented on blog-style by users who actually own the units.

peace

WaywardTraveller