Is my _new_ ebay RM-MC40ELK remote backlight broken?

Rate this topic

peterkar

I just received an RM-MC40ELK remote that I bought from an ebay seller.

I'm using it with my MZ-NHF800 unit. Everything works except I have no backlight. Unfortunately, the backlight is the one thing I really need.

I searched around here first and I get the impression that I should see a backlit display without really having to set anything up. Am I missing something or did I get a dud remote?

Thanks,

--Peter

You can try entering the menu on your remote by pressing and holding down the scroll wheel for a few seconds. Scroll to "Option" and press on the scroll wheel to select. Then, check if "Backlight" is "On, Auto, or Off."

Do you have any other MD units that you could test with it? The 40ELK can be used with older models. I just tested it out on a non-Hi-MD player, the E720, and the backlight works. Maybe someone with the 40ELK + NHF800 combination can try it out for you. Sometimes not all functions of the remote will work with every unit, although I'm thinking the backlight should work.

Good luck.

Thanks for the input. The problem is, the 800 doesn't have a backlight option anywhere in the menus. Hence my confusion.

I have an old R50 and an R70 buried around the house somewhere. I'll have to find them and try the remote on those old chestnuts and see what happens.

Has anyone out there actually used this remote with the 800?

--Peter

Edited by peterkar

indeed, raintheory...that was what I thought as well... but I was actually replying to peterkar (not to bland's correct remark) as I believed that the former didn't know this yet ... hence his remark:

The problem is, the 800 doesn't have a backlight option anywhere in the menus. Hence my confusion

I just formulated it as a question because I couldn't check this at the moment and I didn't want to give wrong info... sorry for the further confusion...

in short: @ peterkar... just go to the menus with the remote and check the backlight settings there

I suspect the remote is defective. I use it with the NHF800 all the time, though I don't have the unit with me at the moment, and I don't remember ever having to set anything on the unit. When you click the wheel or push any buttons, the backlight just lights up.

I do have my NH600D with me, and it's the same thing: plug it in, hit a button, it lights.

Oddly enough, the Display button on the remote is also labeled Backlight, but I can't find any menus. Clicking it goes through the various displays.

And since you're navigating menus with the remote, obviously the remote's hold switch isn't on. You might want to click that switch back and forth a few times, just to make sure that it's connecting fully.

Edit: Just for the heck of it, I tried the remote with my MZ-N707. Backlight goes on with that, too.

Edited by A440

Oddly enough, the Display button on the remote is also labeled Backlight, but I can't find any menus. Clicking it goes through the various displays.

I think that's the old single press / long press thing. Same as the jog dial being labelled Navi / Menu. There is also a kind of small dot and a long dash next to the labels. If you press the Display button once it cycles through the display. If you hold it in, it just puts on the backlight without changing the display. Likewise you have to hold the jog dial in to get to the menu.

I just PM'd you but no, the NHF800 does not have the menu option to change backlight options like the RH10. It just works on what I beleive is auto mode. It turns on while you are using it then shuts off after a few seconds of non-use. If the remote is plugged in properly then I beleive the backlight is defective.

Though it does indeed sound like the remote is not working right, you should try to use it on another unit just to be sure before condemning the remote.

Because there is a chance there could be something wrong with your NHF800's remote port which is causing the problem. Might not be likely, but it's possible. If you can find one of those old chesnut (LOL) MD units of yours, you might want to try it out on those too. (Edit: Actually the R50 won't turn on the backlight on any remote, so see if you can test it on the R70 maybe...)

I'm using it with my MZ-NHF800 unit. Everything works except I have no backlight. Unfortunately, the backlight is the one thing I really need.

I searched around here first and I get the impression that I should see a backlit display without really having to set anything up. Am I missing something or did I get a dud remote?

Thanks,

--Peter

Hi,

I have a MZ-NH600 with a RM-MC35ELK remote with backlight. When I first got it, it only lit up at the start for about 10 seconds, then would only light up when I pressed a button or changed the volume. I now know that this is auto mode. I too did not have access to the Backlight option, until I was doing the HACK to raise the output volume. This is availible in the technical section. I changed line 113 to 25 and not only did it raise the volume but the Option for Backlight is now availible on the remote. Here is the link.

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=5

Thanks,

--Peter

Hi,http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=7434

this is a better link and easier to follow to get your remote Backlight to work. Look at the first two messages, for instructions.