Weak MZ-RH1 Anti-Shock

Rate this topic

dogville

May be you can help me. This afternoon I have gone for a walk with my rh-1. I got it in my pocket hitting softly against my leg as I was walking. The question is that several times, it stopped and took some seconds to sound again. Is the antishock protection of rh-1 so weak?. The counter kept on running but no sound until some seconds later. I guess there's nothing wrong with it because standing still, works perfectly.

Cheers

Ive walked to work with my RH-1 on several occasions. - Its 2 miles there and it takes me about 25-30 minutes.

I have had no problems with gaps or skips on the device during my travels.

Have you tried playing the same piece while completly still and seeing (hearing) if the gaps are still there?

Is this is the case then the disk and/or read/record heads might be at fault...

If its not the case, then just walk more carefully :P

Ive walked to work with my RH-1 on several occasions. - Its 2 miles there and it takes me about 25-30 minutes.

I have had no problems with gaps or skips on the device during my travels.

Have you tried playing the same piece while completly still and seeing (hearing) if the gaps are still there?

Is this is the case then the disk and/or read/record heads might be at fault...

If its not the case, then just walk more carefully :P

i walked a few minutes with my RH1 and haven't experienced any skipping yet.

There is probably nothing wrong with the buffering. I am sure all the units have about the same buffer, at least 40 seconds at the highest bit-rate. The MZ-R50 had that much. It probably has to do with the type of shock you were giving the unit. The only time I have had problems was when the unit could hit my leg. Every step would cause shock. The unit is constantly recovering and the buffer just runs out. If you stop for 10 seconds or so, it will probably be OK for a while. Try to carry it differently, such as a case that clips to a belt or waist of your trousers.

If you carry an MD in a loose leg pocket or jacket pocket then the anti skip will have problems because the unit is always in fluid motion, also walking speed seems to coincide with the unit re-positioning the laser and then just as its about to re-read the area it gets knocked again. Basically the unit cant stand alot of swinging motions but moderate sudden shocks it can cope with alot better.

Best bet is to keep the unit in a snug trouser pocket or hold the unit with your hand while its in a jacket pocket

What works great for me is this pair of tights that has a pocket sown in with a zipper at the back, level with the base of my spine (or slightly below that LOL). As it is flush against the body, and located at a place which doesn't swing much when you walk/run, it works great for me. Maybe you could try sowing in a pocket at this point?

it's not broken, you have to give it sometime to load up the buffer before moving. i tried turning it on while running and it skipped about 15 seconds later. then later on that day i tried turning it on while it wasn't receiving shock and then went for a run, it worked flawlessly.

Mine did that too. I was walking with my case clipped to my belt loop with a carabiner, and it stopped, and would restart again. It's more than likely just experiencing skipping due to the buffer being unable to load a nonskipping section of audio. Completely normal. All modern Sony units have anti-skip, but it isn't infallible.

it happenned to me wit hmy NH1, I solved the problem by using the "hold" button feature. I noticed that when I do that it never stop, but when I don't use the "hold" switch it does happen, I guess sometimes teh walkman just hit my leg and it happens to hit a button also.

Mine did that too. I was walking with my case clipped to my belt loop with a carabiner, and it stopped, and would restart again. It's more than likely just experiencing skipping due to the buffer being unable to load a nonskipping section of audio. Completely normal. All modern Sony units have anti-skip, but it isn't infallible.

Thanks for your answers. I tried today again, but this time in a money pouch with a belt surrounding my waist, and no skipping. It's a relief to know it is not faulty

Edited by dogville

I Believe the MZ-RH1 is weak at preventing skipping too. I have used Minidisc for about 10 years now and I have never had sound drop outs when running with an MD unit. I hold the the unit in my hand so it isn't subjected to much vibration and every so often it stops with the RH1, and doesn't start playing again until I press pause and then pause again. (I have tried stopping to let unit fill buffer, but it never restarts) I this something to do with G-Shock protection? Is this a mechanism to sense large shocks and shuts the unit down??

My MZ-R3, R50 never had a problem. the R50 had 40 seconds of buffer, the RH1 has about 3 - 4 minutes of buffer at 256kbps! I am wondering if because the Hi-MD format is harder to read then it has a harder job during vibration. If I record Hi-SP to normal, 80min discs, it is less susceptible to skipping.

Lion

After 2 months of use, my "new" RH1 skips during playback.It's star with little skips during the current track, afther that the sounds interrupt continuesly.To solve this I must to stop the current track and replay.

I prove to cleening the lens, whit a cleening disk, but it ocurrs again.

I trie with another disk and also the same, etiher wiht Hi-Md or Normal MD sad.gif .

It's happend after a few minutes of playing disk, and wiht no order of track, maiby after 20-30 minutes of playing the disk.

My old MZ-NHF800 don't doo that, I think that this is a fault.

(it happend also wen the unit is not affected by a shock, i.e on a table, and also whit the hold swicht turned on or off)