Charging the RH1 off the computer

Rate this topic

dunebug81

When I plug in the RH1 to my computer the walkman logo appears and checks the disc and goes to standby mode. the battery indicator comes up for a second and shows that its filling up but goes away and i dont know if the batty continues to charge or not. the last 2 shows i went to i had only half battery life....any suggestions?

A charger should have come with the unit, in three pieces: cord, Sony recharger box and USB cord.

If you don't have that for some reason, you can also get a charger for a Motorola Razr V3. It will give the same display you're getting with the USB--brief flash of animated "battery charging" icon--and will then fully charge the RH1.

Or, why not try leaving the RH1 connected to your computer overnight and see if it recharges? I'd be curious about the results of that experiment.

Ya I have the wall charger but its nice just charging it from the computer. I had it plugged into a USB hub and last night i pluged it straight into the computer and it looks like it is now fully charged. I guess the usb hub doesnt give it enough juice to charge. Thanks for the reply.

Ya I have the wall charger but its nice just charging it from the computer. I had it plugged into a USB hub and last night i pluged it straight into the computer and it looks like it is now fully charged. I guess the usb hub doesnt give it enough juice to charge. Thanks for the reply.

Tbe manual says *not* to plug the USB cable into a USB hub, but directly into a USB port on the computer. Funny thing, those manuals. I will say that there is a lot of information tucked away in the manual's "fine print" which should be more prominent.

Tbe manual says *not* to plug the USB cable into a USB hub, but directly into a USB port on the computer. Funny thing, those manuals. I will say that there is a lot of information tucked away in the manual's "fine print" which should be more prominent.

Thanks for this info. I've been plugging it into a USB hub and wondering whether it's being charged up this way...

I originally had it plugged into the PC when I got it but my 2 front USB ports went out on my mobo so I had to go to the hub. I guess the ipod will have to find a new home to plug into.

Plug the iPod into the hub and give the MD the port the iPod was plugged into?

You can get USB PCI cards fairly cheaply - in the USA probably about $20 if not less.

"really easy" depends on who you talk to. drivers can sometimes get complicated.

If you're using Win2k or XP, Windows should just pick up the card and set it up automatically. I've never installed a USB PCI card in an XP or 2K PC and had problems with drivers.

The hardware interface between the CPU and USB is standard - it's called UHCI, OHCI or EHCI (depending on whose hardware you're using). All the PCI->USB chipsets I know of follow one of those standards, and Win2k and XP have drivers for all three built in. It's as close to plug-and-play as you're ever going to get...

Is better remove the rechargeable battery when the RH1 is connected to the PC? the rechargeable battery drops with continues recharging? what is better? Any idea?

The RH1 stops charging when the battery is full. Leaving it on the USB will make it take power from the PC instead of the battery pack.

Edited by philpem

actually the RH1 is always charging until you unplug it. It fast charges it to about 80% then it starts its trickle charge cycle. Trickle charge doesn't stop. i personally take out the battery when i don't intend to charge it. li-ion batteries have only about 300 - 600 charge cycles in them.