MZ-RH1 Eject Button

Rate this topic

dogville

lol, no one said they wanted to, but instead that its possible if you absolutely must eject it while its operating. Or did you mean how do you know you can eject it while its playing, you must have tried it? I have accidently opened it once or twice before.

still why would any one want to? unless there's something wrong with the unit.

I think what hes getting at is that "is it really true that the rh1 can open by it self", maybe he wants to confirm it so in the future he can be more careful about it or maybe he is just plain curious. I think sony should really look into this, as the rh1 is the only one that i know of that has this weird design problem.

the other minidisc players are unable to eject while operating. since we are at it, the should also allow title viewing on the unit, surely they can combine both screens to display titles.

I think what hes getting at is that "is it really true that the rh1 can open by it self", maybe he wants to confirm it so in the future he can be more careful about it or maybe he is just plain curious. I think sony should really look into this, as the rh1 is the only one that i know of that has this weird design problem.

the other minidisc players are unable to eject while operating. since we are at it, the should also allow title viewing on the unit, surely they can combine both screens to display titles.

as far the title viewing, i agree...it shouldnt be remote dependent. i much rather have the titles than that spectrum analyzer.

why would u want to eject the disc while it is still playing? that may damage the recorder.

On the contrary, it would be great if the rh-1 won't open accidentally due to that possible damage . The problem of this MD is exactly that; it's quite easy, not just to open but starting the playback from the beginning due to this awfully built button on pressing a bit.

regards

Totally agree with you. After some months of use, I must say that there are one very positve thing about this machine: IT SOUNDS GREAT. Unfortunately, the construction is really very very very disapointing as far as operation is concerned. Two main facts make me think this way:

1/ The awful eject button

2/ Everything must be done through the remote.

Although it seems I'm totally disapointed with the purchase, it's not so much, believe me. May be in spite of the good sound I should have thought it over before buying it. The fact of not being able to set the rh-1 in shuffle mode, for instance, but only using the remote, is very uncomfortable for me. I knew all this before I bought it, but it's when you handle with it when you really realize if it was suitable for you.

This is only a criticism and I repeat, it's a wonderful machine as for sound quality.

Edited by dogville

To be honest, I think you are able to eject any portable while it is playing... Without the possibility of any damage.

I'll test this out on my fiances RH10 this evening, I know my E900 will eject while playing, and I think I remember other units doing it as well.

The only thing I am sure of is that with any recording portable (at least any I have owned), when the recording mechanism is engaged the eject mechanism is locked. I think that this is due to the fact that while recording, there is a magnetic head on top of the disc as well as the laser below. Ejecting during this could easily damage the recording as well as the disc. Alternately, while playing there is only the optical laser below the disc that is in use, and ejecting during this I don't think could damage the medium.

I know that with some decks, the magnetic head on top of the disc actually touches it... However I don't think this is the case with portables, but I could be wrong.

Regardless, there is much more possibility of damage to recorded data and the medium itself if the disc was accidentally ejected while recording versus while playing, hence the eject protection whilst recording.

It would be great if some others would test different units to double-check for me that the units don't lock the lid while playing.

EDIT: I won't argue that the eject button on the RH1 is much easier to accidentally engage than other units. I'm just stating that I don't think the fact that it will eject while playing is unique to the RH1, and I don't think there is much risk that this could cause damage.

Edited by raintheory

On the contrary, it would be great if the rh-1 won't open accidentally due to that possible damage . The problem of this MD is exactly that; it's quite easy, not just to open but starting the playback from the beginning due to this awfully built button on pressing a bit.

regards

Totally agree with you. After some months of use, I must say that there are one very positve thing about this machine: IT SOUNDS GREAT. Unfortunately, the construction is really very very very disapointing as far as operation is concerned. Two main facts make me think this way:

1/ The awful eject button

2/ Everything must be done through the remote.

Although it seems I'm totally disapointed with the purchase, it's not so much, believe me. May be in spite of the good sound I should have thought it over before buying it. The fact of not being able to set the rh-1 in shuffle mode, for instance, but only using the remote, is very uncomfortable for me. I knew all this before I bought it, but it's when you handle with it when you really realize if it was suitable for you.

This is only a criticism and I repeat, it's a wonderful machine as for sound quality.

Agree with all your points. I would add to disappointments the rediculous price of a replacement battery. Display of RH10 makes it a better unit for playback. RH1 is a nice unit overall, though. Uploads SP and MDLP tracks perfectly, and it's pretty fast to boot.

To make things clear to you guys:

All MD recorders/downloaders have a built-in protection against ejection while the system file buffer has not been flushed on the disc yet.

It means that any disc with no modification pending (like recording, editing, erasing, etc...) can be instantly ejected by the operator, which I think does not cause any damage to the unit itself (hopefully the magnetic head is parked somewhere safe when not in use). While there are still disc modifications pending, the unit will prevent ejection (i.e. the ejection button does not work). As soon as the unit is not busy any more (usually, when the user stops playing or recording), the pending modifications are flushed to the disc and the ejection lock is released.

To take the RH-1 as example, as long as there are pending disc modifications, the recording light will flash and the ejection button is inoperable. As soon as the flashing ceases, the ejection button becomes operational again.

The only thing I am sure of is that with any recording portable (at least any I have owned), when the recording mechanism is engaged the eject mechanism is locked.

And I wonder why it doesn't work the same way when playing. I'm sure that if the button were flat, we wouldn't be chatting about this topic. :D:D:D;););)

Edited by dogville

I made it of aluminium, with a lot of filing and use of a minidrill. Only the painting could be better. But it works fine.

So don't cry, make it better yourself.

That's brilliant. As I'm not as handy as you with machinery I've been thinking about trying to stick a small piece of black plastic with the same curvature as the machine beside the eject button. This would have the same effect by making it difficult to press the button accidentally. I imagine something like a piece from a pen top might do the trick, but I haven't found anything suitable yet.

great, I for one am eagerly awaiting your instructions... but do take your time and make it as thorough as possible (and include some pics) so it becomes almost impossible for us (well me at least) to mess up our RH1's :P

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I'm very sorry that the promised description had lasted so long time, but now it's finished.

[attachmentid=2097]

Greetings

Stefan

I must say bravo!! Those are great instructions. I also liked how you put in pictures. And actually the wait isn't that long considering how much effort you put into this, it looks very professional, good job. Also props for having the guts to open up your RH1, I know I wouldn't unless I really, really had to. The English isn't too bad either, better then in some other language :lol: . I think I will do this once I get the proper tools and materials. Thanks again.

Edited by Sparda